Halo Database

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Halo Database! A creative community where all fandoms are celebrated and shared! Sit back, relax, and let the creative juices flow!

Latest topics

» *URGENT* Announcing plans for the future of the Database and Community. *URGENT*
by Impanther April 22nd 2020, 2:36 am

» Discuss Anything
by Impanther March 24th 2019, 2:30 pm

» Power Rangers: Legacy of the Dragon
by Impanther March 23rd 2019, 5:31 pm

» Sentinel; Good, Bad, and Ugly.
by Shad0wChas3r March 9th 2019, 10:46 pm

» Legacy: Zero Hour
by Shad0wChas3r February 8th 2019, 3:20 pm

» A.C.E.S Full Series
by Impanther January 21st 2019, 7:08 am

» Origins: Final Hour
by Shad0wChas3r April 18th 2018, 1:06 am

» 3rd Party Hosting issues
by Shad0wChas3r March 26th 2018, 11:43 am

» Writer's Roundtable
by Impanther March 24th 2018, 1:12 pm

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 200 on April 10th 2021, 9:38 am

+12
WOLF
Impanther
dragon of darkness
Splazer Zero
foxyfoxy90
It's Kruger
zman007playr
Spinal Clerk
Doctor Jensen
I_IRONMAN_I
Manny
Bad John
16 posters

Discuss Anything

It's Kruger
    It's Kruger
    Freelancer Operative

Discuss Anything  - Page 38 Empty Re: Discuss Anything

Post  It's Kruger January 24th 2016, 11:13 pm

You know how in Tarantino movies, there are really long scenes with little to no break? Like in Inglorious Basterds, the very first "Jew Hunter" Scene lasted twenty minutes. The reason I bring this up is because those scenes are written and shot like that to make us uncomfortable and tense, just like that sick fuck Tarantino wants us to be. When it's done right, it is a neat but pretty boring film trick. When it's not, it slows the pace of the film it is in and disconnects the audience from the "Dream Sequence" films are supposed to be.

Music Videos are very similar in that manner. You need to think, as the editor, how you can use the scenes at your disposal to match the feel and context of the song you're using. Some do this by matching scene changes with the beat or melody, but in that music video, Morgan, you seemed to simply wish to either fill time or get the entire/most of the scenes you were using in that single section of the song. Parts like the corvette scene between "Blaine" and Jorge lasted too long and took me out of the overarching tone of the music video.

Also, the shots in custom games played off as corny, because it was super obvious that "Blaine" was in no danger. I understand that recent Halo titles don't have firefight, and that firefight is pretty unpredictable, but it would have been worth it instead of making the audience watch Blaine shoot past an retaliating enemy offscreen.

If it's your first attempt at making something like this, you didn't do a shitty job. Just remember that the only way to improve in shit like this is to try, try again.
    Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r January 25th 2016, 3:53 pm

In hindsight *which is 20/20*, I could have used some Firefight footage from Reach to alleviate some of that Jorge and Blaine time.

I also could have used some gameplay from ODST firefight, assuming there is a character in that game that DOESN'T have fingerless gloves. For Halo 4, I probably could have used some game clips of Spartan Ops *using the Record function on my Xbox*

Halo 5 could have been similar, I could have used some Warzone clips where I focused solely on Covenant/Prometheans.

I suppose I didn't really think about that when I made this. You're right though, this was my first time ever attempting something like this. I'm sorry it was kinda shitty, but I'll be sure to do better in the future.

Hell, I may even remake this one with the above ideas, and see how that works.
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny January 29th 2016, 11:59 am

MANNY USED LATEST TOPICS CARPET BOMB. IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE!

I'm baaack! I've been pretty busy with school, work, and trying to salvage a social life between the two. Looking forward to Maxim's stuff, John's destiny story, and some more sweet, sweet Metallic Knights.

