Halo Database

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Halo Database! A creative community where all fandoms are celebrated and shared! Sit back, relax, and let the creative juices flow!

Latest topics

» *URGENT* Announcing plans for the future of the Database and Community. *URGENT*
by Impanther April 22nd 2020, 2:36 am

» Discuss Anything
by Impanther March 24th 2019, 2:30 pm

» Power Rangers: Legacy of the Dragon
by Impanther March 23rd 2019, 5:31 pm

» Sentinel; Good, Bad, and Ugly.
by Shad0wChas3r March 9th 2019, 10:46 pm

» Legacy: Zero Hour
by Shad0wChas3r February 8th 2019, 3:20 pm

» A.C.E.S Full Series
by Impanther January 21st 2019, 7:08 am

» Origins: Final Hour
by Shad0wChas3r April 18th 2018, 1:06 am

» 3rd Party Hosting issues
by Shad0wChas3r March 26th 2018, 11:43 am

» Writer's Roundtable
by Impanther March 24th 2018, 1:12 pm

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 200 on April 10th 2021, 9:38 am

3 posters

Overgaze. (A Database Original Tale)

Bad John
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Overgaze. (A Database Original Tale) Empty Overgaze. (A Database Original Tale)

Post  Bad John August 22nd 2013, 2:44 am

Pilot

"Your turn," a deep, solid, yet relaxed voice filled the room, "my young friend."

"Yeah, I'm not that much younger than you, Chief." His guest's voice was decidedly lighter and more relaxed, but lined with a tinge of frustration. His hand moved out of the darkness to slide his pawn forward.

Aidan King rested his elbows on the table. His black hair was closely cut, and his jaw was smooth, clean shaven. He was the picture of a man rapidly nearing his prime, strong, light skin draped over a well shaped visage. The thing that threw most people were his eyes. His irises were blood red, wide pupils focused. Now, those eyes were narrow with focus, as they looked down on the checkerboard.

His king was well guarded. His pawns were laid in place. He wondered if his opponent was even trying. Today had been a long day for him, most likely. He seemed low key, and relaxed, allowing Aidan to dominate the game.

The man before Aidan was cloaked in shadow. The board, and most of the smiling host, was illuminated, and the window only allowed the sparse light of night into the high apartment building.

Aidan moved his piece forward, knocking over his guest's knight.

"Jesus. I'm really out of practice." The guest tilted his head and rubbed the back of his neck. His host looked up at him, noting his troubled, yet amiable smile, absorbed by his misfortune in the game. "Did you really just invite me here to ream me in chess?"

Aidan sighed, and looked the guest in the eye. "I certainly hope that inviting you here was an inconvenience."

"Hey, an apartment is an apartment, and yours is decidedly less drab than mine, A-man."

The guest's cheshire cat smile did little to hide the warrior behind the careless face. The deep, brown eyes glowed in the dark, luminescent. A technology designed to unnerve opponents.

"I hear you took some of our recovery soldiers to task a week ago, Kuro." Aidan spoke fondly, as Kuro moved his knight, taking one of his bishops. "You're as strong as you were when I first met you. Once you'd dispatched them, we lost your trail AGAIN."

"Stop sending people to hunt me, and I'll stop fucking them up." Kuro hissed. He watched Aidan move his queen, knocking over his knight. "When I escaped, I MEANT it. If anyone else from back home in the Myriad invited me here, I would have used the opportunity to kill them. Plain and simple."

There was an uncomfortable silence. Aidan simply stared at Kuro, who shifted in his seat. "Speaking of home, what gives? How'd you end up living in a Penthouse in Andorra? This is pretty swanky. I'd expect a General to live in a place like this."

"You escaped five years ago, young one." Aidan looked up from the game completely. "Things have changed. I've seized control of the Myriad myself. Most of your tormentors have been...disposed of."

Kuro leaned forward, and his guest could see the faint remains of a scar on his shoulder, just beyond the sleeve of his shirt. "Is that so? Good for you. Moving up in the world," he said as he leaned back in his chair. "Most of them deserved to die, if not all, but I suppose I'm not very objective."

Aidan nodded. "Your mother has yet to be avenged. The man who ordered her dead is still alive."

Kuro's eyes flashed, and Aidan saw the light from the full moon outside bounce off of Kuro's teeth. They were borne in pure fury for a moment, but then relaxed. Aidan could feel Kuro's hand quiver with pent up anger. "...What are you going to DO with him?"

"Nothing. He's yours. A good faith gift, whether or not you accept my offer."

Aidan knew damn well that Kuro would NEVER refuse this offer. Kuro's toes curled in his shoes. His teeth ground, his eyes fixed on the table, narrow and burning with hate.

He then looked up at Aidan with sudden intensity. The humble host had made the interesting error of flicking his eyes towards the broadsword resting on the mantle.

Kuro's aggressive gaze turned towards him, and Aidan's returned the look. A fight in this large room was expected to go to the host, but the guest had been fighting non-stop for years, and had the darkness of the room on his side. Either of them could come out on top.

Aidan's calm hid a storm. Kuro was no different. Their battle could inspire poems and songs, were it carried out in public. Here, in this apartment, it would leave one of them dead, and nothing more.

Aidan smiled, happy to state his intent and end the angry stare-down. "Come with me, Kuro. Not as a trainer, not as a prisoner, as my right hand. Revenge isn't all I can offer you."

Kuro seized his chess piece, a rook, and knocked down Aidan's queen. A move made out of spite, knowing his opponent had him outgunned. Black pieces on the board were scarce, Aidan's white legion dominating the playing field, closing in on Kuro king.

