Welcome to the Halo Database! A creative community where all fandoms are celebrated and shared! Sit back, relax, and let the creative juices flow!

Latest topics

» Discuss Anything
by Bad John August 9th 2017, 10:52 pm

» Writer's Roundtable
by Bad John August 4th 2017, 11:23 pm

» New project trailer
by Impanther July 12th 2017, 7:32 pm

» Origins: Reclamation
by Shad0wChas3r July 12th 2017, 7:16 pm

» Godzilla: Gods and Demons
by Impanther July 12th 2017, 6:14 pm

» Sentinel; Lost to Light
by Shad0wChas3r June 23rd 2017, 2:58 am

» TWFF Btyes.
by Bad John June 20th 2017, 11:13 pm

» Collapse: A New World.
by Dee_Dawg June 1st 2017, 7:58 pm

» Those Who Fight Further.
by Bad John May 24th 2017, 6:01 pm

August 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 29 on October 1st 2013, 12:09 am

Writer's Roundtable

Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Writer's Roundtable

Post  Bad John on June 5th 2017, 9:30 pm

A place to solely discuss current projects, characters and plot ideas outside of their given topics. If you have questions or comments about your own or someone else's characterization, world building, plot ideas, inspiration, or you just need to bounce ideas off of someone, this topic should scratch that itch.

We're all writers, and I figured it'd be nice to talk shop once in a while.
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Re: Writer's Roundtable

Post  Shad0wChas3r on June 5th 2017, 9:36 pm

I whole-heartedly agree to the effect we should have a topic solely for the purpose of talking ideas and stuff of that nature. Discuss Anything is our place to talk about world and life affairs, but we've never really had anything for writing related purposes.

I think this topic is the perfect idea, and might help some of our less frequent authors get inspired for their own ideas. One of my favorite things on the old group on Bungie.net was the Q&A threads we'd create for our stories where everyone could ask for our inspirations and the like.

Hell, if we get enough inspiration, we may dare to attempt another collab thanks to this thread. Hopefully one that will be successful at that Razz .

\\'Boyo\\'

Thanks for Reading!

Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Bad John on June 5th 2017, 9:45 pm

Thanks, Morgan! :D

Just to get the ball rolling, here are some scatterbrained thoughts on my most recent and current project.

I haven't much gotten into the wider world of Those Who Fight Further, but I'm sorta going for an Attack on Titan vibe with the outside world. Monsters are everywhere, and Midgar is one of the few places that's truly safe from them. Nobody knows why they're so viciously aggressive towards humanity, and since guns are effective against them, nobody's asking. Monster is just a blanket term for anything that wants to hurt humans, and isn't an animal.

Alken's kinda my John-B069 this time around, although he isn't really the focus of the series. I sorta based him around the Fighter class in Final Fantasy Tactics; a swordsman who brutally and effectively uses barehanded strikes. Kinda like how John's weapon is a submachine gun, but he usually defaults to hand-to-hand combat.

Etechnia's my Cloud Strife, and the main character. Spiky hair, socially awkward, but the main difference is that she made it into SOLDIER and realized her dream of being First-Class, rather than washing out.

Officially, I'm not sure if there are any female SOLDIERs in FFVII, but I don't care. I like to have a decent sized female presence in any story I write, and I wanted to go with a lady for the lead. I'm already taking a shitload of liberties with the other plot elements. She's partially based on Nicole.

Nemsis is based on my characterization of Samus, though she takes Aerith's role in the story. She kinda combines their best traits. Samus's aloof and witty attitude, with Aerith's willful, rhapsodic free spirit. I'm gonna have to do more stuff with Nemsis around; I haven't gotten to employ her enough.

Alalonn and Sophron are the two Big Goods of the series for now. They're not the strongest SOLDIERs in Shinra, but they're certainly up there; Alalonn's brute physical power and Sophron's magical genius make them a horrifyingly effective team. Alalonn's the Kamina to everyone else's Simon.

Sophron just wants to do his job and research shit in peace, but he's stuck with a group of heroic jackasses and has a bit of a conscience, so he usually gets swept into whatever they're doing. Poor guy.

I'm still workshopping villains, but Amechanio is the current big bad. An amoral, eccentric, slightly incompetent but otherwise brilliant doctor. The heroes can't just kick his ass; to an extent, they're supposed to be allies. However, the good guys certainly aren't above fucking with his plans when they're suitably reprehensible. I've never worked with a dynamic like that before, and my current plotline may have dove into it too quickly.