PSA for all you guys... I think Jensen released another chapter for "dat suit story". I saw something about it on Facebook.
    Doctor Jensen
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Doctor Jensen February 1st 2016, 10:43 pm

Nah. I'm working on it though. Welcome back, Manny.
    Doctor Jensen
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Doctor Jensen February 22nd 2016, 6:04 pm

Got an Xbox one today. Halo 5 is now downloading. My excitement levels are off the chart.
    It's Kruger
    It's Kruger
    Freelancer Operative

Post  It's Kruger February 25th 2016, 4:39 pm

I'll be sitting here, awaiting you to finish the game, so I can ask you one question. I will call upon you to, and I expect you to answer.
    Doctor Jensen
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Doctor Jensen February 28th 2016, 10:38 pm

I finished it... The story was better than I'd heard, though I'd heard about how the story wasn't as good, so my expectations were not that high. Still, all around, it sets up a lot that could happen in Halo 6. Still excited for that. The multiplayer is good. I'm bad cause I haven't played for 2.5 years, but it's pretty good. Seems like 343 spent a little too much time on the less important aspect of Halo.
    Doctor Jensen
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Doctor Jensen March 21st 2016, 1:23 pm

So, how many of you are working on your own original story beside your Halo Fan fiction? For me, I don't have a lot of time to focus on both, so right now I'm writing my own original story. Just curious about what you guys are doing, though.
    Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r March 21st 2016, 2:27 pm

I started my original story some time ago. It's been in development behind the scenes while I work on Origins. Though, I've been putting more focus into the Halo fanfiction instead.
    Doctor Jensen
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Doctor Jensen March 24th 2016, 11:09 am

Yo everyone, give Manny some love on his Birthday. Have a good one, broski.
    Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r March 24th 2016, 2:42 pm

Hey, Happy Birthday Manny!
    Bad John
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Bad John March 24th 2016, 5:27 pm

Happy Birthday, Holmes!
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny April 7th 2016, 12:22 am

Super late, but many thanks for the birthday wishes. I've just been swamped with school work, and obviously I was out enjoying my birthday the day of.

So thanks again!
    Impanther
    Impanther

Post  Impanther April 8th 2016, 8:01 am

Busy almost half a year. Did I mention lots of photography?
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny April 9th 2016, 1:26 pm

Impanther wrote:Busy almost half a year. Did I mention lots of photography?
    No, but you could start a thread with some pictures. Like a small gallery, assuming this is artistic photography.
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny May 3rd 2016, 11:11 pm

PSA: If you haven't seen Zootopia yet, GO SEE IT.

It's a family friendly movie that is genuinely funny and has some pretty deep messages presented in a very clever way. 10/10, would see again.
    Bad John
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Bad John May 4th 2016, 1:56 pm

Didn't watch it because it didn't buzz me, and there was the whole furry stigma attached to it, but I might actually buckle down and see it.

Also, been thinking about Halo a lot recently, and there's an element of the lore that I haven't seen explored in a while regarding Spartan armor; ammunition storage. During the early days of Mjolnir Armor (the series IV and V armor specifically), Spartans were said to wear ammunition bearing vests over their armor to store and carry more ammunition. I think I'm gonna incorporate that into my writing more with the Freelancers. Attaching pieces of armor over their actual suit, like Halo Reach era attachments that they gradually ditch and lose as they run low on ammunition, or have to fight in close quarters.

Adding stuff like Counterassault, Security, and Sapper ammo storage units to their armor just kinda appeals to me. I like the contrast between the sleek, hot rod like Gen 2 armor and the functional military attachments that get kitted on via magnets and straps before a mission.
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny May 4th 2016, 2:26 pm

Bad John wrote:Didn't watch it because it didn't buzz me, and there was the whole furry stigma attached to it, but I might actually buckle down and see it.
    Ah, well I went with my little sister so I was somewhat dragged to it. I had heard good things about, as well as the furry thing, so going with my little sister seemed like the best cover, lol. Obviously she chose when and where, which was on really short notice, but I took advantage of the situation. Honestly though, calling it a furry thing feels like an insult because the movie was really well done and so much more than that.