"Aidy, you're every bit as good as I am at fighting. I know that. Why me?" Kuro settled down on the table, his chin rested on the back of his hand. He raised his eyebrow curiously.

"I learned a lot from watching you. Your escapes. The way you SHATTERED our guards, and eluded our response teams. Even unarmed, you were teasing our security teams. Beating enemies within an inch of their lives." Aidan sat up straight. "You're not worthless. You can be effectively fielded."

Aidan gently handed Kuro a file. He thumbed through it, relaxed. "I haven't forgotten our talks. You understood me, Kuro. You were a friend to me when I was unsure, despite the hardships you were forced to endure. I don't care why, but your decision to be of use to me will be rewarded, starting now."

Kuro's head tilted, interested. His arms folded across his chest.

"You need substance. A true challenge. Something to face alongside me. Besides, you know what growing up as an Heir was like." Aidan settled an arm on the table, and moved a pawn, more to pass the time than to achieve victory. "I've never had a FRIEND. I may as well start now."

"An heir?" Kuro grinned. "So, you were supposed to be the new War, huh?"

Aidan threw his head back in laughter, a gleeful laughter than nearly made Kuro jump back in alarm. Aidan King's piercing red eyes captured Kuro's brown, perturbed ones, peering deep into the eyes of the younger man in the dark.

"I am the new War, friend." Aidan grinned. "And I could use a Lieutenant."

Kuro shrugged. "Fine. But I want a PROPER suit. No Myriad Royal Guard suit." Kuro shuddered at the thought of the Myriad's typical armor. Blocky. Inflexible. Even painful when trying to sprint. Kuro's fist alone could find weaknesses in the impractical suits. "And FREE REIGN over the armory. Any weapon I want is MINE to use and dispose of as I see fit."

Aidan waved his hand. "Granted."

"And I don't LIVE with you people. Not another cage, not another vital tank, not another cryosphere. I keep my apartment. Only YOU get to know my address." Kuro leaned forward, a stern look on his face. "I keep my things where I LIKE my things, and nobody touches my things."

Aidan extended his hand. "As a King, I keep my word."

Kuro took it, and shook. "Then, let this be the start of a fruitful friendship." The younger man disengaged the handshake, and threw the file Aidan had given him on the table. Chess pieces were thrown in every direction in an explosion of ill sportsmanship. "Oops. Looks like we'll call the game a draw." Kuro grinned, and turned to leave. "Don't call me, I'll call you. And yes, I know where to find you."

The host nodded, satisfied.

"If you decided to alter our deal, you'll regret it." In an instant, leaped through the open window. Aidan could hear no footsteps outside the window.

Just as Aidan expected of a Bushin. Whatever his organization's former leaders had done sufficed to make him an interesting combatant, to say the least. They'd compared his skill to Aidan's, but that would remain to be seen.

Alone, he relaxed on his chair, and plucked a chess-piece from his lap. A knight, the horse's head curled between his fingertips. He admired it, then snapped it in half on a whim, tossing it over his shoulder. He moved to the window, and shut it, the cold air displeasing him. With that, he sat back at his table, pouring himself a drink.

Last edited by Bad John on September 3rd 2013, 11:36 am; edited 5 times in total
    Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Overgaze. (A Database Original Tale) Empty Re: Overgaze. (A Database Original Tale)

Post  Shad0wChas3r August 22nd 2013, 9:49 am

Well this is interesting. I'm going to guess this is deep into the past for the Brothers of the Apocalypse. Or perhaps an alternate timeline? Either way, I am going to guess, seeings how Randall is War. That perhaps Dare is Famine, or even Death. Moreso Death because of his evasiveness skills.

Great work John, I'm interested in seeing where this goes.
    Bad John
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Overgaze. (A Database Original Tale) Empty Re: Overgaze. (A Database Original Tale)

Post  Bad John August 22nd 2013, 10:49 am

This is a VERY alternate universe. There are no aliens, and technology is different.

Other than the horsemen, it's totally unrelated to Halo. I may do a crossover though, but this universe is mine to bend.

Dare isn't a horseman, though. Interesting guess. Smile

Thanks for reading, Morgan.
    Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r August 22nd 2013, 11:10 am

Of course John! I always will read your stories.

AH! So it's your own canon! Excellent! I thought of doing my own separate universe thing. But I've got many projects in the works right now.

Very interesting, I wonder who the enemies are, and how the technology will play out.
    Bad John
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Bad John August 22nd 2013, 11:27 am

OH. And sorry for the inconvenience, but Dare's name has been changed to Kuro. The entire chapter has been revised. xD

I struggled with finding a first name I liked. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited by Bad John on August 23rd 2013, 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny August 22nd 2013, 11:42 am

By Horsemen, do you mean THE Horsemen (in a different universe) or just the concept?

And I prefer the name Kuro, because I every time I saw Dare I thought of Veronica Dare from ODST.

So far I like what you've presented.
    Bad John
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Bad John August 22nd 2013, 12:00 pm

Their range of abilities, their origin story (since this ain't Halo, no forerunners), and their personalities are different, but they're the real deal in a different universe. Horsemen ride here.

And thanks. I like Kuro more. :P
    Bad John
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Overgaze. (A Database Original Tale) Empty Benal Beginnings.

Post  Bad John August 23rd 2013, 2:07 pm

The tubes were packed. Smooth and white, the bullet-train whizzed through the outskirts of the city. The crumbled, broken buildings were intermittently spotted by bonfires, or flashes of sudden light that sent shivers down the rider's spines.

