Halo Database

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Halo Database! A creative community where all fandoms are celebrated and shared! Sit back, relax, and let the creative juices flow!

Latest topics

» *URGENT* Announcing plans for the future of the Database and Community. *URGENT*
by Impanther April 22nd 2020, 2:36 am

» Discuss Anything
by Impanther March 24th 2019, 2:30 pm

» Power Rangers: Legacy of the Dragon
by Impanther March 23rd 2019, 5:31 pm

» Sentinel; Good, Bad, and Ugly.
by Shad0wChas3r March 9th 2019, 10:46 pm

» Legacy: Zero Hour
by Shad0wChas3r February 8th 2019, 3:20 pm

» A.C.E.S Full Series
by Impanther January 21st 2019, 7:08 am

» Origins: Final Hour
by Shad0wChas3r April 18th 2018, 1:06 am

» 3rd Party Hosting issues
by Shad0wChas3r March 26th 2018, 11:43 am

» Writer's Roundtable
by Impanther March 24th 2018, 1:12 pm

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 200 on April 10th 2021, 9:38 am

+12
WOLF
Impanther
dragon of darkness
Splazer Zero
foxyfoxy90
It's Kruger
zman007playr
Spinal Clerk
Doctor Jensen
I_IRONMAN_I
Manny
Bad John
16 posters

Discuss Anything

Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Discuss Anything  - Page 14 Empty Re: Discuss Anything

Post  Shad0wChas3r June 9th 2013, 9:20 am

dragon of darkness wrote:ok, ok i got something to say why am i still recruit i got one story or what ever it is almost done and i have over 175 post so why am i still recruit just want to put this up to attention because every one else has been ranking up

I'll see the necessary arrangements are made, thank you for bringing this up. However, may I ask that next time you take it in a little less of a tone? I may be over thinking it, but it sounds a bit snippy when I read it.

Which, you have every right to be concerned, you have been a great contributor here, but next time perhaps try and make a quick message that says 'Hey guys, I was curious about why I'm a Recruit, not a Chief Warrant Officer, I meet the requirements. Could you please check?'

When you bold your letters, ie. "Why am I still a recruit, it's the exact same as yelling online. Your bolding basically came across as this'

"WHY AM I STILL A RECRUIT?!" - Doesn't seem very professional, does it?

You do indeed have a partial story, and a hefty sum of posts. So I'll make you a Chief Warrant Officer. But next time you think you should get a promotion, please word it differently. Staff are more than happy to help you, but you can't automatically assume we know everything else that's going on around the forum.

Getting impatient, which is the vibe I got from your post, doesn't really help that matter.

Thanks for your patience, I'm changing you now. Just keep what I said in mind, please.
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny June 9th 2013, 11:59 am

dragon of darkness wrote:ok, ok i got something to say why am i still recruit i got one story or what ever it is almost done and i have over 175 post so why am i still recruit just want to put this up to attention because every one else has been ranking up
    Because gay sex is the only way to rank up here.

Duh.

lol. All jokes aside, just listen to what Shadow said. Which is to just ask nicely next time.

You wouldn't run into the office of your boss demanding a raise or promotion.

You might ask, but not demand. But you were right in raising the question.
    Bad John
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Bad John June 9th 2013, 12:52 pm

Hi DoD.

I agree with those two jokers. If you want somethin', just ask. Rank ups aren't automatic, and we're only human, so if you feel you're being short changed, just PM one of us and say please, and Morgan, being a nice chap, will happily handle it.

Keep calm, and don't yell at us. Very Happy
    Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r June 9th 2013, 1:01 pm

Bad John wrote:Hi DoD.

I agree with those two jokers. If you want somethin', just ask. Rank ups aren't automatic, and we're only human, so if you feel you're being short changed, just PM one of us and say please, and Morgan, being a nice chap, will happily handle it.

By the way, happy birthday John!
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny June 9th 2013, 1:24 pm

Shad0wChas3r wrote:
    Bad John wrote:Hi DoD.

By the way, happy birthday John!

Shad0wChas3r wrote:By the way, happy birthday John!

Shad0wChas3r wrote:happy birthday John!

What?

It's your birthday? Happy Birthday John!

