Halo Database

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Halo Database! A creative community where all fandoms are celebrated and shared! Sit back, relax, and let the creative juices flow!

Latest topics

» *URGENT* Announcing plans for the future of the Database and Community. *URGENT*
by Impanther April 22nd 2020, 2:36 am

» Discuss Anything
by Impanther March 24th 2019, 2:30 pm

» Power Rangers: Legacy of the Dragon
by Impanther March 23rd 2019, 5:31 pm

» Sentinel; Good, Bad, and Ugly.
by Shad0wChas3r March 9th 2019, 10:46 pm

» Legacy: Zero Hour
by Shad0wChas3r February 8th 2019, 3:20 pm

» A.C.E.S Full Series
by Impanther January 21st 2019, 7:08 am

» Origins: Final Hour
by Shad0wChas3r April 18th 2018, 1:06 am

» 3rd Party Hosting issues
by Shad0wChas3r March 26th 2018, 11:43 am

» Writer's Roundtable
by Impanther March 24th 2018, 1:12 pm

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 200 on April 10th 2021, 9:38 am

3 posters

Mystic Falls.

Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Mystic Falls. Empty Mystic Falls.

Post  Shad0wChas3r August 31st 2013, 2:03 am

Didn't really have anywhere else to put this. Please bare with me, this is my first attempt at a first person POV story. Things might be off, and that's okay, 'cause this is just a story. Just a test.

The prologue is in third person, however. As with every time we see the character introduced in the Prologue.
    Prologue: Routine Patrol.

Sheriff Michael Howard sighed as he turned on the windshield wipers on his police cruiser, the torrent of rain pattering his window. The tiny droplets exploding off of the glass like tiny fireworks. Glancing down at his console, the time read 11:30. Two more grueling hours patrolling the Scenic Route 12 on the way to the Mystic Falls, and then he was home free.

He could go home, eat a little bit of food, make love to his wife *oh how he was looking forward to that*, and call it a day. Sighing, he turned off of the exit to Interstate 82 and onto Route 12. The road became bumpy, as the man lowered his headlights, so as not to blind any oncoming traffic while he merged.

Reaching to his right, he grabbed his last resort, a lukewarm cup of joe to keep his lazy ass awake in the dead of the night. Taking a brave sip, he recoiled instantly, black, his absolute most hated form of coffee. He had specifically ordered two shots of half and half, and a spoonful of sugar. Clearly the teenager behind the counter, who looked suspiciously like a repeat offender of drug abuse, wanted to make a point that she could treat the Police however she pleased, and without consequence.

Huffing in disgust, he pulled over to the side of the road to reach into his glove compartment, where thankfully he had stored two tiny dispensers of half and half, and a packet of Splenda replacement sugar. Pouring the contents of the tiny plastic/paper containers into his cup, he disposed of the garbage, stirred it around, and took another swig. Unlike most people, coffee had an immediate effect, and he felt his droopy eyes snap awake.

Shaking his head with the new found energy surging through his veins, he continued to drive down the Scenic dirt road. He had seen this road many a times, and the beautiful view of Mystic Falls had finally alluded him. To him, they were just 'The Falls'. They had lost all mystery with every subsequent visit he made down this road, and every time he glanced at them, the more he had become familiar with them. Eventually, they became nothing special, nothing mysterious.

Or so he thought...

"Uh, this is Unit 3-4, do we have anyone patrolling Scenic Route 12?" Jason Greene, one of Michael's best pals from the Academy asked in the radio.

"Go ahead 3-4, this is 2-5 responding."

"Yeah, uh. We have uh, a woman down at the Mystic Falls Camp Grounds in distress. Claims she saw a stiff by the falls while enjoying a nice ol' dip in the surf. Could you check it out?"

"Yeah, I'll take the call. I'll tell Dispatch to have someone else finish my patrol in the meantime, thanks 3-4."

"Roger. I'll let Dispatch know for you, just stay safe out there 2-5."

Growling with frustration, Michael's plans for the evening was dwindling further and further away. First he'd have to clear out the immediate area, keep all unauthorized personnel out of the crime scene. Then he'd have to contact a Crime Scene Investigation unit, tell them everything he noticed, smelled, when he left, when he took a piss last, did he just fart?

"That was one time!" Michael growled to himself, but the CSI unit just never dropped it.

Ahead, the foliage dwindled into a massive driveway, which could accomodate two RVs, side by side, pulling in or out of the park. Turning in, the sign of the Camp Grounds stared back at him in an eerie fashion. A chipmunk, with his cheeks bulging out a good inch from where it should, stared at him with some bizarre, Japanese anime like eyes. Something meant for the little kids, but that meant little to Michael.