The world at large was never entirely safe, but outskirts had it the worst. The flashes were most likely gunfire. Efari could hear slight pops and whizzes, but took comfort in the fact that the tubes were bullet-proof, and any attack on one of the major countries would result in swift death.

The country of Andell was no exception. Rather, it typified how lethal a country could be in pursuing its ambitions. Her two halves, Paldell and Andorra, were protected by the imposing Wall of Andell, built from material as smooth as marble and as black as space. Putting a dent in that wall would take more than an old rifle.

Travelling to this country was an obvious choice, but she was following her sister's wishes. Eidonna, Efari's sister, wanted her someplace safe, and their home country was becoming unstable. Government agencies were denouncing their officials, marshall law was declared in the capital city, and gunshots were becoming common place.

Efari stuffed her hand into her jeans pocket. She spared a sidelong glance at the man in the isle across from her. He had clearly been staring, but she was used to it.

Her hair, never dyed, was a striking shade of red. She had light freckles across her nose and cheeks. Men found her attractive, and she took pride in her looks, but rarely used them to her advantage.

She lifted her small small handheld to her face, her green eyes fixing on her older sister's chat window, and began typing.

Where do I go when I get off? Do I need to go through customs? She typed quickly, the tiny keyboard clicking with each move of her thumb. She palmed it, resting her hand on her lap. She took a small lemon candy from her bag, stuffing it into her mouth. She hadn't eaten in a while.

Her handheld vibrated, and she clicked it on. They'll search your bag, and wand you for weapons, Eidonna replied, but you should be cleared in a few minutes if you hustle to the front of the line.

Efari smiled vibrantly, and began typing. Where fom there? She noticed her typo, but didn't care to correct it. Eidonna would know what she meant. Where am I staying?

Eidonna replied in seconds. With my friend until I can put you up. Bagheera has a guest room. Learn to spell, by the way. :)

Efari's cheeks flushed as she burned with anger, but she let it slide. It was her own fault, and she knew her sister, anal as she was, would notice. Is she nice?

Eidonna took several minutes to respond, as Efari contemplated the name. Bagheera. It had a slow ring to it. It reminded her of something.

Bagheera is nice. Efari read her sister's message. It seemed odd, the way it was phrased. Settle in with Bagheera, and I'll come an visit you.

Efari shrugged. Not a bad setup, but whatever worked was fine with her.

The tube slid through Andell's immense, sturdy wall. Efari hadn't been looking out the window, so the only warning she got was the shadow of the wall, then total darkness. It was a quarter mile thick, and the tube's lights were slow to activate. Efari's heart raced.

She looked up, and the man who had been looking at her before was staring her in the eye. Efari stuck her tongue out at him, folding her arms across her chest. The man looked the other way for the rest of the ride, stricken with embarrassment.

Despite being the poorer, larger state, Paldell had sights and sounds that Efari hadn't dreamed of. Military men in heavy armor with smooth, clean weaponry. Private planes that flew, rivers, grass...it was a longshot from her polluted, slow moving home country.

"Move aside, miss." Efari was pushed aside by a military officer. He had the word Myriad printed on the side of his helmet. She raised her eyebrow at the word, wondering what it meant. Probably means ass. Efari restrained an urge to spit at the armored soldier, remembering how strict the law was in her home country. She knew nothing of the rules here, and was lucky they spoke her language. For all she knew, cursing that soldier could be a death sentence.

Customs had made her grumpy, but Efari retained her grace and poise. She turned a few heads, likely because her hair was done in two braids, one on each shoulder. The style here seemed to be short, straight hair, or unkempt curls. Women her age sneered and scoffed.

Say something. I'll knock all of you slatterns out COLD. Efari smiled at the thought of her knuckles digging into one of the bitches cheeks. Locals are such snobs.

Soon, she came to her building. It was on a corner, and didn't seem particularly high class, but she was hopeful. Her roommate, Bagheera, would welcome her with open arms. Efari imagined a slender, lithe, dark skinned, beautiful woman person who would cook for her, and charge low rent.

"...One can only dream..." Efari whimpered quietly to herself, perked up by the thought. Eidonna had wired her enough Silver to pay the first few weeks, so food might be...interesting until she could move into Andorra with her sister.

She stepped inside, and into the elevator unchallenged. Security was likely the tenant's duty. The elevator faced the street, and she could see foot traffic. There were no road vehicles she could see, the sky populated by slow and fast moving aircraft. The bell rung, and she turned and stepped out of the elevator.

She typed on her computer to Eidonna. I'm outside the room. Moment of truth. She smiled. Eidonna sent her a reply message, but she decided to wait to read it. She came to Bagheera's apartment number. 415, and knocked on the door.

There was no sound, and she opened the door. It wasn't clean, but not too far gone that she'd call it dirty. A lot of her fellow students had left their rooms worse, so Efari didn't begrudge Bagheera for having an untidy home. She picked up a styrofoam cup and tossed it into the trashcan.

She looked around. "Bagheera?"

She spotted the fridge.

Efari,

I'm out. Take whatever from the fridge. Guest room to the right.

She read the message to herself quietly, mouthing the words on the small sheet of torn paper. The handwriting wasn't that dreadful mix of cursive and print, so she could read it quite well.

What's not in my room is yours, so long as you don't break anything. Your sister is nice, so I have no problems putting you up as long as you need to stay, even indefinitely.

My room is locked. Don't be weird about it, it's my room, and my stuff.

Welcome!!

Your host.

Efari opened the fridge, and was delighted by the result. Ground beef, chicken, vegetables, fruit, milk, eggs, water, and juice. There was even a cheese, meat, pepper, and tomato pie in the corner. There was no box, leaving Efari wondering where Bagheera had bought such an interesting quarry.