So far, this is all an experiment until I find a cruising altitude for the plot; don't be surprised if I reboot it again, but I hope it doesn't come to that. >_<
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r on June 5th 2017, 9:58 pm

Bad John wrote: -Alalonn's the Kamina to everyone else's Simon.
    Hopefully not in the literal sense xD .

Band John wrote:I'm still workshopping villains, but Amechanio is the current big bad. An amoral, eccentric, slightly incompetent but otherwise brilliant doctor. The heroes can't just kick his ass; to an extent, they're supposed to be allies. However, the good guys certainly aren't above fucking with his plans when they're suitably reprehensible. I've never worked with a dynamic like that before, and my current plotline may have dove into it too quickly.

So far, this is all an experiment until I find a cruising altitude for the plot; don't be surprised if I reboot it again, but I hope it doesn't come to that. >_<

As someone who is notorious for killing 'bad' characters off far quicker than I can build them up, I must say that you don't seem to be rushing too much with the 'Amechanio is kind of a douche whose motives are morally questionable', considering this arc of the story focuses on him.

Besides the fact that we know he was a monumental feminine care product to the main cast (with the exception of Etechnia, Alallon and his brother perhaps), we don't truly know what motivates him to do the things he does. Is it a power grab? A secret deal with some unknown entity of overwhelming power? As a 'villain', I think your build up for him has been on par of what I've come to expect for many stories I've read.

If you feel a reboot is necessary, I feel that you should do what you think is best to convey the story you want to tell the best. Having done so recently with Blaine, I'll gladly admit that my newest iteration is probably my favorite. Much more Clark Kent and less Superman.

As for my own projects, I'll be summing the more prevalent ones in the following post, to separate my thoughts to your post and my own means of discussion to prevent confusion.

\\'Boyo\\'

Thanks for Reading!

Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Bad John on June 5th 2017, 10:16 pm

Shad0wChas3r wrote:Besides the fact that we know he was a monumental feminine care product to the main cast (with the exception of Etechnia, Alallon and his brother perhaps), we don't truly know what motivates him to do the things he does. Is it a power grab? A secret deal with some unknown entity of overwhelming power? As a 'villain', I think your build up for him has been on par of what I've come to expect for many stories I've read.

Allow me to answer that question! The answer is a little spoilery, but it doesn't hint at anything in the plot; it just tells you a bit about his place in the world.

Spoilers ahead!:
    I wish I could say yes, but the answer is a firm "nope." He is doing his job completely as designed; Shinra's upper echelon, with some of the SOLDIERs included, is evil, plain and simple. They're expansionist, fascist, and they make no bones about the fact that they all want money, power, land, and to enrich themselves.

Amechanio is essentially a Nazi doctor. His actions are completely endorsed by the president, with the exception of some of his crueller experiments, like ordering a covert ops team to detain a child based on unsound suspicions.

Doesn't that just make him all the more scary? Dude loves his work.

Anyway, I'm excited to hear your current story thoughts. Lol.
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r on June 5th 2017, 11:19 pm

Those of you that have frequented the board recently have noticed that I've been typing a small handful of stories. Many of which I have since put on the backboard as a lack of inspiration or other inhibiting issues have come up. For the sake of this discussion, I'll quickly discuss the three larger and more prominent ones that I've been plugging away at.

I'll start first with Origins, which for those of you that may or may not have been following, is the complete reboot to Blaine Harlowe's life. Now, I know I've done this numerous times in the past, and each time I've actually promised it'd be the last time. However, I was never truly satisfied with the way things turned out, whether it was the ending or the characters themselves.

Without spoiling much about it, we see my return to form with deaths that tend to have meaning behind them. Though, as a new feature, I've begun to add in unexpected and random deaths. This story is supposed to be a lot more darker and less 'Superman rip-off'. We can see this, as Blaine Harlowe, who everyone here might know as the law enforcer/ Lawful Good character has switched his motives to serve himself and the people he swore to protect, not necessarily the UNSC.

Most of my inspiration from this story comes from the initial idea I had for Blaine which was the good old 'Rags to Riches' motif. Many old ideas and new ideas have been coalesced from previous iterations to help mend any plot holes I've had in the past. Blaine is supposed to be a beacon of hope to Humanity, especially with John-117's questionable acts as of recent.

The idea for this story is to implement more of the Database narrative from all of you. There is some characters that haven't gotten a cameo, as I haven't exactly found a position for them that works well with your own canons. The story itself has been put on the back burner for now however, as I'm currently deciding where to go next.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Moving along to the second project I'm working on, this is a bit of a short spin-off story that holds no actual weight to the actual canon, despite sharing the same namesake. Origins; Absolution is a brief series of fight scenes involving a concept I once visited back in the old Bungie.net days.

