Welcome to the Halo Database! A creative community where all fandoms are celebrated and shared! Sit back, relax, and let the creative juices flow!

Latest topics

» Sentinel; Invasion
by Shad0wChas3r Yesterday at 6:19 pm

» Discuss Anything
by Manny September 12th 2017, 9:22 pm

» Writer's Roundtable
by Bad John September 12th 2017, 12:26 pm

» Global Defense Alliance Kaiju Dossier
by Impanther September 3rd 2017, 5:35 pm

» Origins: Reclamation
by Shad0wChas3r August 30th 2017, 2:05 am

» Final battle: Eyes of Noivern: Short story
by Impanther August 20th 2017, 6:21 pm

» New project trailer
by Impanther July 12th 2017, 7:32 pm

» Godzilla: Gods and Demons
by Impanther July 12th 2017, 6:14 pm

» TWFF Btyes.
by Bad John June 20th 2017, 11:13 pm

September 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 29 on October 1st 2013, 12:09 am

Sentinel; Invasion

Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Sentinel; Invasion

Post  Shad0wChas3r on September 1st 2017, 11:15 pm

You may be sitting there asking yourself; 'Didn't Morgan already type something for Destiny 2?' To that end, the answer is simply; 'Yes, yes I did.' However, considering the full game for Destiny 2 is a mere four days away at the time of this posting, I wanted to retcon the initial start. Instead of shoving Demeter into the limelight like the initial teaser, I want you all to get to know her as a character.

These next few installments are for the introduction of Demeter, who she is and what drives her. Without further delay, please enjoy the first arc of Sentinel; Lost to Light.

The hall of the Vanguard was a place of legends. Everyone within the city, and even far beyond her reach knew of the place. It was where Guardians of all walks of life, be they famous or infamous, had at one point walked the length of the table. Once representing the heads at the table, who were titled, obviously, after the hall itself.

Demeter was awestruck to be allowed for the first time in her life. She was no Guardian, and she had not felt the blessing of the Light. However, she knew she wanted to do her part in the constant protection of the City. Lady Amethyst, a lovely Titan of the recently disbanded Fireteam Stratus, had opted to taking the young, twenty year old, under her expert wing.

Training had been difficult, running the streets of the City twice a day. She was trained to lift weights that someone of her previous stature should not have been capable of. Amethyst had taught her endurance, through shooting her with rubber bullets, or having her go without food or drink for days at a time and still maintain some energy. When they weren't running the streets, or practicing endurance, Amethyst was always treated to a part-time job as a weapon tester for the Gunsmith, Banshee-44 of the Tower.

Today was a rare exception, as Amethyst had intended to take Demeter to the Tower and give her a taste of actual combat. In her years, Demeter had only been to the Tower Hanger, and occasionally to the Speaker's study on tours sanctioned by the recently deceased owner of her former orphanage. Despite the hall's reputation, today it seemed almost barren, with only a singular Exo in a cape standing at the middle of the table.

"Lady Amethyst, if you're looking for six foot and blue, he's not here right now." Cayde-6, the Hunter Vanguard notorious for his actions in the Taken War, grinned at their approach. "I can't promise much of anything, but I think you'll find I'm a suitable replacement."

"True as that may be, Cayde," Amethyst smirked, her eye turning to Demeter at the corner. "She's training to one day be a Titan, if the Traveler will ever bless her. So unless you're willing to trade in that rusty old solar powered hand cannon for a Hammer of Sol, we need an assignment for her befitting of a Titan."

"Thanks to the efforts of all Guardian fire teams in the Plaguelands and beyond, the 'Age of Triumph' has left the majority of us bored." Cayde shook his head. "To prove my point, I'd be up for Eris' crazed mutterings as a change of pace. She left the Tower some time ago, in search of something. Probably Hive related, or she's giving that old rock of her's a good cleaning."

Demeter, who had been taught to speak when spoken to, remained silent as she took in her surroundings. The sun was shining brightly just outside of the over watch window and the valley far beyond the City, even the Twilight Gap had seen a momentary cease fire, which was rare with the occasional raiding Fallen that she had heard about happening almost weekly.

Amethyst noticed her slight stirring, giving her a disappointed look. Not in Demeter's behavior, but rather that she knew Demeter was eager to finally learn some life combat.

"Thank you anyways." Amethyst sighed, turning to Demeter. "Guess we'll train you why Fusion Rifles are worthless outside of the Crucible. Patch'll likely have a list of reasons why, and I'll go over each of them for you."

"Well actually, speaking of the Crucible. Perhaps you and her could participate in a friendly spar?"

"I want live fire, I don't want her killed." Amethyst sighed. "A Fallen scouting party in the Cosmodrome or at Twilight Gap."

"Well come to think of it, Shaxx has been pretty sour today- er, more than usual that is. Perhaps he might have something for you to do?"

Amethyst pondered the idea for a moment, before nudging her apprentice on the shoulder. With a noble bow, Demeter followed Amethyst back out into the Crucible lounge. Guardians of all shapes gathered in groups of six, jumping at a lone robot behind the counter.

"Error, registry not found. I'm sorry, Guardians, but circumstance have limited the battlegrounds for you to participate in safely, without enemy interference." Arcite 99-40, the Crucible Quartermaster, sighed in a monotone, robotic voice. "There are plenty of minions of the Darkness to still kill out there, surely you'd find more substance killing them instead of your peers?"

"Can it, tin can!" one Hunter snarled, his fist slamming the counter. "I want my six vs. six competitive matches against my fellow Guardians to be FLAWLESS! Leave it to the weak to deal with the Darkness, I'm content shooting my friends in the face for sport!"

Amethyst and Demeter attempted to squeeze their way through the uproarious crowd of irritated Guardians. The majority of them she had never seen outside of the Tower on mandatory Patrol, except to perhaps sit wherever their Ghost dropped them off, staring blankly at the world crumbling around them. Shaking her head, Amethyst shoved a Hunter out of the way, as Lord Shaxx proudly placed his fists on his hips.

"Ah, Lady Amethyst. What is it that we can do for you today?"

"Cayde is under the impression you may have an issue for us to handle?" Amethyst gestured towards Demeter. "She's not a Guardian, but she's not content with her training without being forged in fire."

"Ah, a Titan's heart beats in her chest. Forging in fire is the specialty of the Crucible and that... Iron Banner my old companion gases up." Shaxx grunted with annoyance. "I do have some work for you both, as long as your apprentice understands the risks?"

"Yes sir." Demeter nodded her head, even though he seemed friendly enough, Lord Shaxx had a reputation of being intimidating, especially to young children, as she had witnessed first hand during the Dawning.

"I can't spare you the details at the moment." Shaxx crossed his arms boldly across his chest. "I have far too many Guardians here giving Arcite and I a headache."

"Isn't that the reason you hired us on, sir?" Demeter asked, as Shaxx belted out laughter strong enough to silence the crowd of befuddled Guardians.