Efari plucked an apple, and a slice of the pie. She ate it cold, savoring the taste. She drank milk and ate her apple until she felt like her stomach would burst. Efari casually strolled into her bedroom, and found one more pleasant surprise.

A small, crooked wedge of chocolate, with a note beside it.

Eidonna said you like this stuff. She's happy you're safe.

"Bagheera, where-ever you are, you're the greatest lady on the planet." Efari jammed the chocolate into her mouth, and started unpacking.
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny August 23rd 2013, 5:22 pm

Until we know for sure Bagheera is a women (since Efari is assuming)... or what Bagheera even looks like...

I'm going to pretend it's a talking black panther from India Razz
    Bad John
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Bad John August 23rd 2013, 5:26 pm

Oh. You're a Jungle Book fan too. :D

I picked that name for that reason. Bagheera's story, and life, is similar to the old legend that Jungle Book is based on. :P
    Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r August 23rd 2013, 5:37 pm

Bagheera and Baloo were easily my favorite parts of that movie.
    Bad John
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Bad John August 23rd 2013, 6:00 pm

Same here. Lol.
    Bad John
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Bad John August 24th 2013, 7:48 pm

I revised, and completed chapter 1. Since it was a pilot piece, and this thing hasn't kicked off yet, I decided to do a few revisions.

Randall's name is Aidan King now. It just seems like a more fitting name for this universe's war. Not quite as intimidating as a name like Walter A. Law, but it has a youthful bite to it.

Expect a chapter later tonight. TTFN!
    Bad John
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Overgaze. (A Database Original Tale) Empty Introductory Shuffle.

Post  Bad John August 25th 2013, 1:03 am

Aidan walked commandingly through the hallway, his left hand rested regally on the sword that perched lightly on his belt. His crisp, red military uniform enhanced his natural confidence, matching his sharp red eyes. His hair was neat and combed, not a strand out of place. His shoes, a rare, shining black leather, were clean and clopped powerfully with each step, as though the man were riding a horse.

Even the few that were taller than him felt smaller as he'd passed. This was the man who had singlehandedly overthrown the previous leader of the Myriad, who now laid eight feet underground. Rather than be indicted for treason, he was given the King and Princess's express blessing.

He was feared. And as far as anyone knew, he was too smart, too careful, too slick, and too physically powerfully to be killed.

His underling, Shere Khan, followed his footsteps. Loyal to a fault, the man stood at Aidan's right. Khan constantly wore his bulky, solid armor, his arms folded across his chest, and a heavy barreled blaster rifle on his back. His eyes were jet black, and he loomed over Aidan's shoulder like a sentinel. It was his soldiers, and his guns, that secured Aidan's superiority. His jaw was constantly torqued, and those with the courage to joke about him behind his back reported that he had a stick lodged squarely in his rectum.

"When's this Kuro kid coming?" Khan grumbled over Aidan's shoulder. "We're gonna need him in the war room, right?"

Aidan shrugged. "Not particularly. I expected him to want to be here, and he may be tardy. I know little of his habits, outside of his fighting style."

Khan's fists tightened. His leader could hear the stretching of the soldier's gloves. "Something the matter, Commander Khan?"

Khan sighed, knowing exactly what would happen when he spike his mind. "I don't like-" He began, but was cut off post haste. Aidan stopped, and turned to face Khan before beginning the assault.

"I don't care what you don't like. I made a decision. You will stand by it. If you don't like it, bite your tongue." Aidan's sharp red glare was more effective than the sentence. Just a single stare would have sufficed, but the lashing certainly added to the effect.

"You sure run a tight ship, Aidan." The new voice was almost a purr. The tittering voice of a trickster enjoying himself. Aidan turned, and looked around, hand on his sword. Khan drew his rifle, but Aidan raised a hand.

"LOWER the weapon." Aidan glanced at Khan, then up at the vent from whence the voice came. "Kuro, you-"

The vent burst, and a young man landed on bent knees, perched on his toes, ready to spring. His eyes fixed on Khan.

"KURO, DON'T-" Aidan shouted, but Kuro had already burst towards Khan. What on earth?!

Khan's rifle blazed, firing blue lasers that ricocheted off of the ground where Kuro once was. His face blurred, avoiding a point blank shot.

Aidan followed each maneuver. He's showing me what he's made of. You can dodge blaster fire?

Kuro's arm wrapped around Khan's rifle. Khan's weapon was wrenched out of his hands. Kuro dropped it, and kicked it across the hall, staying low.

Khan, a physical powerhouse, swung his fist. Kuro moved with the arc of the blow, avoiding the swing and circling Khan, who stayed on him. The two went toe to toe for a moment, Khan's arms pistoning towards Kuro, who avoided each punch, a look of focus in his eyes. Avoiding bullets was one thing, but going toe to toe with Khan was a challenge. Khan's fists were like old world cannonfire. His thick hand drew a combat knife, the flash of steel nearly taking Kuro by surprise.

The challenger's shirt was cut. A glancing blow passed his dark skin. His brown eyes tracked the blade, avoiding each slice. Kuro's fist cocked to swing, but the powerful commander avoided the blow with finesse. He threw a high kick, Kuro's left arm absorbing the blow with no sign of pain.

Khan's muscles were powerful, but they lacked no speed. Kuro moved behind him, and before Khan could swing, he'd moved away.

Aidan smiled with approval. "And that was in your STREET clothes," he noted. "I'm impressed." Aidan approached his second in command. "Khan. Stand down."