However, I can definitely see how going to see it by yourself might seem weird. You could always just wait for it to come out on Blu-ray and then torrent it or something.

Bad John wrote:Also, been thinking about Halo a lot recently, and there's an element of the lore that I haven't seen explored in a while regarding Spartan armor; ammunition storage. During the early days of Mjolnir Armor (the series IV and V armor specifically), Spartans were said to wear ammunition bearing vests over their armor to store and carry more ammunition. I think I'm gonna incorporate that into my writing more with the Freelancers. Attaching pieces of armor over their actual suit, like Halo Reach era attachments that they gradually ditch and lose as they run low on ammunition, or have to fight in close quarters.

Adding stuff like Counterassault, Security, and Sapper ammo storage units to their armor just kinda appeals to me. I like the contrast between the sleek, hot rod like Gen 2 armor and the functional military attachments that get kitted on via magnets and straps before a mission.
    . Yes well I suppose they just never bothered with it in the games (besides Reach), and with "War games" I guess the cheap explanation is that everything is a simulation right down to the ammo.

The Helljumper ammo seems to have the most attachments to me, especially Buck's. So I guess it could work, but I find it odd more Spartan IVs don't do that. They all had previous military experience where they had to carry ammo around without any fancy armour. Not sure why MJOLNIR Gen 2 would change that unless there some hidden ammo compartments we are unaware of.

Alternatively, you could say Spartans are so efficient with ammo they only need to carry around a few extra mags... but that feels cheap as well.
    Doctor Jensen
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Doctor Jensen May 4th 2016, 4:13 pm

Spartans are just like normal soldiers in that aspect, anyway. Meaning, they are, I assume, trained to use ammo in the same way as marines and other soldiers are. I.E. suppression fire, regular fire, use ammo wisely when it counts, shoot your enemies a certain amount of times to make sure they're dead, etc.
    Bad John
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Bad John May 4th 2016, 8:56 pm

I imagine John-B069, despite being a STELLAR fighter, is a rather poor soldier in that regard. He has tons of bad habits in battle; wasting ammunition to make sure enemies stay down, doing poor perimeter checks, abandoning stealth in order to get in close, and generally undertaking an unprofessional amount of danger.

More of a gladiator than a soldier, really, and being under an informal PMC endorsed by the UNSC just gives him more opportunities to do things his own way. Lol.
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny May 4th 2016, 9:02 pm

How much autonomy would Bailey have been gifted to allow a supersoldier to develop such bad habits in training?

I certainly can't see Mendez allowing something like that, so how far removed was John and co from the UNSC and the general training regime of Spartans?
    Bad John
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Bad John May 4th 2016, 9:05 pm

He was trained with the rest of the Spartan IIIs before being pulled into the Headhunter program. But, during his extensive career as a Headhunter, he was given significant leeway to do things his way.

He does have shining moments in which he does things by the books, but he had to scrape and scuffle in manners unfitting of a classical "soldier." It's unmistakable that he's a Spartan, to be sure, but if he served with a more conservative Spartan, like, say, John-117 himself, they would be perturbed by the liberties he takes when fighting. Lol.
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny May 4th 2016, 11:02 pm

Well you know what they say; "if you don't use it, you lose it". Guess that applies to John's training but hey, if it looks stupid but it works... It ain't stupid.
    Bad John
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Bad John May 7th 2016, 2:56 am

Gonna do some Halo writing. One shots consisting of the Freelancers taking on the Prometheans, the Keepers of the One Freedom, and discovering the Creators. Most will be action oriented, but I have a few humorous/romantic chapters involved during slipspace travel onboard the Stonefree.
    Doctor Jensen
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Doctor Jensen May 7th 2016, 4:54 pm

Funny how none of us ever can really stop right Halo. We always go back to it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 10th 2024, 2:17 am