"Indeed, it's a vicious circle. These Guardians are upset for two reasons, first, the majority of our arenas are over-run with minions of the Darkness. I am currently low on Red Jacks to handle the situation."

"And the second?" Amethyst asked, crossing her arms across her armor.

"I've decided that six vs six combat has become too chaotic, even for the Crucible, so effective next week when I hope the arenas will be properly cleared out, all Crucible matches will be four vs four, high intensity matches of skill and wit." Shaxx gestured to the crowd of Guardians angrily spouting about their distaste for the change in the corner. "It seems no matter what changes I make to the Crucible, no-one can be happy. Not that I honestly care, they are here to train for combat out there."

"I'll have Arcite send you the details." Shaxx continued, with a gesture towards Demeter. "I will lend you one of my spare Crucible ships, so you can properly learn how to be a pilot. Also, talk with Rahool. He has some weapon prototypes that I've had my eye on. You may use them for this task and, who knows, if your work impresses me, I may even allow you to keep them."

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"Ah hello, Lady Amethyst. I trust things have been well?" Master Rahool, the notorious Cryptarch, smiled warmly as they approached.

"About as well as life could be right now, I guess." Amethyst shrugged, her mechanical arm twitching as if on cue. "No matter how much Amanda or I tweak the damn thing, it just twitches when it wants to."

Demeter and her friends in the City had often rumored about how the Iron Lady had lost her arm. Some said that she lost it in the lava fields of the Plaguelands. Some say she ripped it off to beat a Hive Knight, just to prove a point. The rest are convinced she lost it when Drake Stratus, the Legendary Titan and slayer of Crota; Son of Oryx, and his father Oryx; the Taken King, perished.

"If I know that young Ms. Holliday as well as I like to think I do," Master Rahool nodded sagely. "She'll get it working in pristine condition in no time, it's all just trial and error."

"Oh, you mean like decrypting Purple Engrams into rare tier weapons or lower?" Amethyst placed her remaining arm on her hip.

"Gah! You know full well that those were all flukes because Master Ives stole my ledger!" Master Rahool, flustered, shook his head.

"-and by that, you mean Cayde-6 caught on to your misdeeds and 'met you in a back alley'?" Amethyst snickered.

"Is there a particular reason you're here, or are you here to torment me?" Rahool sighed with annoyance. "I've been nothing but respectful thus far, is it too much to ask for some in return?"

"I'm only picking on you, Master Rahool." Amethyst smiled. "With Lance nor Chelsea around to bust your chin about it, I had to take up the mantle."

"A mantle that deserves to be dismantled." Rahool shook his head, resting his right elbow in his left hand, and his head in his propped up right hand.

"Sorry for my intrusion," Demeter spoke up. "Lord Shaxx informed us that you may have some experimental weapons for usage?"

"Ah, yes. A one of a kind we have here. All foundries have located schematics to compact machine guns that are lightweight and have exceptional stability and rate of fire. Sub machine guns." Rahool turned to behind his counter, producing a small compact light blue weapon, and a large, imposing red and white long weapon.

"What's this one?" Demeter asked, somewhat knowledgeable of most weapon archtypes, the latter was definitely not a sub machine gun.

"That one is unique indeed. She is called 'Sweet Business', and is the one of a kind I mentioned earlier." Rahool smiled proudly. "She is defined as an Auto Rifle, but she's more like a chain-gun. If you want to put some holes into your targets and the scenery behind them, this is your weapon."

There was a moment of silence between the three of them, as Demeter eyed the 'Sweet Business' weapon. While it wasn't a food substance, the newness and sheen of the weapon made her mouth drool as if it was. Reaching out for it, she frowned as Amethyst snatched it up, before turning to her.

"I can see your hunger for this weapon, but it's of exotic quality. Like many other exotic tier weapons, there can either be one of them, as Rahool said, or countless of them, even mock copies. Even so, you are too inexperienced to even consider handling this." Amethyst said. "Complete your training with me, and I'll gladly give it to you. For now, take the sub machine gun, and I'll loan you my brother's scout rifle."

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"Well I'll be darned, I never thought I'd see you again." Amanda Holliday lifted herself from her usual seat on a crate of parts to formally great the two on their approach. "Howdy!"

"It's been a long time, Amanda." Amethyst smiled. "We're here on orders from Lord Shaxx. He said you could loan my apprentice, Demeter, here one of his Crucible themed ships?"

"Sure thing. I'm indebted to your family anyways, so I'll make sure to ensure it in case of damages." Amanda smiled, before her eyes widened and she turned to Demeter. "Oh, I'm sorry. I meant no offense by-"

Demeter merely smiled, she knew Amanda meant no harm. In truth, it was the safest option. Demeter had been trained to be a pilot by Mr. Nathan Stratus, well before Ms. Holliday took over for him five years prior. Even so, anything could be possible, and she didn't feel like owing the intimidating Lord Shaxx a blood debt on the off chance something went wrong during the mission.

"This is tricky as neither of you have Ghosts." Arcite sighed. "Lord Shaxx informed me you intend to help our Red-Jacks reclaim our battle grounds for the Crucible. If you're willing to help rid me of these annoying murder intending 'Guardians', than I'm willing to help you out."

"During our last transmission with the latest wave of Red-Jacks, they warned of a Fallen raiding party at Exodus Blue. With the Fallen packing up and leaving shop throughout the Cosmodrome, it's not entirely hard to think that their exiles are still around scavenging. If you could help clear that sector out and reactivate any operable Red-Jacks you see, it'd be a great service to us, and we can handle it from there."

\\'Boyo\\'

Thanks for Reading!

Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Re: Sentinel; Invasion

Post  Shad0wChas3r on September 2nd 2017, 11:36 pm

"So this is an actual Crucible arena?" Demeter mused as the two patrolled the open field of debris.

Much of the structures, which were old Russian aeronautics centers, were overgrown with flora. The massive remains of a Golden Age recolonization ship were balanced dangerously above the central building. Exodus Blue, from what Demeter had read, was one of the only known Exodus ships Humanity had managed to locate since the collapse.

"Yep. I once had a two vs. two friendly spar against Lillian and Jeremy here. Drake was so upset at Jeremy that day." Amethyst paused as her head turned to a overgrown fuselage to their right. "Drake was so irritated he stationed himself in there with his once favorite shotgun. I ran past him as bait for Jeremy, and Drake plugged him."

At the mention of Drake Stratus, Demeter couldn't help but feel humbled. She had come to know Amethyst as not only her mentor, but a close friend. When she was younger, she had heard stories of Drake's bravery and constant fights before the Collapse from Nathan Stratus, Drake's only son. She had heard of his close encounter with the Hive Demi-God Crota on Luna, when the Hive first invaded pre-Collapse. How Jeremy Cloud and Lillian Evergreen had given their once though only life for the cause.

"What did he do to deserve Lord Stratus' anger?" Demeter asked, as Amethyst paused.