"Fucking HOODLUM. Come back over here and get stuck." Khan held his knife backhanded, his nostrils flaring. He licked his lips. The three of them stood there in awkward silence, waiting for a move.

"KHAN," Aidan barked, "lower the knife."

Khan sheathed long, serrated blade. Kuro inspected the slit in his shirt, caused by Khan's knife. "This guy's good. He a cyborg?" Khan was still just as tense and angry, snorting with anger and pride.

I'll have your head. Khan growled, and stepped behind Aidan. Real fucking soon, maggot.

Kuro stepped on Khan's rifle, sweeping it up with his foot. He caught it, inspecting it. "Really cool guns." Kuro smiled. "The recovery team's old weapons were just old world pea-shooters. Blasters are much better."

Kuro turned back to Khan, who had his arms folded. The muscular, tall man stared at Kuro down his nose, his chin tilted confidently up. For a moment, Kuro was taken aback by the look, but he smiled, and tossed Khan his weapon. "Try not to hurt yourself with that, big guy," Kuro gave him a friendly hand gesture, his thumb tilted up.

Khan caught the rifle, huffing. No "well met." Khan wasn't impressed, and seemed to openly despise Kuro. A fair reaction, Kuro fancied.

Aidan smiled, and patted Kuro on the shoulder. "You think THAT'S good? Blasters are standard issue amoung the Myriad. I've got things to show you." Aidan ushered Kuro down the hall towards the armory. "Unless...you'd rather see the Doctor before business?"

Kuro's jaw torqued. His host could see a vindictive gleam behind his eyes.

You'd enjoy killing that man, wouldn't you? Aidan expected a yes.

"No. Just tell him I'll see him in a week." Kuro's answer threw Aidan off, but did little to change his mood. "I want him to know I'm coming. I want him to WAIT."

Aidan tilted his head, then shrugged. "I can appreciate that."

Khan watched the two walk away, assuming he was unwanted at the moment. His mind worked furiously. Why's he being so friendly with that darkskin trickster? Khan watched them leave, a storm brewing in his head.

There were a lot of storms these days.

Last edited by Bad John on August 27th 2013, 6:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny August 25th 2013, 1:42 pm

Khan, like Gengis Khan?

Overgaze. (A Database Original Tale) MeGustaBlackTextSS
    Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r August 25th 2013, 1:46 pm

Actually, I think it's another reference to Jungle Book. The Tiger's name was Lord/King Khan. Of course, that character might've been a reference to Ghengis.
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny August 25th 2013, 1:48 pm

Or BOTH!

Overgaze. (A Database Original Tale) Draft_lens19087238module156594676photo_1327583811me_gusta_wallpaper
    Bad John
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Overgaze. (A Database Original Tale) Empty Living Space.

Post  Bad John August 29th 2013, 8:16 pm

Efari laid on her bed, her belly full for the first time in ages. She sighed with relieved happiness. Her bed was incredibly soft for a guest bedroom.

But still, she wondered. What's so secret about Bagheera's room? She opened her eyes as she thought, staring up at the grey ceiling. I suppose I'll leave it alone. She probably just has space issues, and I'm not one to ruin a good deal.

Thinking back, a cold chill took her when she remembered the few times she'd MADE deals. Most of them were ruined fairly swiftly by her neurotic curiosity. Her mind looped in on itself, each thought returning to what intrigue would lie behind that door.

If it's locked from the inside, I could use a coat-hanger if she has any common tin ones. She looked around the room. Or I could fashion a key. She smiled, realizing that it would only take a few ounces of molten copper, and her own scanning equipment to smelt and carve a key. She had all the tools to do so, and no reason not to.

Except Bagheera had offered her a home. It was her duty to respect her privacy, was it not? Efari pinched the bridge of her nose, rolling onto her side. Being denied was not her strongsuit.

"Fine." Efari sat up, and made a solemn vow. "I will NOT enter Bagheera's room, no matter what."

"That's good to hear."

Efari whirled around, a scream on the edge of her throat. The man in the doorway's eyes widened, and in an instant, he cleared the distance between them, clapping his hand over her mouth. Her shout was muffled as she kicked the air around the man, thrashing and fighting his grip as he seized her waist.

The two fought, but the "intruder" was at a huge advantage, larger and stronger than the rather diminutive, red haired houseguest. He clamped down, as she screamed into his palm, wetting it with saliva.

"SHUT UP. I have NEIGHBORS, you know." The man quickly eased up. "Your sister said you were cool, so be COOL, dammit. I'm gonna let go, and you won't scream. Alright?"

Efari nodded, tears in her eyes. She hadn't heard most of what she said over the dull hum of terror, but she knew that she had to comply. She could see the window open behind him. He had climbed in through the WINDOW.

The attacker let go, and Efari stammered. "W-w-w-what do you want? I don't know where the money is..."

"I'm letting you live here for free." He raised his eyebrow. "OOOOOOH. You think I'm robbing you. Well, I'm not."

"So you're not gonna," Efari snorted, on the verge of tears, "like, take me?"

His eyes shot open. "I'M NOT A RAPIST! I'm your HOST. I'm the owner of the apartment, ya LOON." Kuro backed away from her, realizing that she clearly needed space to breathe. "Criminy. Sorry I snuck up on you. Need something to take the edge off? A drink? You must be scared to death."

Efari was now listening to him more intently, wiping her eyes and hiding the now unjustified fear from expression. "But your name is Bagheera. I thought you'd be..."

"KURO Bagheera. I took my mother's name." Kuro leaned against the wall, as Efari inspected him through bleary eyes.