[insert Happy Birthday song here]
    Bad John
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Bad John June 9th 2013, 1:46 pm

Thanks, guys. Very Happy
    Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r June 9th 2013, 1:58 pm

Bad John wrote:Thanks, guys. Very Happy

No problem! Hope you enjoy your day!
    dragon of darkness
    dragon of darkness

Post  dragon of darkness June 10th 2013, 12:14 am

ok i under stand shadow im sorry i came off like that and ty
    Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r June 10th 2013, 7:55 am

dragon of darkness wrote:ok i under stand shadow im sorry i came off like that and ty

It's okay, just try a little harder next time Smile . And you are welcome, I'm always willing to help.
    Impanther
    Impanther

Post  Impanther June 11th 2013, 12:03 am

I hate to say this but I think Sony just raped Microsoft at E3 this year.

Microsoft is making a stupid decision, anyone want to help rally gamers together and flood their emails with messages saying that we will not get the xbox one until MS gets rid of the damn requiring internet every twenty four hours, a fee to play on a friend's console and requiring kinect to use the console?

Seriously only Microsoft could do something that stupid it seems.
    Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r June 11th 2013, 12:36 am

Impanther wrote:I hate to say this but I think Sony just raped Microsoft at E3 this year.
    On the contrary, I feel it was the other way around. Besides, they are two companies, not two entities of opposite sex, rape is impossible.

Microsoft is making a stupid decision, anyone want to help rally gamers together and flood their emails with messages saying that we will not get the xbox one until MS gets rid of the damn requiring internet every twenty four hours

Gonna stop you there, boyo. Many people have internet in this day and age, hell, you couldn't even be posting here if you didn't have internet. Besides, the Xbox 1 will be wireless. As long as you are connected to the Database, you can be connected to the Live servers, thus allowing you to play your games freely.

a fee to play on a friend's console and requiring kinect to use the console?

That paying to play your game thing was bullshit, M$ said it was just a rumor some PS4 fanboy stated about the console. They said you could lend the game out to somebody, but you could only loan it to them once. While that isn't any better, it's still better than paying a fee.

Also, the Kinect has the following options: Off, Listen, On.

Off is what it says, the Kinect will not listen to commands, will not use it's camera, and for the love of god, will not spy on you.

Listen is where the Kinect is on standby, while the Xbox is offline. If the player says 'Xbox On', the Kinect will start up the system.

On is what it says, the Kinect will use it's camera, listen to commands, and pick up your motions.

Not only is the new Kinect better, being able to be used in ANY sized room in the house, but it's response to the players is unbelievable and crisp! If it really bothers you too much, thinking that your Government is going to listen in on every thing you have to say, then you can always turn the object off and not buy a Kinect game. This just saves money for those of us that DO want the Kinect.

What's necessarily stupid here? The Xbox One will have a much more proficient ability to load games, and is almost on par, if not better, than most gaming computers available. The Xbox One will introduce games that live, even when the console is off. This means that our dreams of having a Zombie horror game, where if you don't check in a little bit every day, could have a drastic effect on your friends.

Games like Battlefield 4 will finally be able to have 64 players in a match at once, and load properly. Dead Rising 3 will have THOUSANDS of Zombies on the map at all times, and you won't have to wait for a stupid loading screen to jump straight into the action.

Halo might finally see lobbies BIGGER than 16 players, think about that?! A 'Invasion' like game-type with 16 Spartans vs. 16 Covenant/Prometheans. The options will be limitless with the Xbox One!

And finally, if you don't want the Xbox One, you don't have to buy it. Microsoft will be keeping the 360 software going for those nostalgic fans that don't want to see their investments go to waste for many years to come.

Besides, Destiny is trying to be the first video game in history that is not only cross platform, but can play with other members of the other platforms. That means 360, X1, PS3, and PS4 users could all play Destiny at once, if Bungie can accomplish it.

Not only that, but if this got implemented, Console wars would be basically non-existent, because EVERYONE would be playing with Everyone using their preferences!

This is the next generation of gaming, gentlemen, try to open your mind to the vast possibilities, and don't get weighted down by wild rumors.

Edit: PS4 to require PAY TO PLAY to play online: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/e3-2013-playstation-plus-required-for-ps4-online-play

Case and point: Microsoft raped Sony.
    Impanther
    Impanther

Post  Impanther June 11th 2013, 8:56 am

Shad0wChas3r wrote:
    Impanther wrote:I hate to say this but I think Sony just raped Microsoft at E3 this year.
    On the contrary, I feel it was the other way around. Besides, they are two companies, not two entities of opposite sex, rape is impossible.