"The two had an argument on which Void discipline between Hunters, Titans, or Warlocks was stronger." Amethyst snickered. "While Drake was a master of all three known Titan disciplines, he favored the Defender Titans, as their codex closely resembled his mindset."

Demeter knew that for Drake Stratus, and to some degree his legacy and apprentice; Lance, were capable of a variation of Sunbreaker Titans known as the Warpath Titans. She had always assumed that, from what stories and rumors she had heard about his past legends, that he favored Solar Light to Void. The more she pondered it, the more confusing the concept became.

Nightstalker Hunters were plenty powerful for their cunning, and ability to lay traps with their Smoke grenades and Voidwall grenades. Their ultimate ability, the Shadow-Shot bow, was especially designed to nullify the Light of corrupted Guardians following the tragedy that was Dredgen Yor's murder spree. It could shut down the Light long enough for the victim to be killed. On the contrary, however, the Voidwalker Warlocks could launch and bend the Void to their whim, making powerful bombs.

The thought stopped Demeter in her tracks, as she found herself inside the very fuselage that Amethyst had pointed out to her. Sitting upon a long since emptied 'special' ammo crate, Amethyst took one last scan of the area before joining her apprentice.

"It has you that stumped, does it?" Amethyst snickered. "Tell me your thoughts. Let's see what you know."

"Well, Hunter's Shadow-Shot bow can nullify all Light, or in the case of enemies, suppress them. It's a powerful ability, but can only be used once every so often to an undisciplined Hunter. The Warlock's Nova Bomb is especially deadly, as they manipulate the Void to serve their explosive purposes. Very few have seen a Nova Bomb slung at them and lived to tell about it in that resurrection." Demeter leaned forward, resting her chin on her fist, which rested on her knee. "Defender Titans don't have any offensive capabilities with their Ward of Dawn, besides infusing their team-mate's weapons with bolstered Light to increase their overall damage. Alternatively, the Ward of Dawn could be used to manifest Light around their allies and provide a commendable shield."

"True, but here was the thought of contention between Jeremy and Drake." Amethyst stood, rolling her neck. "Imagine a Gunslinger Hunter has summoned their Golden Gun. They're running rampant in the Crucible, and round the corner to meet a Defender Titan. Now, assuming this Hunter is unaware that their Golden Gun can overload the Ward of Dawn, how best could the Defender Titan put the odds in his/her favor?"

Demeter closed her eyes to visualize all of the abilities that were within the Defender's kit. They had Magnetic grenades, and their punches could drain energy from their target to give them a shield of Light. They also had Spike grenades that weren't really useful in the slightest except zone control. With a snap of her fingers, she turned to Amethyst with a smile.

"Suppression grenade at the Hunter's feet, suppresses their Light and allows him to advance on the Hunter without fear of instant death by Golden Gun." Demeter nodded, as Amethyst proudly smirked from ear to ear.

"Exactly, and what does that tell you about their argument?" Amethyst crossed her arms.

"While the Hunter's Shadow-Shot can suppress numerous targets, they only get the usage of the bow once every so often. However, a Defender Titan's Suppression grenade drains less Light from the user and can be used to a much similar and frequent effect." Demeter stood as she came to the realization. "Any good Defender Titan would learn when a Warlock has access to Nova Bomb, because they'd become cocky and less reserved."

"Therefore, the Titan could preemptively throw the Suppression grenade before the Warlock sets off his or her Nova Bomb, leave them defenseless, and kill them before they know what hit them."

Amethyst walked over, and proudly placed a hand on Demeter's shoulder. With a silent gesture of her head, their short break was over, and it was time again to continue their search for the Red-Jacks. Despite what Arcite-99-40 had told them, the place was devoid of any Fallen scouting parties, and even the Red-Jacks were missing.

"So how exactly did that argument manage to irritate Lord Stratus, if you don't mind me asking?" Demeter broke the monotony of their search.

"It annoyed Drake because Jeremy kept disregarding Drake's argument pertaining to Suppression grenades. Jeremy even went so far as to imply that Drake was jealous that the Titan Void discipline was 'so weak in comparison to the others' which, as you just admitted, just isn't the case." Amethyst sighed. "The two were like brothers, constantly bickering at each other in a mad attempt to get the other's fuse lit."

"When Jeremy and Lillian disappeared on Luna, the look on Drake's face was one that I prayed to the Traveler that I'd never see again."

Demeter dipped her head, how awful it must have felt to witness your friend dying permanently, especially after learning that the Light would rebirth them one day. Her parents had been Guardians, but had handed her off to Nathan Stratus' orphanage when she was six. In fourteen years, there had been no sign of any of them, and she had little hope they were ever coming back.

The mere thought of her parents set her over the edge, as she desperately fought back the tears. Amethyst noticed this and gave her shoulder a reassuring pat. Their touching moment was brought to a close, however, as a nearby shuffling in the building to their North, overlooking a ratty catwalk, caught their attention. The two pulled their helmets off of their waists from their fastens, and fixed them to their head.

Demeter hunkered down behind a rusty old Russian tank, as Amethyst crept closer to the building. Despite not having her Ghost and therefore taking a significant risk with her life, Amethyst maintained the same bravery Demeter had always heard of in her younger years. From her position, Demeter used her rifle training to gaze down the scope of the weapon.

What she saw shocked her to the core. They were Fallen, based off of the books she had read during her training. These Fallen, however, were not your average run of the mill Dregs, Vandals, or even the lone Captain guiding them. Their armor was snow white, with onyx black machine parts hastily thrown onto themselves. Red tubing connected their legs and arms with their torsos, whatever was pumping through them was definitely not natural.

"SIVA." Amethyst growled, her grip on the Sweet Business auto rifle tightened.

Everyone in the City knew of the tragedy that had taken place nearly a year before. How the advanced Golden Age technology, known as SIVA had once threatened the Plaguelands and beyond. It was the story of how Drake Stratus, who had accomplished so much in his resurrection, finally met his end. How the Iron Lords, fabled protectors of the City's outer perimeters and those to push back the Darkness, came back from their long vigil.

The portion of the story that struck Demeter most, however, was not only Drake Stratus' death, which wracked the City with grief. No, it was the story of how Amethyst Stratus provided the most potent Ward of Dawn in known Titan history, so potent it cost her one of her arms, and her Ghost. How her Ward of Dawn managed to give Lord Lance Stratus the overflow of Light he needed to take down the Devil Splicer's machine God, Aksis; Archon Prime.

Demeter held her position as Amethyst stood from her place of cover, opening fire with the new world's first rendition of a chain gun. The cylindrical barrel of the weapon span violently, raining a hail of highly impactful, armor piercing rounds on the group of three Dregs, four Vandals, and their lone Captain. Even with their SIVA infused augmentations, the Dregs couldn't withstand the firepower. With a sound similar to a hammer on an anvil, Amethyst's form covered in vibrant Solar flames.

