Halo Database

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Halo Database! A creative community where all fandoms are celebrated and shared! Sit back, relax, and let the creative juices flow!

Latest topics

» *URGENT* Announcing plans for the future of the Database and Community. *URGENT*
by Impanther April 22nd 2020, 2:36 am

» Discuss Anything
by Impanther March 24th 2019, 2:30 pm

» Power Rangers: Legacy of the Dragon
by Impanther March 23rd 2019, 5:31 pm

» Sentinel; Good, Bad, and Ugly.
by Shad0wChas3r March 9th 2019, 10:46 pm

» Legacy: Zero Hour
by Shad0wChas3r February 8th 2019, 3:20 pm

» A.C.E.S Full Series
by Impanther January 21st 2019, 7:08 am

» Origins: Final Hour
by Shad0wChas3r April 18th 2018, 1:06 am

» 3rd Party Hosting issues
by Shad0wChas3r March 26th 2018, 11:43 am

» Writer's Roundtable
by Impanther March 24th 2018, 1:12 pm

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 200 on April 10th 2021, 9:38 am

+3
It's Kruger
Shad0wChas3r
Bad John
7 posters

Writing Discussion Topic.

Bad John
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Writing Discussion Topic. Empty Writing Discussion Topic.

Post  Bad John August 9th 2013, 4:24 pm

We had one of these in the past, and it was rather beneficial to the board.

Discuss characters, plot elements, and story related things.

Also, on that note, I have an announcement to make.

I've been working on my Halo writings for a while, and was bitten with the "nostalgia bug," and started reading Metal and Mettle.

Some things about it struck me as...well, wrong, and that story was the FRAMEWORK for my entire canon.

So, RETCONS.

There are a few things about my universe that I can't really go back and retroactively change, so I'm just going to patch them here and now.

1. I'm changing John B694's, and the rest of Whisky Company's service tag. He was TECHNICALLY a member of Beta company, but the number is too high, and he was soon switched out into a different company. Even then, most of the service tags I picked, such as Lucy C555 were totally random.

So, his new service tag is W-069. Lucy's is W-055, Maura's is W-007. The reason for the skips in numbers is that the children were selected from a wide pool of candidates in Beta company, so anyone considered was given a number, though so few were given a spot, thus the skips.

2. All mentions of Mendicant Bias, Offensive Bias, and the Precursor are now non-canon. They were kinda stupid.

3. Maura's prosthetic arm is the left arm. I completely forgot which arm she lost, so I'm setting it in stone now. Left arm is robot arm.

4. Terry is dead. So is Caleb. Don't ask me how they died.

5(?). I'm thinking about changing Nine's name. I named him "John" so long ago, then tried to distance from it by giving him a nickname. I probably won't, but I'm thinkin' about it.

Them's the brakes, folks. I certainly hope this doesn't devalue your enjoyment of my past writings, and I'm going to continue with the series proper.
    Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Writing Discussion Topic. Empty Re: Writing Discussion Topic.

Post  Shad0wChas3r August 9th 2013, 5:16 pm

Personally I like that John's name is John. It always added on that 'MY NAME IS JOHN!' humor when Nine and Chief encountered each other.

As for the Pre-cursor, I thought it was rather interesting for a concept, and besides which, you DID hit the Librarian part on the head. There is also speculation that Precursors will appear in Halo 5 or Six, so perhaps that could be an unintentional foreshadowing, assuming you do a story-line for Nine that goes alongside the 5/6 timeline.
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny August 12th 2013, 3:54 pm

Speaking of John, let's talk about characters.

Out of all your characters, apart from your main one, which is your favourite protagonist and antagonist?

For people like myself, who lack any real antagonist, you can pick someone else's.

For example, I think my favourite antagonists have to be Colin and Butch. Unlike characters like Turl and War, there is no "big picture". There's no grand end to justify their means. Turl and War can both claim they are aiding their species by wiping out a threat but Colin and Butch really can't.

Both feel they've been wronged by one person, one SOLE person is somehow the cause of all their problems. They go on to find allies and resources to challenge whatever network their "enemy" has.

Colin found Lust, Wrath, Greed, and Butch allies himself with the Insurrectionists. I don't think either believed in the cause of their faction to begin with, they just wanted to kill Vance and Blaine.