Microsoft is making a stupid decision, anyone want to help rally gamers together and flood their emails with messages saying that we will not get the xbox one until MS gets rid of the damn requiring internet every twenty four hours

Gonna stop you there, boyo. Many people have internet in this day and age, hell, you couldn't even be posting here if you didn't have internet. Besides, the Xbox 1 will be wireless. As long as you are connected to the Database, you can be connected to the Live servers, thus allowing you to play your games freely.

a fee to play on a friend's console and requiring kinect to use the console?

That paying to play your game thing was bullshit, M$ said it was just a rumor some PS4 fanboy stated about the console. They said you could lend the game out to somebody, but you could only loan it to them once. While that isn't any better, it's still better than paying a fee.

Also, the Kinect has the following options: Off, Listen, On.

Off is what it says, the Kinect will not listen to commands, will not use it's camera, and for the love of god, will not spy on you.

Listen is where the Kinect is on standby, while the Xbox is offline. If the player says 'Xbox On', the Kinect will start up the system.

On is what it says, the Kinect will use it's camera, listen to commands, and pick up your motions.

Not only is the new Kinect better, being able to be used in ANY sized room in the house, but it's response to the players is unbelievable and crisp! If it really bothers you too much, thinking that your Government is going to listen in on every thing you have to say, then you can always turn the object off and not buy a Kinect game. This just saves money for those of us that DO want the Kinect.

What's necessarily stupid here? The Xbox One will have a much more proficient ability to load games, and is almost on par, if not better, than most gaming computers available. The Xbox One will introduce games that live, even when the console is off. This means that our dreams of having a Zombie horror game, where if you don't check in a little bit every day, could have a drastic effect on your friends.

Games like Battlefield 4 will finally be able to have 64 players in a match at once, and load properly. Dead Rising 3 will have THOUSANDS of Zombies on the map at all times, and you won't have to wait for a stupid loading screen to jump straight into the action.

Halo might finally see lobbies BIGGER than 16 players, think about that?! A 'Invasion' like game-type with 16 Spartans vs. 16 Covenant/Prometheans. The options will be limitless with the Xbox One!

And finally, if you don't want the Xbox One, you don't have to buy it. Microsoft will be keeping the 360 software going for those nostalgic fans that don't want to see their investments go to waste for many years to come.

Besides, Destiny is trying to be the first video game in history that is not only cross platform, but can play with other members of the other platforms. That means 360, X1, PS3, and PS4 users could all play Destiny at once, if Bungie can accomplish it.

Not only that, but if this got implemented, Console wars would be basically non-existent, because EVERYONE would be playing with Everyone using their preferences!

This is the next generation of gaming, gentlemen, try to open your mind to the vast possibilities, and don't get weighted down by wild rumors.

Edit: PS4 to require PAY TO PLAY to play online: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/e3-2013-playstation-plus-required-for-ps4-online-play

Case and point: Microsoft raped Sony.

I call bullshit on the internet thing though. Power outages could ya know, mean that your xbox one won't be on for a while and for a while now I was without the internet so . . . yeah . . .

You may have gotten me on the fee thing but we need to wait until the xbox one comes out to confirm anything.

PS4 pay to play online . . . yeah, wasn't Microsoft already doing that? If I want to play Halo I want to play it offline at times without having an internet check in every so often.
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny June 11th 2013, 5:06 pm

At the PS4 announcement Sony basically have games everything they wanted: which was the opposite of Microsoft.

I'd say that's a win. NOT doing what the opponent is doing if it isn't working for them.

Besides the PS4 has more exclusives than the Xbox has launch titles...

I don't know if Microsoft is on crack or don't care about gamers anymore and are focusing on the people who insist on using their xboxes like a computer.
    Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r June 11th 2013, 5:48 pm

Manny wrote:At the PS4 announcement Sony basically have games everything they wanted: which was the opposite of Microsoft.

I'd say that's a win. NOT doing what the opponent is doing if it isn't working for them.

Besides the PS4 has more exclusives than the Xbox has launch titles...

I don't know if Microsoft is on crack or don't care about gamers anymore and are focusing on the people who insist on using their xboxes like a computer.

I dunno, myself? I'm getting the Xbox One. I've always liked Xbox gameplay over Sony's. I honestly think both Consoles are good, and both companies have their pros and cons. But I remain a firm supporter of the Xbox One, although I still acknowledge it's flaws.
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny June 11th 2013, 7:44 pm

To each his own.