The Hammer of Sol she produced flew through the air at the crowd of Devil Splicers, catching the last Vandal square in the face. The fiery hammer exploded on impact, causing the Splicer Captain to recoil in disgust and pain. As Amethyst advanced with her Hammer of Sol in hand, Demeter took to firing pot shots at the Captain's exposed head. Behind her, Demeter heard a crunching noise. Turning on her boots, she prepared to open fire on her flanker, until she found herself staring up at the Splicer Baron's face.

She had no problems shooting the other Fallen from a distance, but here, in close quarters, she felt all of her training escape her. The inner most fears she had experienced from horror stories involving normal Fallen began to creep up on her. With an alien snicker, the Splicer Baron's bottom right arm's hand balled up into a fist, before striking her heavily on the side of her helmet. With a pained yelp, Demeter tumbled along the ground, Drake Stratus' legendary Scout Rifle; Colovance's Duty, tumbled way out of her reach and down the cliff side into the abyss below.

"Dem!" Amethyst yelled after her, as Demeter shakily attempted to stand.

While the blow was far from fatal, it was enough to rattle her skeleton, and cause her to be very weak. As she stood to full height, her vision settled on the Baron, which now stood over her in mockery. Leaning it's face down to her level, it's multiple eyes glared deep into her helmet, as it's alien snicker echoed through her helmet. Her heart beat increased considerably, as she heard her pulse in her ears.

The Baron's attention turned from Demeter for a second, as Demeter felt an uncomfortable thickness in the air. Even through her plasteel armor, she could feel her hairs standing on end. The monster's head turned just in time for an electricity covered fist to strike the Baron square in the face. The force of the blow sent off a shockwave of energy that forced Demeter to stumble backwards in a fruitless attempt to gather herself.

The Baron, surviving the powerful Fist of Havoc, skidded backwards from the intensity of the blow. Recovering itself, the Baron thrust itself at Amethyst. It's two massive right arms swung down on Amethyst's position, as her mechanical right arm caught the blow, leaving the Baron at a stand still. Swiftly, Amethyst's left fist struck a low blow on the Baron's chiton covered midsection, cracking the hard enamel like armor.

Another shockwave of energy pulsed from behind the Baron, it's legs knocking together as a result. All the dust in the catwalk behind the Baron billowed in the shockwave, and shook the metal walkway, which had already been holding on by hope alone, to it's core. With a flurry of punches and kicks that were much too fast for Demeter to follow with her untrained eye, Amethyst struck the Baron with an unforgiving barrage of attacks.

Though Amethyst was no longer buffed by the Arc Light of a Striker Titan, her blows held about as much weight and ferocity a Master Titan was credited for. The Baron, while only slightly stronger than a normal Spliced Captain, was not as durable as Demeter had once feared. Collapsing to it's knees, Amethyst roared as her whole body span on her left boot, whipping her right foot nastily across the Baron's neck. The force of the blow cracked the Baron's neck chiton, and snapped it's neck in the process, sending it's corpse careening into the central control room.

Demeter collapsed to her knees as Amethyst regained her composure, walking over. Demeter trembled, as she had lost the last remaining relic Amethyst had of her brother. Placing both of her hands in the soil beneath her, Demeter fought the urge to cry, as she winced at Amethyst's crouch beside her.

"I... I lost it." Demeter shook her head. "I'm so sorry. I've failed you as an apprentice."

"It was your first live fire training." Amethyst said reassuringly. "I was expecting normal Fallen, not SIVA augmented ones. When I was in your shoes, a common Dreg once had me spooked."

"No, you don't understand." Demeter shook her head, as the tears flowed. "I lost Colovance's Duty, Drake Stratus' Scout Rifle."

"I know my brother." Amethyst's hand rested on Demeter's lower back in a soothing, rubbing motion. "If he was here today, he would have tossed that Scout Rifle in a heart beat to save a life. The gun was nothing more than a token of his spirit. I have my memories to remember him by."

"We'll just have to work on your fight or flight instincts." Amethyst helped Demeter to her feet, brushing some turf off of Demeter's shoulder. "For now, we now know why the Red-Jacks are missing. Those Splicers likely took them to test what SIVA they still have on them. We need to inform Arcite-99-40 and Lord Shaxx."

Amethyst took a few steps forward and pressed her hand to her helmet to activate the remote communications function. Without a Ghost to transmit her voice to the Tower, she knew she would have to route it through the long way. Her heart stuttered as she heard only static.

"Tower control, this is Lady Amethyst of the Iron Lords. On patrol on behalf of the Crucible clean-up crew, respond?" Amethyst asked, turning to Demeter.

Demeter's communications crackled to life, repeating everything Amethyst said, in real time, in her ears. The two glanced at each other, as a male voice that Demeter had never heard before came through the channel.

"That fleet was huge, and it's headed for the Tower." Demeter heard the man growl angrily. "I leave for a year and this is what happens? Honestly, I swear the Crucible is all Guardians care-"

Amethyst tried to respond to the voice on the other side, but it seemed to no avail. The two could receive incoming transmissions, but outgoing ones were useless. Demeter took a nervous step forward, as Amethyst pulled her helmet off, a look of shock covering her face.

"Who was that just now?" Demeter asked, as Amethyst turned to her.

"Lance." she shook her head. "If he's breaking exile, something big's happening. We need to get back to the City!"

\\'Boyo\\'

Thanks for Reading!

Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r on September 14th 2017, 3:38 pm

"Where is your ship?" Demeter stared in confusion at their landing zone.

With no Ghost to remotely land their ships, the two had resorted to parking their ships in a fairly open clearing, just to the north of Exodus Blue's crash site. To their shock, however, only Demeter's borrow Crucible ship remained. With a hurried shrug, Amethyst clambered into the cockpit's co-pilot seat, just behind the pilot's chair.

Demeter climbed up and into her seat, as the glass chamber closed down on top of them. Flipping several switches and buttons to initialize takeoff, Demeter thrust the accelerator to moderate flight speed. Everything Nathan had once taught her about emergency take offs was put into effect as the ship rocketed over the tree-line, back in the direction of the City.

With the trip only being a few minutes, Amethyst spoke up behind Demeter. She growled in frustration as only mere crackles echoed through their communications. "Every channel is dark, even the damn emergency channels."

"What do you think is happening back there?" Demeter asked, her eyes focused on the airspace ahead of her.

"If it's enough to have Lance and his fireteam break exile, whatever's going on is pretty serious." Amethyst shook her head, as Demeter heard her mentor's mechanical fingers fidgeting on her kneepad. "Do you recall that I once told you you're too fast when you fly?"

"Yes ma'am, sorry ma'am." Demeter said as she began to slow the accelerator.

"No no, you're misinterpreting my words." Amethyst said, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Forget everything I ever said, top speed, now."

With a smirk on her face, Demeter gladly removed the restrictions Amethyst had once put on her piloting and allowed the ship to slip into near light travel. With a flash, the ship erupted through the clouds surrounding the City that had served as a veil for as long as Demeter had known. The vision they saw, however, was enough to wipe the smirk right off.