It is only by EXTENSION, does the UNSC become their enemy since their enemy is part of that. They could care less about the UNSC as a whole, they just want Blaine/Vance.

Notice how Colin and Butch have no real beef with the Legion? That may be because I don't actively post, BUT it does make sense. Neither Blaine nor Vance have any real relation with the Legion, so why the hell should Butch and Colin care? I also doubt Butch gives a singular shit about the Freelancers as well.

I find this to be a HUGE difference from characters like Turl, for whom ALL of Humanity is the PRIMARY enemy; not solely an organization an individual just so happens to be a part of.

What I'm getting at is that the sheer determination and perhaps borderline obsession these characters display is what makes them intriguing. Their never ending thirst for "vengeance" (or whatever Butch/Colin calls it) leads them to accumulate resources and a network of allies for the SOLE reason of eliminating ONE man.

Which I find a lot more sadistic than doing whatever's necessary for "the greater good", whatever that may be.
    Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r August 12th 2013, 6:11 pm

I'm honored that you think that Butch is one of your favorite antagonists.

But I'm curious, you prompted the question of who your two favorite protagonists and antagonists are. You gave us the antagonists, but didn't state who your favorite protagonists were.

I'll gladly share my input in a moment. It's my father's birthday today and I want to be with him. *He's out of the house for now.*
    Bad John
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Bad John August 12th 2013, 6:47 pm

I like Turl and War for the opposite reason. They have a very specific pathology and ideaology, and many people would claim they aren't even evil.

Turl's against humans because he sees the humans as a constantly growing threat, and in a way, rightly so. He's not in it for "the great journey," he just wants to subvert a threat to his people, and his way of life. He sees the humans as the Legion.

War is somebody I like because he's not technically a villain. He's doing what he does for his PEOPLE. But, even if given the choice between good and evil, War chooses evil because he has SEEN what passes for good. Good is dangerous. Good is stupid. Good could drive his people extinct.

But, even though he disagrees with the Freelancers, he sees potential in them as warriors, and as the better part of the human race. Not the "superior" or the "right" part, but a "good" part. He enjoys a professional challenge, and as such, I don't really categorize him as a villain. He's just an ally that REALLY needs to be watched out for. An ally who would kill you if you gave him the right reason.

An ally who is needed, but stands for the exact opposite of what you believe in.
    It's Kruger
    It's Kruger
    Freelancer Operative

Post  It's Kruger August 12th 2013, 11:57 pm

Speaking of Retcons, I think I'm gonna makes some SERIOUS edits to the entirety of Vance's story. I went through and re-read them, and personally dislike all my work up until my finale on Lancer. I'm thinking of doing mostly the same thing, but I'll actually plan what I wanna do rather than give myself no foresight and working with that. Maybe when I finish Pathfinder. But I kinda re-kindled my love for Will's character. Mostly cause of his fight in Lancer. I may re-do his story too...

I too am honored. I based that story line with Colin on a real life situation I had during the time of writing.

I'd also like to credit @Bad John for almost all of names of my stories. I'm not very good at naming shit.

zman007playr
    ONI Operative

Post  zman007playr August 13th 2013, 12:15 am

you know, I'm going to select one of my characters and one of Shad's, in General Von Rundstedt and the one and only Admiral Blaine.

General Rundstedt is possibly, one of the best antagonists on this site, even though you guys know little about him, I will fill you in. He is like War, in the sense that he doesn't do what HE feels is right, but rather what IS right. In the one scene where we finally meet him in my story, we see him arguing with his fellow leaders about what actions to take. He knows that fighting is futile, and all he want's is what is best for the men under his command. He could care little about himself. He is actually making me question why he is a chief antagonist of my book lol.

And Blaine....who could forget Blaine. He shows us all, what it truly means to be human. Throughout the entire cannon he appears in he's loved, lived, laughed, fought, and most importantly.....lost.

We tend to feel Spartans, or our characters as, invunerable to time and space, well, mine seem to be, but Blaine and more importantly Shadow as a writer, show us what suffering truly is like.

(note i know others show this, but i felt more attached to Blaine and his story)
    Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r August 13th 2013, 12:41 am

[Note: I typed this before Zman did, I just didn't post it until just now. My choices are in no means biased.]