I'm only loyal until I get stabbed in the back. Which is how I feel right now.

I hope they fix some these errors the day Halo 5 comes out because if they don't... I'll sit there and weep all day.
    Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r June 12th 2013, 7:40 am

Manny wrote:To each his own.

I'm only loyal until I get stabbed in the back. Which is how I feel right now.

I hope they fix some these errors the day Halo 5 comes out because if they don't... I'll sit there and weep all day.
    I highly doubt that they will.
    Doctor Jensen
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Doctor Jensen June 13th 2013, 11:44 am

When I get back from my mission, I'll probably buy both the PS4 and Xbox One because they'll have gone down in price quite a bit. I'm sad Halo 5 is coming out next year instead of 2015, meaning I'll have way to much to catch up on... Ugh.

Also, games to buy: Destiny, Halo 5, Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void (2015/2016), The Division, Killzone... The list goes on and on and on and on. Quite ridiculous actually.

As for the problems everyone has with the Xbox One, M$ is trying to make sure people aren't ripping them off by allowing everyone to play the games they didn't pay for. Lending games to friends---Did you know that that's actually illegal? It SAYS that in the license agreement that you agreed to. 

And of course, M$ wants everyone to have to buy their games. It riles my jimmies just as much as it does yours (Manny) but you can trust me, they WILL realize their mistake once Sony gets more sales--and I promise you, Sony will sell more PS4s. M$ will learn from those mistakes, trust me.
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny June 13th 2013, 3:27 pm

Doctor Jensen wrote:When I get back from my mission, I'll probably buy both the PS4 and Xbox One because they'll have gone down in price quite a bit. I'm sad Halo 5 is coming out next year instead of 2015, meaning I'll have way to much to catch up on... Ugh.

Also, games to buy: Destiny, Halo 5, Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void (2015/2016), The Division, Killzone... The list goes on and on and on and on. Quite ridiculous actually.

As for the problems everyone has with the Xbox One, M$ is trying to make sure people aren't ripping them off by allowing everyone to play the games they didn't pay for. Lending games to friends---Did you know that that's actually illegal? It SAYS that in the license agreement that you agreed to. 

And of course, M$ wants everyone to have to buy their games. It riles my jimmies just as much as it does yours (Manny) but you can trust me, they WILL realize their mistake once Sony gets more sales--and I promise you, Sony will sell more PS4s. M$ will learn from those mistakes, trust me.
    They better do so in time for Halo 5.

Did you know MS basically said "fuck you" to offline gamers? They interviewed MS and they said "fortunately for offline gamers we have a product for offline gaming: it's called the Xbox 360".

What the fuck? They had the AUDACITY to say that? What kind of company actually disrespects its customers?

This isn't even a Xbox One vs PS4 debate anymore. I just hate the lack of respect Microsoft is showing to customers, as if we OWE it to them to buy their products.

Fuck you M$, I'm done. Quit trying to control what I play and how I do it. If you do that, maybe I'll come back.
    Doctor Jensen
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Doctor Jensen June 13th 2013, 6:39 pm

Manny wrote:
    Doctor Jensen wrote:When I get back from my mission, I'll probably buy both the PS4 and Xbox One because they'll have gone down in price quite a bit. I'm sad Halo 5 is coming out next year instead of 2015, meaning I'll have way to much to catch up on... Ugh.

They better do so in time for Halo 5.

Did you know MS basically said "fuck you" to offline gamers? They interviewed MS and they said "fortunately for offline gamers we have a product for offline gaming: it's called the Xbox 360".

What the fuck? They had the AUDACITY to say that? What kind of company actually disrespects its customers?

This isn't even a Xbox One vs PS4 debate anymore. I just hate the lack of respect Microsoft is showing to customers, as if we OWE it to them to buy their products.

Fuck you M$, I'm done. Quit trying to control what I play and how I do it. If you do that, maybe I'll come back.
    You're making this way worse than it is.
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny June 13th 2013, 6:48 pm

When a company expects people to just get a better internet connection, or when they say "you can stick with our old model because we don't like how you play", that's pretty bad.
    Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r June 13th 2013, 8:55 pm

Manny wrote:When a company expects people to just get a better internet connection, or when they say "you can stick with our old model because we don't like how you play", that's pretty bad.
    But you neglect to realize that while what they did was quite unforgivable, they DID upgrade the 360 model to run ALMOST on par with the Xbox One, for those of you with poor internet connections.