Camp grounds like this gave his the willies, but it was his duty to protect and serve. Pulling up to the main office, he opened the door to his cruiser, stepped outside, and entered the building.

"I s'ppose yer here because of the call?" A short, squat woman with dirty blonde hair approached him from behind the counter.

"Yes ma'am. Where exactly is the anonymous caller, I need to gather some more information."

"She hasn't called us back. I'm just a tad bit worried there. Poor dear was all in a sort. Didn't specify which lot she chose, but I'd imagine it'd have to be close to the falls."

"Thanks, I'll go check it out. If you can, warn your patrons to stay inside their lots, and to not come out until the coast is clear."

The woman nodded, as Michael walked out the door. Things weren't adding up, and he was wondering if this woman too had become victimized, as did the supposed corpse she 'saw'. Cruising back down the road, he looked around, as people fled into the safety of their RVs or tents, never to be bothered.

"This is 2-5, I'm going to have to request back-up at the Mystic Falls Camping Grounds. Our mysterious benefactor has allegedly gone missing, and I feel we might need a few extra pairs of hands to keep folks feel safe around here."

"Acknowledged 2-5. Making the request now, back-up should be arriving soon." the woman behind Dispatch cooed.

Parking on the grass by the embankment, Michael took one last swig from his coffee, before pulling out his flashlight, shining it along the water front. Walking along the edge of the water, he could clearly make out the footprints of a woman walking along the edge of the water, clearly that bit of information had been correct.

Following the trail, they stopped abruptly at the rock wall of the falls, the sound of the water thrashing into Mystic Lake was deafening, and he only wished the torment of the night would end, as the rain continued to pelt every inch of him. Clipping the light to his shoulder, Michael scaled the rocks expertly. When he reached the top, he closed his eyes, holding his hands on his knees while taking in a deep breath.

When he opened his eyes, it took nearly all of his strength not to fall back down the way he came, as the lightning flashed in the sky and revealed two corpses. One was a woman, stripped completely bare, no clothing to be found. Bruises and cuts adorned her otherwise flawless complexion, and Michael felt huge remorse. Cut in her prime, her blue eyes appeared to stare at the sky, as if asking 'why?'

The other corpse was an older male, the hair on his face was going slightly grey, and something about the look in his eyes showed that this gentleman was in the middle of some kind of meditation before being brutally murdered. The only things on the two corpses were a pair of index cards. Lifting them cautiously, Michael glanced at the one from the man's body.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by...
    Confused as to what the first note meant, other than a direct exerpt from one of Robert Frost's most notorious poems, Michael decided to glance at the other one.

In another moment down went Alice after it, never once considering how in the world she was to get out again.
    Beneath there, the message adorned an arrow, and Michael flipped it over, reading what was written. His breathing becoming labored, and a chill working it's way down his spine, as the lightning flashed.

Did I ever tell you the definition... of insanity?
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Mystic Falls. Empty Re: Mystic Falls.

Post  Manny August 31st 2013, 12:31 pm

Kinda reminds me o the Slender games right now... You know, with the whole notes thing.
    Bad John
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Bad John August 31st 2013, 2:56 pm

Hm. "Did I ever tell you the definition... of insanity?"

That line bugged me, because I knew I'd heard it before. Now, I've given up thinking about it.

I'd look it up, but that'd be cheating.

Good story though. I'm looking forward to the shift in perspective. Few people around here use First Person.
    Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r August 31st 2013, 4:33 pm

I know it's cheesy, and quite frankly I'm not to proud of it either. But the line set the mood I think.

It's only fair I give proper credit. The line is from Vaas, whom if you don't know, was the leader of the pirates in Far Cry 3. The line hit me when I first heard it, and it gave me inspiration to make this story.

No, there will not be any-more Far Cry references in this story, no similar names or story archs. This is something I came up with by my own, with various sources of inspiration.

As always, thanks for reading. I'll try my damndest to get another chapter ready soon.
    Shad0wChas3r
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r October 21st 2013, 5:35 pm

Chapter 1: Introduction.

Hello, you might be wondering who I am, and what this is all about. Well, let me be the first and only to explain. Y'see, my name is Lutherine. Yeah, kind of a crappy first name huh? Not to offend anyone with the name Lutherine or anything. But I wondered what the hell my parents saw in me that resorted to them calling me Lutherine.

But I'm getting off track here, you'll get used to it in due time. I'm the owner of this guide you have on your web-page at this current moment. Like Virgil was to Dante, I shall guide you around. For starters, I feel it should be important for me to tell you a bit about myself, as we're going to be going through this adventure together.