So as I said earlier, I'll give my input.

I like War as an antagonist because, like most villains, he has this air about him. He fights for what's right, and while the execution is anything but moral, his complete determination to eradicate anything that opposes Humanity, including Humanity itself, is what makes him the most interesting Villain on the board. He contradicts himself, killing Humans to preserve Humanity, inhumanely.

My second vote would likely go to John's rival when he was first inducted into Whiskey Company. His name eludes me, but in a sense, his motives are completely unorthodox, and he lays all of his blame on John for it. No matter how many times the Rising Storm revives him, he always attacks John. Which is understandable, once you have someone to blame, you'd do anything to make them play, and reason won't stop you.

This individual keeps getting knocked down by the Protagonist, and he keeps getting back up for another round. That is true antagonistic qualities.

As for Protagonists, there are many I'd like to mention, but only two stand out to me the most. Agent Nine being one of them, and the other, was Lieutenant Crabtree.

Nine is the epitome of what it truly means to be a hero. He fights for what he believe is right, and believes that everyone deserves a second chance, unless your pointing the barrel of your gun at innocent people that can't protect themselves, and even then, he won't kill you if you are disarmed, even when he disarmed you. That is, unless you attack first.

Lieutenant Crabtree doesn't let shit bother him. He's fought the Flood up close and personal before, and he doesn't need a special super suit or special augmentations to his body to do it. He realizes when things go south, but mounts up the courage to see it through. If the shit gets to thick, he'll consider retreat, but only so he can live to see another battle, and get even.
    Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r August 13th 2013, 12:43 am

zman007playr wrote:Shadow as a writer, show us what suffering truly is like.
    I'm honored, and sadly, you have NO idea how truthful those words are :/ .

There is a reason why most of my stories have tragic moments, and why I'm obsessed with 'Mister Cellophane'.

But we won't go there.

Sincerely, I'm honored that you enjoy Blaine so much.
    It's Kruger
    It's Kruger
    Freelancer Operative

Post  It's Kruger August 13th 2013, 12:44 am

On the topic of the thing Manny said, my personal favorite antagonist on the board has to be (I'm totally full of myself BTW) Wrath/Lust. I like to imagine that Wrath's the ultimate physical antagonist while Lust is a creepily smart A.I. and intellectual Antagonist who's intellect is match only by her cruelty.

On the flipside, my favorite protagonist has to be Jensen's character, Moroni. In the little that I read of him (Jensen's prologue), he seemed like a decent dude who's trying real hard to deal with a desperate situation. I actually try to replicate the desperate feel that Jensen had, but could never replicate it.
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny August 13th 2013, 12:50 am

Kruger 2521 wrote:On the topic of the thing Manny said, my personal favorite antagonist on the board has to be (I'm totally full of myself BTW) Wrath/Lust. I like to imagine that Wrath's the ultimate physical antagonist while Lust is a creepily smart A.I. and intellectual Antagonist who's intellect is match only by her cruelty.

On the flipside, my favorite protagonist has to be Jensen's character, Moroni. In the little that I read of him (Jensen's prologue), he seemed like a decent dude who's trying real hard to deal with a desperate situation. I actually try to replicate the desperate feel that Jensen had, but could never replicate it.
    Vale's right on the money guys... At least with his first part.

I said out of all YOUR characters, which is your favourite antagonist/protagonist.

I used Colin and Butch for antagonists because... Manuel is both the protagonist and antagonist. He protects Humanity but cruelly disposes of his enemies. That and most of his conflict is internal.

And I can't go around claiming my only (actually fleshed out) character is my favourite character Razz
    It's Kruger
    It's Kruger
    Freelancer Operative

Post  It's Kruger August 13th 2013, 12:57 am

In that case, Vance is my favorite protagonist. He an all around good guy, but he's super troubled and extremely violent at times. He's actually the written embodiment of my anguish, hatred, anger, and sarcasm, and the rest of his feelings are his own.
    Bad John
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Bad John August 13th 2013, 1:11 am

Thanks for the kind words regarding Nine, Morgan.

My favorite protagonist is the Master Chief. He embodies the word "selfless" in my mind.