Besides, I hate to sound like a dick, but welcome to the 21st century, where most everyone has an internet connection. Microsoft expects most everyone to have a stable internet connection, because that's how today's modern society functions. Virtually everything we do in our daily lives involves some sort of modern technology, involving computers. Hell, just by posting on the Database you are proving Microsoft's point.

If you have the internet compatibility to function on Halo Database, you have the internet compatibility for an Xbox One. If your power goes out, you aren't going to be playing your Xbox One, are you? Without power, the console won't work, regardless of it's 24 hour update phase, sure you could have a generator, but there should be other things on your mind then your next gaming session, damage control or contacting you power company comes to mind. So I think that this one quality can be pretty easily over looked.

Look, I'm not going to try to persuade you to convert back to the Xbox One. You feel betrayed, and you are entitled to your opinion. But for some of us, these things honestly don't bother us, as we can find a way to work around them. If you are one of those paranoid folk that are afraid your kinect will spy on you, whose to say the Kinect 1 model from the 360 wasn't any different. For that matter, Microsoft literally has NO reason to spy on you anyways, unless you are doing something illegal involving their products, namely, j-tagging or pirating.

That brings me to the 24 hour checks, these were developed to ensure that the spread of leaked games via LIVE could stop in their tracks. From a business standpoint, Leaking games ruins revenue, not only for M$, but for other gaming companies. Sure, the consumers can't wait for the game, and would literally kill to get a glimpse at the new game's functions. But for every person that is spoiled, is another potential customer that won't buy the game. This not only lessens the revenue for the Game Devs, but for M$ themselves.

This 24 hour mandatory check just ensures Microsoft that all of your hardware is legitimate, and not in any way illegal. While it isn't the best of options for people with unstable connections, it is a good way of keeping the amount of spoilers to a minimum pre-game release. Keeping hackers out of the LIVE multiplayer, and overall improving our experiences.

Not only do these updates access the cloud, but that cloud allows these games to evolve, even when your console is down. Play a game like, say, Ryse, which has the potential of a Multiplayer 'Siege' mode, where you build up an empire and must defend it from threats. This means that if you don't get online at least once per day, AI or even other Gamers can make an assault on your castle, even while you are offline. Doesn't sound like much fun, but the other options with evolving worlds is endless.

Take Dead Rising 3, for example, could you imagine barring yourself up in, say, a gun store, and Zombies are going to try every hour or so to break in, and you have a total of ten hours to get on and stop their onslaught, or lose your life? Again, that might not sound fun to you, but I think it helps emerse the gamer into the game, and keeps them on their toes.

Do what you will, whether it be PS4 or XB1, best of luck with whatever choice you will, but I'm staying with the Xbox console.
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny June 13th 2013, 10:22 pm

Shad0wChas3r wrote:But you neglect to realize that while what they did was quite unforgivable, they DID upgrade the 360 model to run ALMOST on par with the Xbox One, for those of you with poor internet connections.

Which just makes the Xbox One sound worse as a piece of hardware. It's supposed to be better, but if the Xbox 360 is being upgraded, what's the point of getting (and putting up) with the Xbox One? But the actual console itself isn't my beef, it's the decisions made.

Shad0wChas3r wrote:Besides, I hate to sound like a dick, but welcome to the 21st century, where most everyone has an internet connection. Microsoft expects most everyone to have a stable internet connection, because that's how today's modern society functions. Virtually everything we do in our daily lives involves some sort of modern technology, involving computers. Hell, just by posting on the Database you are proving Microsoft's point.

If you have the internet compatibility to function on Halo Database, you have the internet compatibility for an Xbox One. If your power goes out, you aren't going to be playing your Xbox One, are you? Without power, the console won't work, regardless of it's 24 hour update phase, sure you could have a generator, but there should be other things on your mind then your next gaming session, damage control or contacting you power company comes to mind. So I think that this one quality can be pretty easily over looked.

Obviously, but the internet can go down by itself as well. Like mine did a few weeks ago because of a massive storm. The power stayed on, but it messed with the internet.

It's not like I'm in the minority without internet connection but I don't find that fair. I should be given the choice to play offline or online. The freedom to do so is crucial. I don't feel like buying something and then having someone dictate how I'm going to use it.