Fire and smoke rose from the Tower, the Vanguard hall in smoldering ruin from what appeared to be several explosive impacts. Ash and embers billowed in the wind as the City itself was alight. Several alien ships of enormous size were in constant class with the City's aerial defenses. Demeter used her piloting knowledge to avoid combat, as she turned to land in the hanger. She yelped, however, as a stray explosive round from one of the alien ships clipped one of her wings.

Gritting her teeth in a struggle to maintain her control over the vessel, Demeter's eyes widened in surprise as Amethyst effortlessly lifted her out of the chair under her armpits, using her Lift thrusters to eject the two of them out before they crashed. The ship crashed into a heap with the remaining rubble, erupting into a crimson fireball.

"Head to the atrium! Zavala's been escorting civilians, but the Speaker's not been boarded yet!" a woman's voice called over their comms.

"Lillian, where are you?"

"Amethyst?! What are you doing here?"

Amethyst nudged Demeter on the shoulder, before gesturing up the empty hanger and towards the Atrium. As they jogged, however, Amethyst continued her conversation.

"Protecting my home, what's else is new?" Amethyst spoke directly, with little of her usual self showing, the tone change alone was enough to chill Demeter to the bone. "I go for a quick jog in the woods with my apprentice and everything goes to shit."

"Lance here. We caught visuals of a massive Cabal fleet entering the system, we tried warning the Tower and the Vanguard, but communications have been down for some time." a man's voice echoed in Demeter's helmet. "If you can, link with us at the Atrium.
    Zavala's not my favorite person, but we have to help him protect the civilians.
    "

"We're just headed past the Cryptarch tent now." Amethyst replied, as Demeter's gaze turned towards the partially destroyed kiosk of Master Rahool.

It was jarring to think that just a short few hours before, the two of them had been here joking with the Cryptarch without a care in the world. Now fire was rising from all corners, and Rahool was no-where to be seen.

"Ah, you two." Lord Shaxx, who had been standing over a now completely destroyed Red-Jack, turned to face them. "I'm glad to see you are both alright. As you can see, things have escalated explosively around here."

"Is everyone alright?" Amethyst asked, as Shaxx solemnly shook his iconic helmet.

"There have been substantial casualties from non-Guardians in and around the City. I and my Red-Jacks have done all we can for the civilians here on the Tower." Shaxx turned to Demeter. "This is no training exercise, young one. If the Cabal want war, give them war."

Shaxx nodded curtly, before he and his remaining Red-Jacks ran back the way Demeter and Amethyst had come from. For whatever purpose that was, it meant little to Demeter, she only hoped he would be okay. Commander Zavala, the Titan Vanguard, growled as a trio of Guardians approached him from behind.

Amethyst tapped Demeter on the shoulder, leading her over to the Awoken Titan and his new companions. Zavala angrily stepped up to the Titan in front of the trio, prodding his finger into his chest.

"You have some nerve showing up here, exile."

"That's the 'thank you' I was expecting, blue ball." the Titan, whom Demeter could identify with his iconic Iron Lord armor as Lance Stratus, scoffed. "This is what complacency gets you. A burning Tower and Cabal running amuck."

"I should shoot you down, right now for violating City law."

"I'd like to see you try, Papa Smurf." Lance growled, as the Huntress behind him pushed on his chest.

"Is now really the time?" she asked, as her attention turned to Demeter and Amethyst. "The gang's all here now, except the new kid. Introductions can wait, look at the Traveler!"

The group's attention turned to a giant six pronged device floating ominously close to the giant white orb in the sky. As someone who lived directly under it for her entire life, Demeter felt a pang in her heart. The Traveler was something alive, dormant, but it was alive all the same. Whatever they planned on doing to it, she had to stop them. Even without the Light on her side.

"The Red Legion... what are they doing to the Traveler?!" Zavala growled, turning to those around him. "They are well trained, but we are all better. We must hold this position until all civilians are safely transported away. Then we'll discuss what to do with you."

Looming closely to the strange device in the sky was a massive command ship unlike anything Demeter had ever seen. Vibrant discharge flashes erupted from the side, as a salvo of missile raced towards their position. Zavala noticed this and stepped forward, thrusting both of his arms out to his side. The purple void energy of a Ward of Dawn surrounded the lot of them, just in time for the missiles to strike harmlessly against it.

Still, Demeter could feel the vibrations of the remote explosions rattle her teeth. Following the missiles were a trio of massive spheres, which deconstructed themselves to reveal about twelve or so portly looking aliens in red armor. Lance turned to Demeter, as if he could sense her fear, and placed a reassuring hand on her borrowed helmet.

"Don't worry kid, the Guardians'll win the day."

Sprinting out of the bubble after the explosives subsided, Lance's entire form erupted with Arc energy, waves of the energy traveled between his extremities and filled the air around him with sparks. Using his Lift thrusters, Lance launched himself into the air, before striking both of his fists into the ground at the Cabal soldier's feet. The pent up Arc energy he utilized erupted outwards in a glorious circular wave of energy around him, fizzling the Cabal out of existence.

As he turned to gloat about his impressive kill, Demeter noticed another Cabal approaching him from behind with a sword. Gritting her teeth, she grasped the Sweet Business from Amethyst's hands and bolted out of the shield. Taking a knee, she whirred up the barrel and unleashed a short burst of ammunition, more than enough to pop the Cabal's helmet off with a splash of biofuel and blood.

"Hmm." Lance nodded his head with respect. "Good shot. Sure you're not supposed to be a Hunter?"

"I must hold position here." Zavala interrupted, stepping forward. "That Command ship is priority number one for anyone that's willing to go."

"We're on it." Lance nodded towards the other two in his fireteam. "Nimbus, Lillian, let's split up and take the ship on in two fronts. Amethyst, kid, I trust you can hold your own?"

"You forget we don't have the Light, Lance." Amethyst shook her head, as Demeter stepped forward.

"No, but we do have courage, right?" Demeter glanced between them. "If I'm ever going to prove my worth to the Traveler, I have to be willing to die to save people, right?"

"Being brave is one thing, suicidal is another." Amethyst shook her head. "If we go on that ship, there is a very good chance the both of us will die."

"If we don't go, the City burns, ma'am." Demeter pointed towards the strange device in the sky. "They're attacking the Traveler, and if we don't give Lord Stratus and his fireteam the extra hand, there is a very good chance the Light will be snuffed out for good and all will be lost."

There was silence among them for a moment, before Amethyst sighed, placing her metallic hand on Demeter's shoulder.

"You're right, Dem. Ever since I lost Drake and my arm, I've been afraid of death, when before it was little more than an inconvenience. I forgot that being a Guardian is to embody self sacrifice." Amethyst nodded. "Even if we do die up there, we died doing our part, and at the end of the day, that's what being a Guardian is all about. Only problem is, we don't have a ride."