Dark skin, and light, loose fitting clothing. Something was strange about his eyes, but she couldn't place it. By all rights, they seemed plain, brown, and sympathetic, if not a bit annoyed. "...Ok."

Kuro rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. "So...You're Efari? I know your sister, Eidonna. I owe her a lot, so if you're still comfortable staying here, feel free." The humble host scanned the room with oddly slow moving eyes.

THAT Efari noticed. The human eye looks in fixations. How are his moving so slowly with nothing to track? Efari wiped her nose.

"You seem like you've unpacked already. Should I take that as a yes? It's better than living in a shelter, I'll tell you that."

"I don't have enough to pay you for the room yet," Efari stood, and walked close to him. She took a few steps around her suitcase, partially to avoid tripping, but also as a test.

Kuro's eyes followed hers. They were tracking her in a perfect, human fixation. So his eyes can do both. Fixations and smooth movement with no target. Are they prosthetics...?

Efari shook Kuro's hand, and he smiled brightly for her, his white teeth displayed. Efari kept studying him, a smile on her face.

Neurotic curiosity, and incredible intuition. Those were Efari's weapons. She had no idea how many weapons Kuro Bagheera could employ, but she wanted now more than ever to find out.

"You're not paying for the room," Kuro flatly stated. The girl's thoughtful, pondering gaze was thrown into confusion. "You're bunking here for free. No charge."

"What? Why?" Efari blurted.

"Because Eidonna is my friend, and you're her family." Kuro yawned and stretched, backing out of the room. "Feel free to shower up. I'll be in my room. Knock if you want something. Anything in the fridge is up for grabs, EXCEPT the pie."

Efari's eyes widened. Oh shit. I ate some of his pie.

He scooped a small suitcase off of the kitchen table, as Efari followed him. He opened the fridge, and raised his eyebrow. He reached in, and pulled out the pie, which was missing a slice. He glanced at Efari. "I'm SO sorry, Bagheera. I didn't know it was off li-"

"Whatever. I don't care." Kuro chuckled. "Hell with it. Eat as much of it as you want, now. You've already had some anyway." He bit into it, and poured himself a drink.

"Look, friend of Eidonna or not, I feel like I should really pay you back somehow." Efari put a hand on his shoulder, but he just shrugged.

"There are no debts. Not from me." He stood. "I've got a guest room, and you're a guest. That's all there is to it." He chugged his drink, and placed the glass in the sink. "Feel free to help keep this place clean if you want though."

He casually strolled towards his room, and held the knob.

Clack chunk PLUNK. With a few light tugs, Kuro seemed to have activated some sort of lock without a key. Efari's inquisitive nature resurfaced, but she could only voice one question.

"What's in the suitcase?"

Kuro looked over his shoulder, then turned to her, his head tilted. "A gift." He shut the door, leaving Efari alone in the kitchen. She could hear him sit on his bed, and she heard the locks of the suitcase opening.

Curious indeed.
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny August 30th 2013, 11:29 pm

"Efari laid on her bed"....

"I'm not a rapist"?

Am disappoint son. Am disappoint.

Lol jk.

I wasn't expecting Bagheera to be Kuro though. I suppose it makes sense though.... Since they're both black.

Please don't hate me...

Last edited by Manny on August 31st 2013, 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
    Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r August 31st 2013, 12:41 am

Ouch... just ouch man.

In other woids, it was pretty awesome, I figured Bagheera was Kuro. But at the same time, I was wondering if he was perhaps one of the other Horsemen.

Hey, anythings possible.
    Bad John
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Overgaze. (A Database Original Tale) Empty Glimpse.

Post  Bad John September 3rd 2013, 11:25 am

Training sword on his back, and neat, black hair combed, Aidan moved with frightened uncertainty through the hallway. Not a day over ten, Aidan's gift was to be lost from his class-group. He'd failed to read the signs nearby telling him to give the doors he'd entered a wide berth. Now, he was deep into an area of the compound that no one seemed to belong in.

The light was sparse. There were steel boxes and cages. Aidan watched each shadow with caution. He'd already been trained not to feel fear for that which he cannot see; only aggression and interest. He kept his hand on the "toothpick" adolescent sword on his hip.

He came across something rather quickly. His eyes cast upon it with no surprise, as he knew SOMEONE was here with him. He slowly observed the pitiful form in the shadows.

A dark skinned boy, not much younger than him. He was mostly in the dark of the room, his wrists and ankles in chains. The boy was in a box that was too small to allow him to stand, but wide enough for him to lie down. He was sitting upright, his face square with Aidan.

The oddest sight was the metallic blinder affixed to the boy's face. It prevented him from looking at Aidan, but he could clearly hear him.

"Why are you in a cage?" Aidan asked the question quietly. "Are you alive?"

Young Kuro snorted, a light smile spreading across his face. "Why are YOU in a cage?"

"Is that a metaphor?"

"What's a metaphor?"

Aidan looked around, confused. "Well, I'm not in a cage." and Kuro's facial features drew back in anger and disgust. "You laughing at me, kid? C'mere and I'll wipe the smile off your face."

Aidan stared at Kuro, straight faced. The dark skinned chap didn't seem to be a threat, and he was pretty far gone from his tour, so he wanted to investigate this boy. An oddity in a box. "I'm not smiling."

Kuro chortled, then began openly laughing. "MYEAHAHAHAHAHAHAHhehehehehehe." He wiped his cheek, a tear running down his face. "Alright, I guess." He was still grinning.

Aidan reached into his bag. "You look hungry." Aidan, swayed by Kuro's strange positivity, and pitying his situation, stepped forward. "I'm supposed to serve my people, and you're a person, so you can have my-"

"Stay away," Kuro growled. "I'm not stupid. STAY BACK, or I'll break your knee."