Shad0wChas3r wrote:Look, I'm not going to try to persuade you to convert back to the Xbox One. You feel betrayed, and you are entitled to your opinion. But for some of us, these things honestly don't bother us, as we can find a way to work around them. If you are one of those paranoid folk that are afraid your kinect will spy on you, whose to say the Kinect 1 model from the 360 wasn't any different. For that matter, Microsoft literally has NO reason to spy on you anyways, unless you are doing something illegal involving their products, namely, j-tagging or pirating.

It's not about working around them. It's about whether you SHOULD be at all. People should have the freedom to game however they want. 

I buy the game, I should damn well actually own that copy. I want to lend it to lots of friends? I should be able to. I want to sell it? I should be able to.

Shad0wChas3r wrote:That brings me to the 24 hour checks, these were developed to ensure that the spread of leaked games via LIVE could stop in their tracks. From a business standpoint, Leaking games ruins revenue, not only for M$, but for other gaming companies. Sure, the consumers can't wait for the game, and would literally kill to get a glimpse at the new game's functions. But for every person that is spoiled, is another potential customer that won't buy the game. This not only lessens the revenue for the Game Devs, but for M$ themselves.

This 24 hour mandatory check just ensures Microsoft that all of your hardware is legitimate, and not in any way illegal. While it isn't the best of options for people with unstable connections, it is a good way of keeping the amount of spoilers to a minimum pre-game release. Keeping hackers out of the LIVE multiplayer, and overall improving our experiences.

If J-tagging and illegal games widespread, and I mean really widespread, Microsoft and game devs would have been struggling with money a long time ago. They keep rolling in thousands to millions of dollars. 

If 90% of the gaming population J-tagged, I would find that excusable for the online checks. But nowhere has there been any massive losses in revenue (relative to profits), suggesting that the Devs and MS are doing just fine. MS is just trying to control how we game and forcing everyone to buy everything new.

ShadowChaser wrote:Not only do these updates access the cloud, but that cloud allows these games to evolve, even when your console is down. Play a game like, say, Ryse, which has the potential of a Multiplayer 'Siege' mode, where you build up an empire and must defend it from threats. This means that if you don't get online at least once per day, AI or even other Gamers can make an assault on your castle, even while you are offline. Doesn't sound like much fun, but the other options with evolving worlds is endless.

Take Dead Rising 3, for example, could you imagine barring yourself up in, say, a gun store, and Zombies are going to try every hour or so to break in, and you have a total of ten hours to get on and stop their onslaught, or lose your life? Again, that might not sound fun to you, but I think it helps immerse the gamer into the game, and keeps them on their toes.

And that's not really fair to the dude that works all day, has a family, and can't get on every day. He should be able to game in his free time without having the game essentially punish him for having priorities (e.g. work, family, etc).

Or if you go on vacation, do you just get screwed over in the game? You don't usually bring your gaming console with you. Does MS expect you to be glued to the damn thing?

What about the University kids with back to back exams, and don't game until it's all done? Does the game punish them for not playing every day?

Let's say you hit hard times. You don't buy LIVE, or any games for a good amount of time. Maybe it gets so bad you have to cut off the internet? In this economy, who knows? Your chosen form of relaxation doesn't even allow you to do that.

Sure, there WILL be lots of kids playing with lots of time on their hands but that's not really fair. Gamers come from all walks of life, and MS ignoring them really puts them off. 

As for the immersion... you don't need 24h online access to do these things. Animal Crossing did it with the damn Gamecube, Nintendo DS, AND Wii, all of which were not connected to the internet 24/7. If you didn't play for a while, weeds would grow, people would move out, new people would move in etc. 

While fairly simple, it shows that changes CAN take place offline without the need for constant internet connection. The only exception is a constant multiplayer mode... except most people prefer to be there playing the multiplayer themselves.

The point is, people can't game everyday. Gaming is supposed to be something you do because you want to, not an obligation.

ShadowChaser wrote:Do what you will, whether it be PS4 or XB1, best of luck with whatever choice you will, but I'm staying with the Xbox console.

Thanks, but that wasn't the point of the argument. The point is that MS is treating the gaming population of the Xbox One like crap, expecting them to swallow their gimmicks without double thinking it.

If somebody has seriously though it through, acknowledges the flaws, but decides to stay that's their call. They clearly have the time and money to avoid such problems that may present other people. I can't nor will I argue that.