Though Nine is more vocal, I tried to make them share that trait. They both don't KNOW what to do, because relative to the threat they're facing, they're both small. I wrote Nine as short because I wanted him to even seem small compared to his comrades. But, despite the fact that they're dwarfed by the sheer scale of their opponents, and the severity of their wounds (Nine has fought on despite broken bones, impalement, and once losing an eye; Chief has stood his ground even when he's been near death, and facing opponents he doesn't understand), and the sheer size of their opponent, they always get up. They always try.

Blaine's done it, Jorge has done so, Vance has done it, Will has done it. It's the will of a good man, or a Spartan, to keep fighting to win when something's amiss. When something precious is on the line, something inside you makes you keep trying despite everything that tells you to quit. Chief has that trait, perhaps moreso even than Nine.

So, Nine idolizes him. To an extent, he's bitter and jealous towards the Model IIs because they can do more than he can, in terms of physical strength and stamina. He's always pushed himself to be on their level because the Chief (and perhaps moreso Blaine, Manuel, and Jorge) was his role model. All he's known his entire life is that he was meant to be a Spartan, and to him, Spartan IIs are the TRUE Spartans.

What's more important than Chief's incredible willpower is his ability to lend strength, without even speaking. Being NEAR a Spartan II gives Marines courage. They're combat multipliers. They're Champions an Gods in battle. Even though Nine has the same effect, he worries he doesn't. That's why he's such a talker, because deep down he's nervous that his team-mates will lose heart, and he'll be alone out there if he doesn't do something to boost morale.

A lot of Nine's personality is reactionary to growing up idolizing the Chief, Blaine, Manuel, Will, Jorge, Linda, and the other Spartan IIs. He sees them as Superheroes, and even though he himself is on their level in the eyes of a common man, he doesn't know it.

When he realizes his true potential as a Leader, he'll finally stop being a kid at heart, and grow into the General he was meant to be. He'll still be a talker, but he'll learn to believe in the choices he makes, and not break down when he fails. He may be remarkable as a fighter now, but one day, he'll be remarkable as a leader among the Freelancers.

Then, Iola's generation will see in him the hero that he saw in Chief. Smile

Also, Maura has a kid. There is no father. It was partially Vale's idea. I'll explain later.
    Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r August 13th 2013, 1:17 am

Manny wrote:
    Kruger 2521 wrote:On the topic of the thing Manny said, my personal favorite antagonist on the board has to be (I'm totally full of myself BTW) Wrath/Lust. I like to imagine that Wrath's the ultimate physical antagonist while Lust is a creepily smart A.I. and intellectual Antagonist who's intellect is match only by her cruelty.

Vale's right on the money guys... At least with his first part.

I said out of all YOUR characters, which is your favourite antagonist/protagonist.

To be fair, I really couldn't choose any from my assortment. Because while I am pleased with my characters, I'd rather share my favorites from EVERYONE's pool instead. Because anyone can say they love their characters. But I don't want to be full of myself.

John: Any day man, any day.
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny August 13th 2013, 1:18 am

Of you're going to idolize Manuel... You need to sit down and reevaluate who you're idolizing.
    Bad John
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Bad John August 13th 2013, 1:20 am

Nine doesn't really idolize Manuel's...decision making, just his combat prowess.

Nine's trained all his life in close quarters, but in a bare-knuckle fight, he's only a MATCH for Manny due to Manuel's nature.

Nine's kinda grossed out by Manuel's ruthless side. xD
    Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r August 13th 2013, 4:13 am

If I did have to choose, my favorite Protagonists from my story would be these two:

Blaine:

Blaine is, as I've said, based on me. Every aspect of his life, every hardship he's gone through, everything about his personality, has happened to me in my life-time. There are some that involve dying children in his story, but that's not from me directly, that was some of my relatives, who have lost children. Despite the shit that I've experienced, the things that Blaine reflects to you guys, I manage to keep a positive outlook on life. Something that Blaine shares with me.

As I said the other night, when I was a kid, I always dreamed of being a super hero, kinda like Superman. I'd dream that I was the man of steel, so that life could throw whatever it wanted at me, and I could never be hurt again. The reason Craig died of Mesothelioma, was because my cousin, who was an influence on the ones I based Josh and Phil off of, died at the age of eighteen about six years ago to liver cancer. I liked to help people, despite getting very little in return for it. I made it my goal to make as many people happy as I could. To protect the ones I love, to stand by my friends with unbreakable loyalty.