Aidan and Kuro glowered at each-other in the dark, Kuro waiting for Aidan to move, and Aidan considering what to do.
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny September 4th 2013, 8:06 pm

The image of Kuro locked up in a cage with a mask thing was kinda... Disturbing.

Like some creepy vodoo/witchcraft shit.
    Bad John
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Bad John September 6th 2013, 2:45 am

The dark skinned young man's teeth were borne, and Aidan, perturbed, stayed back. "It's just a bag of crisps. I have water too."

"This is a trick. I'll open my mouth, and it'll be some medicine that needs to be tested. If you put anything near my mouth, I'll bite your fingers off. It's that simple."

Aidan took a single step forward. Kuro's hearing was apparently very sharp, as he reacted with a sap of his teeth. "I'm offering to help you, boy. Open your mouth and keep it open." It would take years for Kuro to see the grim, adult humor in that statement. For now, his face remained completely serious. His head was locked onto the movements of the intruder.

"The scientists brought you here," Kuro's jaw quivered with anger and fear as he spoke, "to mess with me. I'm not stupid. I know whatever you're gonna do isn't good, so you might as well just have the guards just make me take the pill, or the potion, or whatever the heck you're holding."

Aidan shook the bag. The chips crumbled and ground with a coarse rattling noise. "Hear that? Does that sound like pills?"

Kuro remained silent, as Aidan approached.

"...Alright. If you believe me now, I'll give you one." Aidan pulled three stacked chips from the bag, and slowly pushed them through the bars. His arm was almost completely silent. Kuro was in the dark, and lacked any real way to defend himself.

His mouth opened, and snapped shut in an attempt to bite Aidan's knuckle. Aidan moved his hand sharply out of the way. Kuro snapped his powerful jaws again. Aidan's sleeve was bitten. His teeth are like RAZORS! The boy avoided another bite, studying Kuro's teeth. They seemed normal, but the sheer biting force gave his teeth a bladelike lethality.

Aidan, even as a boy, always enjoyed a challenge. He timed his movement, swiping a chip into Kuro's mouth. The boy bit down, and crunched the chip to pieces. Aidan could see horror in Kuro's face, as he spat the chip out.

Then, a change occured in the boy's features. He tasted the remains. Flecks of salt. Dried potato. His mouth worked, and he swallowed, licking his lips.

"Well? CONVINCED? I nearly lost my arm doing that." Aidan looked at his sleeve. It was torn badly.

Kuro nodded.

"Sorry. More please."

Aidan cocked his head to the side, and offered Kuro another chip.

Aidan opened the doors to the immense armory, and his guest's jaw nearly hit the floor. Rows upon rows of weaponry greeted Kuro's round eyes. He immediately darted to one of the weapon racks.

Swords, blaster rifles and pistols, massive shields...to say nothing of the heavier ordinance. This was clearly Aidan's 'shock and awe' room, and Kuro was very clearly impressed by the display. He lifted a sword off of the wall. Its blade was folded metal, built to withstand cutting through even robotics. The weapons dulled quickly, but their first assault was always almighty.

"Put that away," Aidan chided Kuro. "It's far inferior to your own loadout. I have special weapons in mind for someone of YOUR calibre."

Kuro turned his head, and noticed two figured in the room. Aidan nodded to them. One was a broad shouldered, light skinned man. His eyes were fixed on Kuro with a look of lazy appraisal. The woman, an inch taller than Kuro, and sporting slightly darker skin than the norm of the country, had her hands on her hips. The two regarded the pair, and went on about their own conversations.

Kuro ignored them after a moment, and spoke to Aidan. "How did you revive the Myriad to this point? The entire Division used to be nearly worthless."

"They didn't have a War until now." Aidan gave a rather wicked smile. "Proving myself and taking control was the hard part. Once the Queen knew I was the real deal, she began to respect us again. Now, we work under her personally. Soon, even THAT will be behind us," Aidan boasted, a hand resting on his sword.

"Aidan, do you have any idea what all of this means to me?" Kuro looked Aidan seriously in the eye as he asked the question. "To be taken in as a general for WAR, after years of captivity and being on the run? Do you have any idea how much something you're doing on a WHIM is changing my life?"

Kuro's host shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know, Bagheera. What DOES it mean?"

Kuro looked up at the wall of firearms and blades, a somewhat unhinged, dreamlike smile on his face. "...It's FREEDOM, Aidan. Just one of these rifles could have solved every single one of my problems when I was a kid. If you gave me a single sword when I was living out of a suitcase and throwing off Myriad assassins, I'd have kissed you on the mouth."

"Well, I don't know about that," Aidan, slightly offset by the statement, put a hand on his hip. "I've wanted you to work for me for a long time. The issue was that if I'd asked, it would have gotten both of us killed. Come with me now, or you can live quietly. It's your choice."

Kuro turned to Aidan decisively, and saluted him. It was a formal Myriad salute, the blade of the palm resting against the forehead. He looked past Aidan. "I accept, sir. I'd be happy to take any position you have to offer."

Kuro turned his head as footsteps grew near. It was the man and woman from before. The woman had her arms folded, and the man had his wide, strong hands stuffed in his pockets.

Shere Khan was with them, trailing behind them with both hands on his rifle. Kuro was smart enough to be wary of Shere, but he didn't know these two new people either.

If Aidan intended to have him killed in this room, Shere alone had a solid chance of getting the job done. These other two had an air of confidence about them that made Kuro wonder if they were as skilled as Shere Khan himself.