But Microsoft's decisions reflect their opinion of us, and I find that to be quite low. I don't like that.

They're trying to control how we game, and that's not their call to make. It's ours. As I said before, gaming is supposed to be something you do because you want to, not an obligation.

If Sony started to do the same thing, I'd switch over to PC gaming. If PC gaming did that, then Wii U. If they ALL started doing that, I'd probably go back to Xbox simply because I'm left with no other choice if I want to continue playing new games. 

So obviously I'd go with Xbox mainly because Halo. But this isn't the case. I'm being give the option by Sony to make my own decisions when it comes to gaming. That's how I like to game, on my own terms.

Nothing to do with the superiority of either console. They're both pretty much the same piece of hardware since they have similar graphics and run the same software.
    Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r June 13th 2013, 11:06 pm

Manny wrote:
    Shad0wChas3r wrote:But you neglect to realize that while what they did was quite unforgivable, they DID upgrade the 360 model to run ALMOST on par with the Xbox One, for those of you with poor internet connections.

Which just makes the Xbox One sound worse as a piece of hardware. It's supposed to be better, but if the Xbox 360 is being upgraded, what's the point of getting (and putting up) with the Xbox One? But the actual console itself isn't my beef, it's the decisions made.

Shad0wChas3r wrote:Besides, I hate to sound like a dick, but welcome to the 21st century, where most everyone has an internet connection. Microsoft expects most everyone to have a stable internet connection, because that's how today's modern society functions. Virtually everything we do in our daily lives involves some sort of modern technology, involving computers. Hell, just by posting on the Database you are proving Microsoft's point.

Obviously, but the internet can go down by itself as well. Like mine did a few weeks ago because of a massive storm. The power stayed on, but it messed with the internet.

It's not like I'm in the minority without internet connection but I don't find that fair. I should be given the choice to play offline or online. The freedom to do so is crucial. I don't feel like buying something and then having someone dictate how I'm going to use it.

Shad0wChas3r wrote:Look, I'm not going to try to persuade you to convert back to the Xbox One. You feel betrayed, and you are entitled to your opinion. But for some of us, these things honestly don't bother us, as we can find a way to work around them. If you are one of those paranoid folk that are afraid your kinect will spy on you, whose to say the Kinect 1 model from the 360 wasn't any different. For that matter, Microsoft literally has NO reason to spy on you anyways, unless you are doing something illegal involving their products, namely, j-tagging or pirating.

It's not about working around them. It's about whether you SHOULD be at all. People should have the freedom to game however they want. 

I buy the game, I should damn well actually own that copy. I want to lend it to lots of friends? I should be able to. I want to sell it? I should be able to.

Shad0wChas3r wrote:That brings me to the 24 hour checks, these were developed to ensure that the spread of leaked games via LIVE could stop in their tracks. From a business standpoint, Leaking games ruins revenue, not only for M$, but for other gaming companies. Sure, the consumers can't wait for the game, and would literally kill to get a glimpse at the new game's functions. But for every person that is spoiled, is another potential customer that won't buy the game. This not only lessens the revenue for the Game Devs, but for M$ themselves.

If J-tagging and illegal games widespread, and I mean really widespread, Microsoft and game devs would have been struggling with money a long time ago. They keep rolling in thousands to millions of dollars. 

If 90% of the gaming population J-tagged, I would find that excusable for the online checks. But nowhere has there been any massive losses in revenue (relative to profits), suggesting that the Devs and MS are doing just fine. MS is just trying to control how we game and forcing everyone to buy everything new.

ShadowChaser wrote:Not only do these updates access the cloud, but that cloud allows these games to evolve, even when your console is down. Play a game like, say, Ryse, which has the potential of a Multiplayer 'Siege' mode, where you build up an empire and must defend it from threats. This means that if you don't get online at least once per day, AI or even other Gamers can make an assault on your castle, even while you are offline. Doesn't sound like much fun, but the other options with evolving worlds is endless.

Take Dead Rising 3, for example, could you imagine barring yourself up in, say, a gun store, and Zombies are going to try every hour or so to break in, and you have a total of ten hours to get on and stop their onslaught, or lose your life? Again, that might not sound fun to you, but I think it helps immerse the gamer into the game, and keeps them on their toes.

And that's not really fair to the dude that works all day, has a family, and can't get on every day. He should be able to game in his free time without having the game essentially punish him for having priorities (e.g. work, family, etc).