"That won't be an issue, head to the merchant's district." Zavala commanded. "Amanda Holliday will give you both a lift. God speed Guardians... and Lance?"

"Yes?"

"If we win this day, I'll fight for your fireteam's return to the City."

"I'll hold you to that."

"Come on... do something." Amanda Holliday muttered, as her and her two passenger's glanced at the giant white sphere.

"Hasn't been awake in centuries." Demeter frowned. "Hopefully these explosions will act enough as a wake up call."

"If only you knew..." Demeter thought she heard Amethyst mutter to herself, turning her attention to her mentor.

"What?"

"If only the Cabal knew what we're gonna do to them." Amethyst nodded, before standing up giving Demeter a quick once over. "That Titan armor suits you well. Do me proud and not clam up while we're on the ship, yeah?"

Demeter gave her a determined nod, as the two braced themselves from the sudden evasive maneuvers Amanda had to perform. When the ship finally came to a stop, the back door opened, and the two jumped out. With a splash from the rain puddle beneath their boots, Demeter's first visual was one of the giant globes filled with Cabal soldiers. Before she could study it, however, it was launched from the ship, as if the ship itself was a rail gun firing ball bearings.

Following Amethyst's lead, Demeter raised the sidearm Lance had kindly loaned her and scanned the ramp leading up and into the ship. They were immediately greeted by a trio of the Cabal Legionnaires. With a continuous stream of rounds from Amethyst's Sweet Business and Demeter's sidearm, the three went down with little issue.

"Our goal is to take out the shield generator of the ship so Tower aerial defenses can take it out." Amethyst glanced at a hologram showing the entire ship, which had been located just in the center of the room. "It's just like the ship the Cabal crashed on the Dreadnaught in design. Finding the generator shouldn't be too difficult, thanks to Lance and the others creating a diversion elsewhere on the ship."

"Still, we move fast, and we shoot to kill." Amethyst warned. "I know the way, follow me."

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

With a final round into the head of the giant Cabal Centurion, Demeter shook off the nerves that encompassed her throughout their entire path. Countless corpses of the Cabal lined their path, thanks mostly in part to Amethyst and her experience. They were now on top of the Cabal command ship, able to look out at the burning City and the Traveler, the strange device now practically hugging the giant white machine.

"It's not too much farther now." Amethyst pulled up a miniature hologram of the ship on her left wrist's datapad. "Just a few floors beneath us, that door up ahead should get us there."

"Amethyst, kid, we have to bug out. We lost communication with Zavala and the others. Take out that generator and get the hell out of here." Lance's voice statically crackled through the comm. "We've left a large mess for them to deal with, so your path should be clear. Happy hunting and stay safe."

"Why are they leaving?" Demeter turned to Amethyst, as her mentor sighed.

"If contact with the Vanguard is lost, than there is a good chance those civilians we helped protect earlier are in mortal danger. Their fire-team is going to ensure everything is alright, while we just take out the shield generator and hail Holliday for a lift." Amethyst shook her head. "It's alright, there's an exit route we can take shortly after we cripple the generator. Double time it."

The two broke into a dead sprint, past the corpses of their freshly killed Cabal enemies. Glancing down what appeared to be a giant chasm, Amethyst wrapped her arms around Demeter and jumped off, activating the Lift thrusters on her boots to slow their descent to survivable speed.

Detaching from each other, the two made their way into the giant generator chamber. A lone centrifuge winded around the room, with electrical currents of certainly lethal voltage sparked from both ends. Gears glowing blue with energy grinded up against one another just below them, easy for the picking.

One again the two latched onto each other, before jumping down into the centrifuge's track. The alcove was just underneath the centrifuge, providing them just enough room to safely walk around. First, Amethyst tried shooting the gears, to little effect. With a sigh, she took the Sweet Business, which was long and thick enough to act in the service they now needed it for.

Sticking the long barrel of the gun down into the gears, they grinded to a halt before erupting into crimson flame and smoke. Just the act alone was more than enough to cause the ship several weeks, if not months of repairs, though Demeter knew that wouldn't matter long. Above them, the centrifuge, without any source of locomotion, slowed and finally halted.

The service alarm blared, and lights flashed throughout the room. The service door that would serve as their escape route opened. Demeter, whilst the two were floating through the air to the door, kept her weapon trained on any hostiles that might show up. When nothing appeared, she felt a nasty feeling in her gut that their efforts had been too easy for a reason.

With no time to fear, however, she and Amethyst sprinted through the service tunnel and back out onto the upper deck of the ship. Rain pelted their helmets as they ran out into the open area. Amethyst and Demeter glanced at the device, which had now adhered itself to the side of the Traveler.

"What is that thing?" Demeter shook her head in disbelief. "How do we destroy it?!"

"You don't." Amethyst instinctively pulled her Hammer of Sol, as the two turned to see a pair of Centurions guarding a giant Cabal in white armor approach them."Allow me to welcome you to a world without Light."

With a wave of his hand, the Cabal's gesture brought Amethyst and Demeter's attention to the Traveler. A giant red barrier erupted from the device adhered to it's surface, running a giant energy cage around it. Amethyst grunted as she clutched at her chest, Demeter watched in horror as the Solar energy engulfing Amethyst pittered out and her hammer clattered to the ground by her feet, a blue after image of Amethyst was stripped from her body.

Amethyst stumbled a bit, clutching her stomach. The weakness she felt caused her to clatter to her hands and knees. Demeter kneeled next to her mentor, as the Cabal approached. Demeter took a moment to look up at the encroaching Cabal, as he snarled. "Do not look at me... creature!"

Demeter flinched as Amethyst, still weak, managed to get in front of the Cabal's mighty kick. The two toppled over, skidding across the open landing pad, a sickening crack emnating from Amethyst's chest.

"You are weak; undisciplined. Cowering behind your petty walls.." the Cabal growled. "You're not brave. You've merely forgotten the fear of death. Allow me to reaccquaint you."

"HRRRNG!" the Cabal growled, striking Amethyst with the back of his right fist, causing her to scatter dangerously close to the edge of the cliff. "Except for you. You are different. You came here without the blessing of the Light."

Demeter groaned as she attempted to stand, turning in time to see Amethyst, whose helmet had been knocked off from the blow, give her a knowing smile and a nod. Demeter scrambled in her direction, before her mentor cascaded down into the City below.

"Mentor!" Demeter cried out, reaching futily out for her.

"Your kind never deserved the power they were given." the Cabal growled behind her. "I am Ghaul, and your Traveler?"

"Is MINE."

Ghaul's massive boot met with Demeter's head, as he gave her a quick shove off of his ship. Demeter screamed as she cascaded into the City below her, and her mind suddenly flashed to the past, and more recently the better days she had had with Amethyst as her tutor. Wind rushed past her ears as she decided it was no use screaming any longer, and instead, closed her eyes to accept her fate.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wake up, will ya?"