Of course, I am talking about the Seven Deadly Sins. Originally, Famine had constructed a facility to test the wherewithal of several subjects (Blaine being the focus in that story) to go through the six circles of hell, and each floor boasted one of the sins. It was a very Dante's Inferno esque story that I never actually fleshed out correctly.

That being said, I've recently finished watching Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and the netflix dub of Seven Deadly Sins anime. Both stories helped personify each of the sins, and gave me the inspiration to do something similar. Origins; Absolution is the culmination of that inspiration.

In Origins; Absolution, Blaine has an altercation with Walter (aka War) which results in three of the deadly sins; Lust, Wrath, Pride, to be dispelled from him. In this story, the Sins were created by the Forerunners to dismiss the obviously flawed Four Horsmen. However, the Sins themselves went rogue, yet hosted enough power to make even War himself tremble in fear.

So each of the Four Horsemen hosted the Sins among themselves, using their bodies as the inescapable prison. Blaine's priority shifts after destroying Pride (through a means that was very inspired by a fight scene from a different anime). The purpose of this story, to avoid further spoilers, was to focus on the combat portion of the story instead of dialogue. Each of my characters have received an experimental suit, courtesy of Doctor Jean-Bailey, each with their own unique abilities.

The project was just a vent for some creative combat fights, as well as to concept new and unique armor abilities exclusive to my characters. In the end, I think the result is turning out well, even though I have two more updates to publish.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The third project I'll discuss is my own unique idea that is not video game related. In fact, you could consider the story to be my own. I am of course talking about; The Story Teller.

If you haven't checked out the story, it follows Clyde Fischer; a man who was once esteemed as a famous Hollywood star from every genre ranging from Comedy to Action/Tragedy. His world is turned upside down however, as an unknown bacterium/virus spreads, eradicating almost 80% of the Earth's population practically in the course of a week.

Two of the victims are his wife and seven year old daughter, as he himself has seemed to be immune to whatever the catastrophe was. CDC agents notice this, and after tranquilizing him, ship him off to the UK for their last standing CDC to inspect him and a handful of the others that were deemed 'immune'.

On this journey, he encounters a pair of teenagers who, after making their acquaintance, he views as his own children. With the world in tatters, the survivors of this outbreak aren't exactly out of the clear, as some of the survivors (as we've seen with one of the teenagers) have somehow gained access to what could only be described as magical powers.

Worst, however, wild-life and even people themselves have changed to fit this new world, with fantastical monsters creeping from the shadows. Their origins are unknown, though it might be linked to the plague that destroyed the world. After the incident in the CDC, involving a large explosion that separates him from the teens, Clyde find himself fleeing from one such monster, taking shelter in an old hermit blacksmith's house.

Learning the craft of smithing from this man, Clyde creates a sword of his very own and sets out to seek out the teenagers. I've put the story on the back burner for right now however, as I have been busy writing things like Origins; Absolution, as well as finding inspiration to continue the story.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The final project of this long winded post is one that hasn't entirely started yet. A teaser was posted recently following the gameplay reveal of Destiny 2. Much as Destiny 2 is the sequel to Destiny, Sentinel; Lost to Light, is a 'sequel' of sorts to the Drake/Lance Stratus saga.

In the same universe that followed Drake/Lance as the 'Guardians', Sentinel follows a young girl (which is a first time I'll have a female lead for a story I intend to finish) who is trained by Amethyst (a character from my other Destiny story) to help defend the Last Safe City, even though she hasn't been touched by the Light.

Following the attack on the Last City that drains all of the current Guardians of their Light, the main character gets blessed by a sudden burst of Light unseen by any Guardian before. This character will solely be used to highlight the new Titan Sentinel class (hence the name of the story) which is a replacement for the current Defender class.

I'm sure Devin, or Dee_Dawg was anxious to announce this. We were originally planning on waiting for the Beta of Destiny 2 to announce in case there were some interesting tidbits of new gameplay we could implement into the story, but I'm going to fully disclose it here. If you've read his story Collapse; A New World (or at least the few posts he's made), his main character will actually be joining my character in Sentinel.

In essence, Collapse is to build up his character so you all become accustomed to his Warlock character. Sentinel, however, will be a duo story written by the both of us. It'll be pretty similar to how Vale and John did/are doing Metallic Knights. This will be the first time I've actually worked one on one with another author to work on a project, and I'm really excited to get started on it, just as we hope you will enjoy the project.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, those are the current events to my running projects. I have many other projects that are so far on the back burner that they've actually gotten cold. I may resurrect them soon, but I'll wait until one of my current projects dies down.