Or if you go on vacation, do you just get screwed over in the game? You don't usually bring your gaming console with you. Does MS expect you to be glued to the damn thing?

What about the University kids with back to back exams, and don't game until it's all done? Does the game punish them for not playing every day?

Let's say you hit hard times. You don't buy LIVE, or any games for a good amount of time. Maybe it gets so bad you have to cut off the internet? In this economy, who knows? Your chosen form of relaxation doesn't even allow you to do that.

Sure, there WILL be lots of kids playing with lots of time on their hands but that's not really fair. Gamers come from all walks of life, and MS ignoring them really puts them off. 

As for the immersion... you don't need 24h online access to do these things. Animal Crossing did it with the damn Gamecube, Nintendo DS, AND Wii, all of which were not connected to the internet 24/7. If you didn't play for a while, weeds would grow, people would move out, new people would move in etc. 

While fairly simple, it shows that changes CAN take place offline without the need for constant internet connection. The only exception is a constant multiplayer mode... except most people prefer to be there playing the multiplayer themselves.

The point is, people can't game everyday. Gaming is supposed to be something you do because you want to, not an obligation.

ShadowChaser wrote:Do what you will, whether it be PS4 or XB1, best of luck with whatever choice you will, but I'm staying with the Xbox console.

Thanks, but that wasn't the point of the argument. The point is that MS is treating the gaming population of the Xbox One like crap, expecting them to swallow their gimmicks without double thinking it.

If somebody has seriously though it through, acknowledges the flaws, but decides to stay that's their call. They clearly have the time and money to avoid such problems that may present other people. I can't nor will I argue that.

But Microsoft's decisions reflect their opinion of us, and I find that to be quite low. I don't like that.

They're trying to control how we game, and that's not their call to make. It's ours. As I said before, gaming is supposed to be something you do because you want to, not an obligation.

If Sony started to do the same thing, I'd switch over to PC gaming. If PC gaming did that, then Wii U. If they ALL started doing that, I'd probably go back to Xbox simply because I'm left with no other choice if I want to continue playing new games. 

So obviously I'd go with Xbox mainly because Halo. But this isn't the case. I'm being give the option by Sony to make my own decisions when it comes to gaming. That's how I like to game, on my own terms.

Nothing to do with the superiority of either console. They're both pretty much the same piece of hardware since they have similar graphics and run the same software.

You've made your point, and I'm sorry you feel that way about the console and the company. If you had asked me a couple of weeks ago, when I was still skeptical, I would've probably agreed with you. Hell, I acknowledge the flaws with the Xbox One. But I don't have the proper internet strength required for PC gaming, and Console controllers are easier for me to use.

And I do not 'swallow gimmicks', while you weren't necessarily directing that towards me, I will let you know that I do my research before I purchase a console. I have weighed the pros and cons of each side, considered how they effect me as a *hardcore* gamer, and have determined that the Xbox One suits my interests, even with all of it's flaws. I am and always will be more accustomed to Xbox gameplay, and my preferences lie with Xbox over Playstation.

At this point, arguing is doing literally nothing for either party, so discussion should probably cease here. You don't like the Xbox One's features and the way Microsoft is presenting themselves as 'daddy knows best', I get that, and I respect your right to say so. But as I've already said, I really don't want a console war here- and before you say anything, yes, this is slowly resulting in a console war. Because soon someone is going to pull the 'PS4 has better blah blah blah' card, and then there is going to be conflict, I don't want that on the Database.

So I'm saying this now on an official scale, all future generation console discussion should be officially terminated, unless it's in separate support threads. No, this is not me complaining about 'losing' the argument. I just don't give a shit. Some people don't like the PS4, and some people don't like the Xbox One, and Microsoft even less than that. I just don't want this site, which it's main purpose serves as story telling, to become yet another battle ground in what is shaping to be the next big Console War of the 21st century.

Note: To lighten up the tension, I present to you what might just be the funniest face ever seen, post-death: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkZP05MNmoo

The face is 50 seconds in.
    Impanther
    Impanther

Post  Impanther June 14th 2013, 8:59 am

IMO I still think Microsoft should change the every twenty four hours internet requirement, that is in my opinion the dumbest idea ever . . . of all time.
    dragon of darkness
    dragon of darkness

Post  dragon of darkness June 15th 2013, 3:33 am

wow me and my bro just had this conversation a while ago Razz

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 27th 2024, 10:09 am