To put my family's well being ahead of my own. My father, caring for a large family, works most of the day, and when he gets home, he's too tired to spend any time with us. That's why Morgan in the story wasn't around for Blaine's childhood. Despite this though, he always cares for his kids, even when he's too tired to do anything for himself.

Blaine's whole thing about being with Katie, while that never actually happened in real life. I wrote that because I wanted to feel good, to give the story a happier side. You might be wondering why I'm fascinated with the song 'Mister Cellophane'. That's because sadly, I am Mister Cellophane. You could walk right by me, look right through me, and never know I was there. That's why I hyped up Blaine's rank in the military, to make him the hero I always wanted to be. To gain recognition for things that he did, unlike me.

Blaine's personality is based off of mine, but a good portion of him is what I wish I could be. The guy people look up to, the one people can count on. This is why many of you think Blaine is impenetrable, perhaps even a Gary Stu. Because he is the thing I wish I could be, the guy that can never be hurt, the guy who is never rejected, the guy who people are inspired by.

Blaine makes me feel good about myself, because I do share many qualities with him, and I realize that I don't need to be augmented to be everything that Blaine is. He is the one Protagonist that I feel closest to, because essentially, he's me, saving the day Smile.

As for my other choice, it was pretty obvious:

Morgan: Morgan is named after me because he is the one thing I want to be. No, not a drunk Razz. A father that always keeps his family close at heart. He is based off of my father *who doesn't drink, mind you.* in likeness, and in spirit. So yeah, essentially I want to be like my Father. Not entirely like him, but the family-man. The one whose sons will always look up to him, the one who isn't afraid to keep all that he cares about safe.

He's one of my favorite characters, not just because he's based off of my Father. But because he's my source for heart-jerking moments. The part where he can say; 'I love you son', hugging Blaine while the band in the background plays with the wind instruments and the strings, and cause a heart-warming scene involving a man and his son. He likes to keep everyone's spirits high, and has a large influence on people's morale.

Josh and Phil, based off of my two brothers, are the ones he constantly bickers with the most. I figured that was what the character needed, and I think it helped boost him as a Protagonist.

For Antagonists, there was only two I thought of, mainly because there WERE only two.

Butch: His resent for Blaine, his unending thirst for revenge. They stem from my own feelings. There ARE people out there like Blaine, who DO steal everything out from under my nose, and suddenly I'm a zero all over again. So Butch is basically my rival for Blaine, because he's my negative side of the equation. Resentful of the ones that seemingly fuck him over in every aspect of his life.

But aside from that, he's also based on this bully in middle school that tested my patience to the point where I sent his ass to the ER. Hence why Butch is always beaten by Blaine. It's symbolism for my conscious constantly conflicting itself, but my positive reinforcement always triumphs, no matter how close my negativity gets to victory.

Clayton Sebastiani: I hate myself for this, but Clayton was based mostly off of Bane from The Dark Night Rises. I needed Darryl, who was named after my father, but based off of my older brother, to have a foe of his own. Of course, there is some symbolism here too.

He is based not only off of Bane, but also off of a friend of my older brother's girlfriend's ex. Yep, Isabella is also based off of someone too. Clayton's foe is his girlfriend's ex, who in real life nearly killed my older brother with a switch-blade.

My brother, however, is built just like me, and despite having a three on one fight, came out on top.

Clayton is a favorite antagonist of mine, because he symbolizes everything I hate about power seekers. They think they are invincible, and that they rule the world. When in reality they are nothing more that thugs that bit off more than they could chew.

Sorry if any of this bummed you guys out. But I figured it'd give you a bigger picture of why I chose them then just giving a brief character description. Yeah, shit is dark here.

Under NO circumstances am I saying I live a harder life than anyone else here, by the by.
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny August 13th 2013, 12:50 pm

Well now... My life seems relatively pampered now.

Anyways I think you did a good job of portraying what each character was supposed to be.
    Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r August 13th 2013, 3:20 pm

Manny wrote:Well now... My life seems relatively pampered now.