I might go more in depth with each of the stories I've listed above. However, I feel I've taken enough of your time with what I've already said, so I'ma end it here.

\\'Boyo\\'

Thanks for Reading!

Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Bad John on June 5th 2017, 11:38 pm

Shad0w wrote:I'll start first with Origins, which for those of you that may or may not have been following, is the complete reboot to Blaine Harlowe's life. Now, I know I've done this numerous times in the past, and each time I've actually promised it'd be the last time. However, I was never truly satisfied with the way things turned out, whether it was the ending or the characters themselves.

In Alalonn's own words, "The perfect is the enemy of the good." However, there's nothing wrong with iteration and improvement. I've liked what I've read so far; every Blaine has felt more human.

The neat thing is one of my future ideas that I only briefly touched on is the idea of a multi-verse, where every iteration of Blaine has existed in his own time and space. Obviously that doesn't have any impact on this story, but it was a bit of a concept/easter egg that I thought of. -Morgan

Your third project reminds me of Steven King's The Stand, albeit with a more badass bent. I'm definitely gonna have to get into that; I love crapsack world stories where humanity loses a good deal of its population. Very Happy

Now that you mention it, it does give off a Stephen King vibe, doesn't it? That's absolutely hilarious to me, as I've been a huge fan of Stephen King for some time now, but I assure you this story wasn't inspired by any of his work.

I can't wait to delve into that story a bit more in the future. -Morgan

And dayum. A collab story? That sounds bitchin'. Two heads are often better than one. You're making me miss Metallic Knights.

To be honest, I've been looking for someone to do a project like this for a while. The only reason I didn't actually ask you was because I figured you were extremely busy. -Morgan
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r on June 6th 2017, 1:03 am

So I'm actually sorry, I read everything you typed. I thought I had pressed 'Quote' instead of 'Edit', so the responses to all of your comments are actually in your above post. That's actually really annoying, and I'm sorry.

\\'Boyo\\'

Thanks for Reading!

Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Bad John on June 12th 2017, 10:58 pm

I made some changes to Lioke as a character. At first I went with the quiet, sarcastic persona that I went with for Lucy, but I decided to add more personality.

Now she's much more expressive, noisy, nosey, and has some shades of Eddy from Ed Edd and Eddy. If there was a single sentence to sum her up, it'd be "WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT." It makes her one of the more dangerous SOLDIERs in the group, but at her core she's not particularly evil. She tends to stop short of doing unnecessary harm. Crime, however, is no problem. She spent the first years of her life shoplifting, swindling, and wallet snatching, so she'll totally rob someone if they have something she wants.

Alalonn appreciates her passion; when she wants something, she never settles for a half measure. That makes for an excellent warrior.

Sophron thinks she's the creepiest and stays away from her.
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Bad John on July 18th 2017, 12:18 am

Finally ironed out Etechnia's backstory. Spoilers for those who don't want to know, but since I'm sharing my unfiltered thought process here, I figured this would be an important place to jot it down for posterity.

Where Etechnia Came From:
    Alalonn started dating a woman with a six year old daughter years ago, that daughter being Etechnia.
    While indifferent to the idea of being a father, Alalonn loved Etechnia's mother very much, and was nice enough that Etechnia viewed her as the dad she never had. Unfortunately, she passed away due to an illness that ran in the family, leaving Alalonn with Etechnia.

Alone in the world, Etechnia idolized Alalonn, and joined the SOLDIER program against his explicit wishes for her not to do so. She proved herself, and Alalonn acknowledged her skill. He now sees her as his first pupil; his teaching after she made SOLDIER is what made her the killing-machine she is now.

Due to her inborn talent for combat, Alalonn wondered who Etechnia's father was. Nothing came of his search for her biological dad, so he eventually gave up; family is what you make it, after all. He saw her as a daughter, so the real dad could fuck off for abandoning the kid.

Hell, I haven't decided who her father is; he'll either be someone important, or he'll remain a mystery. Haven't decided.

So they're pretty close.
    Impanther

Post  Impanther on July 18th 2017, 8:11 am

New Project inbound

It is Power Rangers
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Bad John on August 4th 2017, 11:23 pm

Been brainstorming TWFF, and made a decision.

Since John-B069 dual wielded, I figured I'd have Alken do the same. Making him closer to the Fighter class from Final Fantasy Tactics; giving him a pair of shortswords; one double-sided, one one-sided.

Click here for the link. I like the look of 'em, considering I mocked them up in MS Paint. He usually goes for one at a time, but he'll double-fist every now and then.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is August 16th 2017, 5:39 pm