Halo Database

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Halo Database! A creative community where all fandoms are celebrated and shared! Sit back, relax, and let the creative juices flow!

Latest topics

» *URGENT* Announcing plans for the future of the Database and Community. *URGENT*
by Impanther April 22nd 2020, 2:36 am

» Discuss Anything
by Impanther March 24th 2019, 2:30 pm

» Power Rangers: Legacy of the Dragon
by Impanther March 23rd 2019, 5:31 pm

» Sentinel; Good, Bad, and Ugly.
by Shad0wChas3r March 9th 2019, 10:46 pm

» Legacy: Zero Hour
by Shad0wChas3r February 8th 2019, 3:20 pm

» A.C.E.S Full Series
by Impanther January 21st 2019, 7:08 am

» Origins: Final Hour
by Shad0wChas3r April 18th 2018, 1:06 am

» 3rd Party Hosting issues
by Shad0wChas3r March 26th 2018, 11:43 am

» Writer's Roundtable
by Impanther March 24th 2018, 1:12 pm

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 200 on April 10th 2021, 9:38 am

3 posters

A Legate's Courage

Doctor Jensen
    Freelancer Operative

A Legate's Courage Empty A Legate's Courage

Post  Doctor Jensen March 7th 2013, 12:26 am

Chapter 1: Deception

Walter A. Law sat quietly in his office, chewing a piece of steak. In the wings sat Heracles, Spartan 119, leaning against the wall in his Second Generation MJOLNIR armor, the Soldier class variant. His arms were folded and upon his face was an ever present scowl.

"You are aware why I've called you to my office, correct, Heracles?" Walter asked before popping another piece of steak in his mouth. Heracles nodded."Not much can be hidden from you, yes?" Heracles shrugged. "No, not much."

Walter let out a chuckle. Narrowing his eyes, Heracles analyzed his tone of voice; Walter was often unreadable, but now he could detect a tinge of... mocking. His statements had been fairly accurate: Heracles had always been sharp, quick to analyze. Only one person had been able to truly keep something from him. But now he sensed that War himself was keeping something from him.

"Ah, but I see," Walter--War--turned at this point and looked directly at him, "that you do not know what it is that I allude to in my monologue."

He held up a finger, took a bite of his food.

"Have I not always been straightforward with you Heracles? You have been one of my closest advisers, one of my greatest threats against our foes. I watched closest over you than I did any other Spartan in your training. You had something the others didn't, something I needed."

It was at this point that Heracles decided to speak.

"So you took me out of the program," he stated. "Trained me yourself."

"Precisely. Of course, you didn't learn my fighting style--its can't be taught--but you did become what I willed you into." War paused, his eyes became contemplative. "Silent, deadly, intelligent, you are an instrument to bring death to the enemies of the Legion, to the enemies of humanity."

What does this have to do with my analytic mind? Heracles thought. He remained silent.

"But I perceive your mind wanders back to the beginning of our conversation," he said. War always had a way of reading minds. "The reason I have spoken thus is because I have a mission for you such skills."

Heracles' expression hardened. "Go on."

"Recently one of our Spartan IV training facilities on Mars has gone silent. Rather than attract attention, I've decided to send you to investigate. I've already sent a team under Spartan 324 to investigate; however, due to recent... circumstances I've decided that it would be profitable to dispatch you to Mars."

Heracles nodded and pushed himself away from the wall. The prospect of working with Manuel, a man who he had been trained alongside with for a number of years in the Legion's Spartan program, was an exciting one.

"When do I leave?" Heracles asked.

"Tonight."

"All the better..."

Heracles turned towards the door.

"Before you go, Heracles, there is a bit of information you may need to know."

He faced War.

"Sir?"

Walter stood and straightened his suit. He ran a hand over his slicked back hair.

"Manuel doesn't know you're alive," he said. "When I removed you from the program, your were announced as KIA."

Heracles furrowed his brow.

"That may complicate things..." he said. "But, I'll work through it."

Walter flashed him a pleasant smile, one that Heracles knew meant for him to leave. He opened the elaborately decorated door and made for the hanger. His thoughts remained on the task ahead: how would Manuel react to seeing him for the first time in years? It would be interesting, that was for sure. Regardless, he'd get the job done.

A short time later he was in a Pelican en route to the Testudo which would be his ride to Mars.

What awaits me? he pondered as he boarded the ship. He was hurried into a cryo tube and everything turned into a dream.
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

A Legate's Courage Empty Re: A Legate's Courage

Post  Manny March 7th 2013, 2:44 pm

Heracles? Why not Hercules?

Anyways this story is about the Legion. That automatically makes it awesome sauce.

Doctor Jensen
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Doctor Jensen March 7th 2013, 5:42 pm

Heracles is a different way of saying Hercules. It depends on the culture. I believe--though I'm not sure--it was said one way by the Greeks and one way by the Romans. I think the Greeks actually said Heracles. And I do love Greece.

Also, good. I figured you'd like it.
    dragon of darkness
    dragon of darkness

Post  dragon of darkness March 7th 2013, 6:24 pm

Heracles is Greek. Hercules is Rome.
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny March 7th 2013, 10:42 pm

Doctor Jensen wrote:Only one person had been able to truly keep something from him. But now he sensed that War himself was keeping something from him.

Is that a reference to Manuel. If so... ALL the Legionnaires know what happened to Manuel. His departure was pretty public, and most people guessed the reason for it. Or at least partially.

If you want... You can have the priviledge of having my super secret timeline of Manuel life. Not all of it, just up to where he joins ONI. To create some kind of continuity between these characters' memories. You were my editor at one point, and we had Halo books, so think of it as an extension of those. An extension to knowing things first.

If you want.
    Doctor Jensen
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Doctor Jensen March 7th 2013, 11:56 pm

I thought so. Thanks Hope.

And Manuel... That would be AWESOMESAUCE. And if you know Doc, you know I never say those words in conjunction. I'll let you know what's going to happen in the story also. Also, that was a good catch. I didn't know if you'd catch it or not.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content