Anyways I think you did a good job of portraying what each character was supposed to be.
    Sorry if I made you feel bad or anything with my post. 'Cause honestly I'm fine, and this wasn't for attention seeking purposes either, or wanting of sympathy, I just figured you guys would like to know.

Thanks, I think I did the best job with Blaine.
    Bad John
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Bad John August 17th 2013, 8:26 pm

I've been concepting an entirely new story. Something that's all Original Content. Something science fiction.

The thing I tend to lose track of in my Halo writings is making the characters interact in a world that feels real. I lose track of some of my characters, they become one sided, and eventually, they get left behind. The Halo Universe grants me a lot of scale, and a lot of interesting chances for collabs, so I'm never gonna just ditch it, but I want something that I have the final say on.

It'll still have my mortal flaws as a writer - a rogue's gallery that gets too large to keep track of - inability to kill off characters I like for drama - overcommitting to things that I end up not so pumped about - but hey, I'll cross those bridges when I come to them.

It'll be action mostly, a bit of a slice of life in a world that was created by my twisted brain, and romance. Genuine romance where people try and fuck up and eventually find each-other, not just a predestined "This is your love interest because you are the main character for a minute" romance.

That, and my ubiquitous Author's Surrogate isn't the main character. Three cheers to me for being a humble Hugh for once. Very Happy

I never really struck out to write anything all my own, so I figure, now's a decent time to start. If and when I churn it out, I hope you fuckers enjoy it, and that Manny doesn't find too many reasons to rip it to pieces. Very Happy

I keed, Manny. I keed.
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny August 21st 2013, 5:15 pm

New Topic: Unused material.

Has there ever been unused material that, for one reason or another, went well...unused?

Here's one I have to share: my first "Draft" of the four horsemen.

Originally they were supposed to be biological brothers, all of them heirs of an immensely rich family.

However War cheated the other three out of it, which would have left Pestilence as a lab researcher, Death working for ONI, and Famine as a serial killer and drug addict (for some reason I can't remember).

However when War started up his Spartan program (which would have been more or less the same as the one in the story that actually formed) he recruited his three brothers.

Death was supposed to keep ONI off his trail, Pestilence was in charge of anything biological, and Famine would have trained them in certain areas (e.g. assassinations).

With time, War would have realized that if the Spartans decided to do away with him it wouldn't be a problem. So he augmented himself with Spartan I augments, and donned a suit of stolen ODST armour.

With time, War would become akin to Captain America or Batman: a peak human and a master of strategy. However, his physical state was simply not enough to combat a Spartan, which led him to increase the emphasis he placed on his Spartans about loyalty to him. Basically, since War couldn't physically dominate he would have done so through fear and manipulation.

With time, War would have modified his ODST suit and eventually upgraded to an SPI suit. Then he'd start combining features of the two to create the best suit possible without having to require augments. He figured that if he could mass produce the suit and recruit regular humans, a Spartan uprising might not result in his death.

I supposed that if I had gone with this, then when Halo 4 came around War would have obtained Spartan IV upgrades in his quest to compete with Spartan IIs and IIIs.

All in all this timeline would have ended with Manuel killing War after realizing he could physically dominate him if he stopped fearing War. Afterwards Manuel would have become the de facto leader of War's Spartans, which would have gone on to join the UNSC military.

Then I decided I preferred what you guys thought up and that it'd be more fun to write a villain/anti-hero.
    Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r August 21st 2013, 6:15 pm

There was a lot of unused material for Blaine that I was originally going to use, but trashed it after deciding to make him the 'Superhero' that I always wanted to be.

Originally, Blaine was supposed to be excommunicated by the UNSC after the Fall of Reach, with him and Fire-team Cobalt *Josh, Phil, Morgan, Scott.* would be marked as Insurrectionists, along with the rest of his crew.

Infuriated by the betrayal of the UNSC to him and his men, Blaine formed his own separate faction, which were essentially Space pirates. They fought to cleanse the Insurrection, while at the same time keeping the Covenant off of the innocents backs. They'd also prove to be a pain in the UNSC's ass, and might've eventually joined the Legion.

That's why Blaine's emblem is the jolly roger, even though it never got used.