The broad shouldered man grunted, and the woman saluted Aidan. "Master King." She snappily turned to Kuro, and the three of them stood at Aidan's sides.

"I have a special position in mind for you, Kuro Bagheera." Aidan drew his sword. "Kneel."

Shere Khan's eyes flashed with anger at both Kuro and Aidan, but he leashed his gaze. The woman seemed a bit confused, but had no objection to Aidan's intent. The other man didn't seem the least bit interested. Kuro got down on one knee.

"Thanks." Young Kuro licked water from the corner of his mouth, satisfied.

Aidan nodded. "I wasn't hungry, and you were. Think nothing of it."

Kuro smiled. "You're not a bad guy. I can repay you, y'know."

"I'm not really sure you can. No offense." Aidan stood, dusting off his pants. "I should leave, but I'll be back."

"You're an heir, right? One of the kids who's supposed to take a position in the Myriad?"

Aidan looked down at Kuro questioningly. "Yes."

"During your combat assessment, they'll have you box with one of the other kids. Put your right foot forward, instead of your left. Mirror them and jab with your right, and use your left as your power hand."

Aidan mentally noted the advice. Hand to hand fighting wasn't his strong suit, but he was passable. "...I'll tell you if that works."

Kuro leaned back in his cell, his chains rattling. "It will."

Kuro felt Aidan's longsword rest on his shoulder. Kuro admired the weight of the blade. Even with his eyes closed, he feel the head of its reflecting light on his face.

"Kuro, I need a right hand man. A squire. Someone who sees the world from a different perspective. Every War has had a person at his side who kept him in line."

"What about your generals?" Kuro asked cautiously, looking up at them.

The woman huffed, shifting her gaze away. Her cheeks and the bridge of her nose had a light line of freckles, despite her tan skin. "I'm not cut out to reign Aidan in. I'd just encourage the guy."

"Too stressful." The big man yawned. "I've already got my hands full."

"Full with what, Baloo? Eating and sleeping?" The woman snapped at him, grinning. "Your hands are full of salt and syrup on any given day. Kuro immediately started to like these two.

The man shrugged. "I didn't say WHAT my hands were full of. They're about to be full of your neck, Jacala."

Aidan turned his head slightly towards Shere Khan, expecting him to say something as Jacala and Baloo quarreled. Khan voiced no opinion, turning away. Kuro had the bad feeling that he had made a rival just by getting this position.

The creeping feeling of responsibility was starting to dawn on Kuro. Each War did indeed have a Squire. Despite the somewhat demure origins of the word, a Squire's power was often told to be vast, bested only by War himself. Taking this position would make him a legend. A rich, free legend. This situation had changed vastly, from Kuro expecting a violent, bloody ambush, to being offered a key to a true position of influence in Andell.

Aidan had turned his attention to his blade. He lowered it to Kuro's shoulder. "I hereby accept you as my Squire, Kuro Bagheera." Kuro nodded silently, at a loss for words. "Well, that's all I needed you for today. You can go home now."

Aidan sheathed his blade, waving Kuro off as he left. "Baloo. Give him his gift."

The immense wall of muscle looked down at Kuro with empty, uninterested eyes. He held out a single briefcase. His hand too large for the handle, he clenched his fingers around the bottom of it. "Here. Take it. Jacala will see you out. If anyone else can help you with something, then don't bother me."

Jacala yanked Kuro to his feet. "Don't know who you are, but WOW. He made you a squire on your first day here." Jacala watched Shere Khan stalk silently away. "Shere Khan has wanted that position for YEARS. You really boned him here."

Kuro gave Shere a straight, honest look. "Well...I'm not sure I like him anyway. He doesn't seem like a great guy, and I got a mouth to feed now. Greedy bastard probably doesn't even need a promotion."

Jacala torqued her jaw. "You a family guy? You're a little young for that, aren't you? Men don't tend to get married off that fast."

Kuro shook his head. "Roommate. Foreigner. Don't know her. Haven't met her yet, but she's my friend's sister, so I'm putting her up for a while. Maybe forever. "

"Pfft. That's something you and Aidan have in common. You're both generous as hell. I'd have kicked the stray cat out in two seconds." Jacala offered her hand. "Jacala Sasha. The lump that just gave you the suitcase is Stradivar Baloo."

"What do you two do?" Kuro asked.

"I'm head of intelligence, he's head of security." Jacala watched Baloo lumber away. "He may be lazy, but he can sniff out a security risk in seconds. It's his one talent besides breaking things and eating."

Kuro nodded. With Baloo's sheer size, he'd be a terrifying opponent. Adjusting to his new life meant getting to know these new people, and he was off to a good start with Jacala, and Aidan seemed to trust him implicitly, but Shere would likely never like him, and Baloo would probably never care.

With that, the Dragon took the Panther into his fold.
    With an army, an armory, a Tiger, Bear, and Crocodile, they may someday sit atop the country of gold.
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny September 6th 2013, 4:09 pm

The Squire is supposed to reign in War?

I think I'm seeing where the conflict will arise from. Whatever happens, I'm rooting for Aidan!
    Bad John
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Bad John September 6th 2013, 4:19 pm

Between Bagheera and Shere Khan, it was fairly obvious that Baloo was coming. xD

I like Aidan. His War-Generated ruthlessness is a given, and you'll see him break some skulls and step on people who aren't allied with him to get ahead, but he does like his soldiers, he can be quite charming, and is more willing to negotiate than Walter.

And he has a bigger sword.

Wink.

Also, I think you'll like Jacala.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 7th 2024, 9:40 pm