You already know my name is Lutherine Arnold, and you probably came to this site with the same interests as me. I'm an eighteen year old single boy, with parents collectively stricter than all the Nuns at the local Convent. You might think of me as the nerd, who strives only to get good grades in school, and you might be correct. Y'see, I'm only doing well in school, not because my parents want me to, but because I want to go to game development school.

That's where this site comes into play, and where I welcome you! You, my fellow gamers, have signed on to join my filming team. You came, because I always wanted to make a Metunnel channel and make a bunch of money off of my W-box 180 gaming skills to fund said college education. Because my family, strict as they are, won't allow me to go to work, nor to help me pay for tuition for said classes.

In other words, you are reading this paragraph of my short, pathetic life, because you wanted to take part in something great, to become one of the most popular Metunnel channels that the world has ever known! This is all possible! Everyone of you that has joined me today can take part in this. I'll need people with capture cards, people with recording software, perhaps even script writers, should we make Robotimas.

Without further delay, welcome to Candlestick productions' home-page! A chatbox will soon be available for you to chat with me and your fellow colleagues, while we discuss all that we aim to do, and what everyone has to offer to the group. Please enjoy your visit!

I sighed with relief as I finished typing the last of the introductory post, finally submitting it and beginning to make my dream a reality.

"LUTHERINE!" I cringed as mother yelled for me. "Can you get me a drink?!"

Oh yeah, did I mention? Mother has a habit of sitting around all the time, instead of being the stay at home wife she had decided to be when I was first born. Sighing, I left my fortress of solitude to complete my task. Quietly walking down the stairs, I went to the kitchen, grabbed the biggest cup I could. Pouring in two cans of Glacier Dew soda, I firmly covered the cup with the lid, even so much as putting a straw into the top.

Sighing, I walked into the living room. There she was, sitting in her recliner, Mirrors 8 laptop on her lap. She barely could fit into the chair with just how massive she had gotten over the years, and while it pained me to help her essentially kill herself with the bubbling, sugary liquid in my right hand, I feared what would happen if I didn't. In the corner, the flat-screen television blared the sound of the local news station.

Handing the woman I called Mom the cup, I glanced at the Television for just a moment, as she shook her head.

"GOD DAMN IT LUTHERINE!" she steamed at me. "I asked for Orangekist soda! Not Glacier Dew!"

"I'm sorry." I mused back at her. "I'll get it right next time."

"Damn straight you will." she barked, tossing the cup at me. "FILL IT AGAIN!"

Drenched, I sighed as I stumbled back into the kitchen, now I'd have to clean THAT up too. Rinsing the cup off from the sticky residue of the already evaporating soda, I filled it with two cans of Orangekist soda. Replacing the lid and the straw, I walked back in, as she gazed at the Television.

"Oh my god." Mother said, hand across her mouth. "What if that had been you guys?! Who'd feed and take care of me?"

"Maybe yourself." I grumbled quietly. "What happened?"

"Police from the scene have discovered two victims, eighteen year old Lara Decleur and sixty year old Donald Hickey, slain atop the falls at Mystic Falls Camping Resort. Police claim that both victims were strangled, while the weapon hasn't been necessarily been identified, they have reason to believe it was perhaps a belt, or some kind of thick, last minute object. If you have any information leading to this peculiar case, please call-"

"Isn't that that nice girl you wanted to take to prom?" Mother asked me suddenly, as I found myself breaking my trance.

"Yeah." I replied with a frown. "She didn't deserve that, even if she did reject me."

"I'm just glad it wasn't you or your father, may God continually watch over them and their families." she closed her eyes and bowed her head. "Take your pills and go to your room for a bit, I'll need you to cook my dinner soon."

I sighed once more, before climbing back up the stairs. Standing in front of my computer, I glanced at the one and only reply I had on the page I had set up.

Dude, I can't wait for this thing to come up and running. I remember you from High School man! How's the crazy parent's doing? Don't answer that if you're uncomfortable. Anyways man, it's Clancey! Y'know, you're old buddy from drama class? Talk soon, can't wait for this chat room to be up.

I sat back, I couldn't believe it! Clancey, my closest friend since Elementary school, who left abruptly when I was in tenth grade, has returned! Elated, I promptly went into typing a response for him.
    Manny
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

Post  Manny October 22nd 2013, 1:07 am

I smiled at pretty much every replacement for a real world brand.

Anyways, something I have noticed that is that you tend to write better, in terms of character development, when your stories are set in the modern day.

I noticed that with Bryce's story, Unplugged, and this. Now it may just be that you've gotten better with time... but it's just something I've noticed NOW with all these modern age stories.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 10th 2024, 3:20 pm