But after I decided Blaine was supposed to be me as a Superman like thing, I decided against it.

Also, Darryl was supposed to eventually fall into the shoes of his surrogate father, Randal Dewinter, and head up an Insurrectionist faction to top all the others.

Again though, I decided it'd be more cool to make him Blaine's younger half-brother and his 'side-kick' of sorts.
    Bad John
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Bad John August 22nd 2013, 1:51 am

Getting started on my new story. Smile

And to answer your question, yes. I've explored tons of alternatives to what I'm up to now. Some involved character deaths.

Nine was going to be killed by a lethal shot from a needler, but I decided against it.

I originally intended for him to be more negative, and use an assault rifle, but I decided on dual wielded weapons because it seemed cooler, and I ditched his negativity because I wanted him to be more likable.

I also toyed with the idea of making him an ODST, but I wanted him to be able to adequately fight Elites and Brutes, and an ODST can't physically overpower a brute without a LOT of planning, and weight lifting.

Also, I wanted Famine to be a woman, but...nah. Decided against that too.

And there are abandoned character arcs. I was going to have the Freelancers track down and kill Foresight, but...I just never got around to it.

I do have a huge character arc ready for Famine, but I'm sitting on it for now.
    It's Kruger
    It's Kruger
    Freelancer Operative

Post  It's Kruger August 22nd 2013, 3:49 am

I originally was going to have Lancer end with Vance dying some over-glorified death, kinda like Will's. Then, after much consulting against it from John, I decided not to.

And, I was going to start a dynasty-like thing with Will's descendants, decided against it, and now it's... Sorta back on track.

Oh, and originally I was going to make Vance one of two clones of Will & Cricket's kid who died at birth (Under Cricket's request) and the second clone, who was only made just in case, was raised and eventually would find Vance and they'd bro down. Decided not to.

Also, John and I were going to write a story about Nine and Will meeting on a flood infested planet and Ryan's recovered body becomes infected by Flood and re-animated with Ryan's consciousness.

I have a lot of others, but that's all I can remember.
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny October 27th 2013, 12:29 am

I just had an idea pop into my head.

I'm mostly putting it here for safe keeping (I don't want to lose it in my mind).

It's an idea for a Halo collab, but something we'd do at a later point since we DO have H&D going on and Strange Planet starting to slowly rise up again. Strange Planet could always take a back seat again, since it's technically never ending and a good practice area for newcomers to get a feel for writing in the Halo universe.

Anyways, my idea would involve parallel dimensions (think Injustice: Gods Among Us) and time travel.

Basically instead of travelling forward and backwards through time, you'd travel diagonally, meaning you'd go to a different point in time in a different dimension. For the purposes of this collab, the dimensions we'd be talking about would be VERY similar to our Database one (all the big Halo events happened, maybe one radical change around the time of Halo 4) up until a certain point.

NOTE: We could write this H&D style where we decide on what we're doing before moving on, which I personally find to be the system I prefer now.
    It could go two ways:

1) It's set in the present day Halo Universe, and characters from the past and future of other dimensions appear. SO, for example, Manuel from the present could meet Manuel from the "past". If he met a Manuel from January 2546, this version of him would not have met Alzira yet. Likewise, if Manuel meet a Manuel from the "future" we could be dealing with a new War.

2) Something happens that requires/forces our present day characters to travel through time (and dimensions). For example, the team could witness Manuel's assault on that Innie base from so long ago, or they could wind up in War's empire from that Alt-Universe semi collab I had going on. The team could even go so far as to meet their children (I know Vale raised the question of ever using those characters as main characters at some point).

How we'd explain this? Probably some Precursor space magic fuckery that needs to be set straight. If we really wanted to go crazy with it, it wouldn't need to be canon. I just think the character interactions alone would be amusing (I can imagine Agent Nine's reaction to a red eyed Manuel).

Of course, this doesn't have to apply to Halo but I used it as an example since we have fairly fleshed out characters for use there (seeing as how this more character driven than story driven). We COULD do it with the H&D universe if we wanted, but that universe is still kinda only partially formed.

If there's some other universe we've worked on, or at least dabbled in, we could use that as well if the rest of you guys wanted to. This collab is mainly for us and for fun.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 8th 2024, 2:40 am