Demeter groaned as she glanced around her, though there was nothing there, minus a small golden ball of light. Glancing at it, she reached out for it, before the ball of light manifested itself into the visage of a bird. With a flap of it's wings, the bird began to fly off, and as it did, a beautiful view erupted vividly from the darkness around her.

The first thing she saw was the Traveler as a whole, as if it wasn't missing it's entire bottom half. A fledgling City sprawled out beneath it, in a time before the Walls existed. The bird took a nose dive into a nearby lake, and as the bird went, so too did Demeter's visuals plunge into deep dark waters. Her heart raced as she saw people, reaching out for help, bloodied and covered with soot and dirt.

As the bird 'flew' through the water, different visions passed in front of her. A giant machine that almost resembled what her old school teachers once called 'Whale Sharks' consuming a planet flashed into her vision, with small triangles of darkness plunging into the 'ocean' just above her head. The golden light of the bird flashed vividly, as visions of an electrified spear/pole, a fiery sword, and a void shield flashed before her vision.

The bird swooped past her again, as her vision sprawled to a land on Earth unfamiliar to her. What appeared to be shards of the Traveler were piled carelessly in a forest, as the bird swooped over them in a circle.

"Find me in the Dark Forest. We'll talk then."

"Wait, who are you?!" Demeter asked, as she felt herself being dragged away. "Are you the Traveler?"

"All in due time. Do not let your emotions take control. Follow the bird."

\\'Boyo\\'

Thanks for Reading!

Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r on September 14th 2017, 6:34 pm

Demeter grit her teeth as she struggled to stand. Glancing around, she had no idea how she had survived the fall off of Ghaul's ship, but here she was, alive and in the flesh. She winced as her left arm proved entirely useless, the bone inside broken beyond normal repair. In her opinion, it was a smaller price to pay than for her life.

Thinking back on it, she began to ponder the dream she had just woken from. Was it a sign, was it real? Or was it just delusions her mind had created? Shaking the thought from her head, she tensed as she heard Cabal speak fill the air, just across from her was a patrol of several foot soldiers and a lone Centurion. Shakily standing, Demeter began to move forward, until her foot hit something.

Glancing down, her eyes widened as tears almost immediately began to shed. Collapsing to her knees, she used her right arm, which was miraculously still usable, to wrap an arm around Amethyst's still form. Her mentor's eyes were closed with a smile of content on her face, as if the Light hadn't been stripped from her, and she sent cascading to her death like some animal.

She cried quietly into Amethyst's shoulder for a time, before she heard the rumbling of what she could only assume was a Cabal tank. Releasing her mentor's form gently where she laid, Demeter stood, but not before plucking a metal rod from her mentor's clenched metal hand. Her memories of the metal rod escaped her, as if the fall had caused her to forget, but she knew it meant a great deal to Amethyst.

Amethyst's Sunbreaker mark, which she had told Demeter was her father's final gift to her, was left in tatters a few feet away. Grasping the cloth, Demeter used some nearby sticks and fixed a small memorial for Amethyst. With one final, silent goodbye, Demeter began to walk in the direction of the giant hole in the City's wall.

Demeter shuddered as she vaulted over the massive rock and landed jarringly into the next clearing. She had been walking for easily four days, stopping only to eat the emergency rations her suit was outfitted with. Her left arm had been hastily reset after she had cleared the city, and she used her own tattered Titan's mark to act as a temporary sling on the hopes that she would one day soon find a doctor.

She flinched as an ear piercing screech rang out in front of her, a massive Falcon sat perched on a sizeable boulder just in front of her. The bird sat there for a while, until she approached within a few feet of it, with another screech, it flew off, circling around her for a moment more before gliding to her North. Demeter followed it as best as she could, until she was met with a short rock-face. Carefully, she vaulted down again, the smouldering ruins of a small encampment was the first thing she saw in the valley.

Corpses of Titans, Hunters, and Warlocks were scattered all around her, causing her heart to sink with each one she saw. It reminded her of Amethyst, which was still very much a sore loss for her. One of the Titan's held a sub-machine gun in his hands. Amethyst gently walked over and relieved the Titan of his weapon. With one silent prayer for them, Amethyst began to climb into a snow covered slope ahead of her.

An alien howl filled the air as Cabal War Beasts, which were like the lizard equivalent of war hounds, numbering at least twenty, charged her position. Positioning herself, Demeter brought the sub to bear and began taking short, controllable bursts to cut down the War Beasts. As the clip emptied, she winced as she forced her left hand to move ever so slightly to place a fresh one in it's place.

With the last of them dead, she began to trudge up the snow covered landscape. Her geography teacher had once told her that the Twilight Gap was over this crest, near Felwinter Peak, and served to be one of the deadliest places near the City thanks to the battle of the Six Pillars and the battle at Twilight Gap.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Demeter was slowly losing track of how long she had been walking, though she guessed it had been roughly a week since she had left the City and began walking. Her emergency rations were all but gone, with maybe a few crumbs to tide her over. The falcon that she had been following circled over head, as she slowly trekked the icy cliffs encircling Felwinter Peak. Above her, she could just barely make out the Iron Temple, a place Amethyst spoke fondly of in one of their earlier interactions.

With a frown, Demeter continued her walk. Even if the dream was just a hoax that her mind had created, it was giving her the drive to keep going. Otherwise, she'd be better off just finding a place to sit down and freeze to death. The rock-face around her rumbled as a massive Cabal ship shot past the mountain, granules of snow and rock rumbled down beside her, as the all-too familiar visage of the Traveler, now encaged in energy could be seen in the distance.

Continuing her way up the pass, Demeter stopped as the falcon perched itself on a ledge a few feet from where she was standing. Her hunger had long settled in, and the weakness she felt as a result made her question whether or not she could make the jump. Gritting her teeth, Demeter got a running start and jumped for it, yelping as she just missed her target and fell down.

Then, she passed out.

"Would you look at that? Someone left a perfectly good Titan lying around." Demeter heard a woman's voice, though muffled, say from around her.

As she opened her eyes, her vision, while blurried, was just enough to make out a hooded woman approaching her position. Offering a hand, the hooded woman helped Demeter to her feet with a cocky smirk.

"Let's get things moving people, we're burning daylight!" she barked to the handful of people behind her, one of which was sporting Amethyst's missing ship.

"Wh-wait, where are you all going?" Demeter asked weakly, as the woman turned to her with a smile.

"You must have hit your head harder than I thought, lose your helmet?" the woman sighed. "We're getting as far away from here as we can."

Another of the falcon's screeches filled the air, as it swooped down. The woman's arm shot out and provided the bird a place to land. "Wait, that bird belongs to you?"

"This guy?" the woman turned to Demeter with a chuckle. "His name's Louis, best pilot we got. Which reminds me, you know how to fly one handed?"

"Yes ma'am." Demeter nodded, as the woman scoffed.

"Don't call me that or I'll put you back where I found you." she shook her head. "We'll see about getting you patched up when we get where we're going. For now, load up."

"What, is the Farm not good enough for you?" Hawthorne, the woman who had saved her life, shook her head in disbelief. "I know you Guardians have a skewed sense of a good time, but actively seeking death is beyond bravery, it's suicidal."

"I'm not a Guardian." Demeter shook her head. "When the City fell, I had a vision, and it's what lead me to this shard of the Traveler."

With a quick gesture, Demeter pointed past Louis' perch and towards the giant orange peel like shard of the Traveler. Blue and black clouds surrounded the corrupted hunk of white machine. With a sigh, Hawthorne turned to Louise and gave his plumage a quick rustling.

"Listen, I won't stop you. I have enough to deal with here, just understand the European Dead Zone didn't get the name from being home to sunshine and rainbows." Hawthorne frowned. "If you get in trouble out there, you're on your own. That arm of yours won't fully heal naturally for quite some time, so you're going in with even more of a challenge."

"It's one I have to take." Demeter shook her head. "I have a gut feeling about this, and I need to follow it."

"Then go. One of those Titan types from the City is over in the barn, he has your sub. I think you folks call him Lord something or other?" Hawthorne smiled. "As for your transport, take that ship you used to fly here. If it manages to help these good people out in any way, I'll accept the investment."

Demeter nodded respectfully before quickly climbing down the old wooden stairs of the run down wooden farm house. The place wasn't called the Farm for nothing, sporting two large barns and a lone farm house, it was the home for many of the City's refugees that weren't once Guardians. Demeter was even surprised to hear that a Cryptarch by the name of Tyra Karn had managed to set up shop just in front of the farm house.

As she approached the barn, she smiled as a pair of civilians walked past her. She still associated herself as a civilian, on the account she was only trained for combat but was not technically recognized as a soldier or even a Guardian. Entering the front door to the barn, which now served as a repair station for ships and a hanger to boot, she passed a few mechanics to see Lord Shaxx of all people standing there.

"Ah, the young apprentice returns. Last I saw of you, the air smelt of ozone and fire reigned down from the heavens. A grim day to say the least, and defeat comes for us all eventually, but we must learn from our losses to strengthen ourselves." Lord Shaxx nodded. "I have heard of Lady Amethyst's passing, it is a mortal shame, one that shakes even the toughest of Titan's resolve. You know that she one served as a deputy commander under Commander Zavala to train young Titans?"

"I have met each of her students over the course of their time in the Crucible, and each one has gone on to be hugely successful in whatever obstacles come their way." Shaxx continued. "While you do not possess the Light... well, I guess none of us do now, you have shown to have the most potential of all of them combined. A true protege, as the saying goes."

With a moment of silence, Shaxx hurriedly turned to the workbench behind him and produced her sub machine gun. Stabilizing jets had been installed on the weapon to hopefully help maintain her recoil, and based off of the clip, it had been hugely extended for her usage.

"A broken arm seeks out to only handicap you in whatever errands you find yourself running, young student." Shaxx said. "I have taken the liberty of erasing that handicap and giving you a slight advantage. You will learn to use the weapon as an extension of yourself, to rely on it as you would rely on your own wits. Wherever the winds of fate guide you, young one, may you spread your wings and coast on them to find your destination."

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Demeter landed just shy of the forest's edge in a small clearing. Stepping out of her new ship, she prepared her sub for any and all threats that would come between here. Thankfully, the forest, while dark and unknown to most nearby, was linear in it's path. As she walked along, the curious sight of a floating ball of black and white caught her attention.

As she approached it, it was as if the fabric of time and space had been torn asunder, and a window to a different place had been opened. Stepping through it, she gasped as the wind was taken from her, and she felt as if she was being pulled on from all angles. With a hiss and a pop, she found herself somewhere deeper in the forest, pitch blackness surrounding her in the trees, despite the open daylight she had just left.

"Ah, I was beginning to wonder if you'd show up." the familiar voice of her dream echoed through the trees around her. "I don't do cryptic, but you'll understand that there are some things you must learn for yourself."

"Who are you?" Demeter called out.

"You could say I'm a friend, although based off of what I'm going to have you do, you could say the opposite." the voice echoed with a slight chuckle. "Continue on the path ahead of you, we can talk more when you get here."

"Where is 'here' exactly?" Demeter asked, glancing around.

"You'll know when you're here. Do you remember what I told you before? Don't let your emotions guide you, just find a direction and go. Follow your gut, as they say."

Demeter sighed as the voice echoed one last time through the trees, before trudging her way through the flora of the forest bed, her boots sloshing in mud puddles and various other plants. Light, or what she thought was Light occasionally trickled out of some of the plants and water nearby, but it was unlike anything she had seen Amethyst or any other Guardian utilize before.

She questioned whether it would be safe to be here or not, or if the corrupted Light would make her sick and die, or worse, become part of the corruption. Clearing her mind of the 'what if's', Demeter continued her path, the occasional chittering of some animal or other creature occasionally resonating around her.

"You're a fast learner, good. That's just the kind of person we're looking for."

"There's a 'we' now?" Demeter asked. "You never answered my question about who you are."

"Who I am isn't what matters, getting here in a timely fashion, however, is."

Demeter continued her path, stumbling only slightly on an exposed tree root, but managed to catch herself and maintain composure. The chittering became ever more noticeable as she entered a clearing with a monolith that appeared to be made of the same material as the Traveler.

"Oh man, this is just terrible. the voice replied sarcastically. "Fallen everywhere, whatever shall we do?"

Surely enough, the creatures Demeter had once encountered near Exodus Blue began to appear from the trees around her. Some were the small Dregs, while a pair of Vandals and even a Captain or Baron patrolled around. Opening fire with her sub, Demeter targeted the Dregs first as they made up the majority of the scouting party.

After the first one fell, the Fallen troops all tensed and began to open up fire on her. Taking cover behind the monolith, Demeter occasionally poked out and took pot shots, dwindling the number of Fallen until finally, at last after a several minute firefight, the Captain or Baron collapsed.

"Color me impressed... if I was physical that is. Nice kill on that Captain." the voice replied. "-and I already know what you're going to ask; who are you strange and mysterious voice? Fact of the matter is, you don't need to worry about who I am. You were brought here for a reason."

"Can you at least tell me if I'm in the right spot?"

"Last I heard, your name was Demeter Willingham. the voice snickered. "Alright, alright. I've had my fun. Yes, you're in the right place. All you have to do now is come to the shard."

"This shard?" Demeter asked, pointing to the monolith she had used for cover.

"I don't see any others, do you?" the voice asked, though this time the voice originated from the monolith itself. "Come over here."

Demeter slowly crept up to the front of the monolith, as she glanced at it's otherwise flawless surface. Suddenly, what appeared to be a fractal of Light appeared at the center of the monolith, which glowed a vibrant gold.

"You've never been with the Light, have you?" the voice asked, the crack flickering to match the words it was saying, Demeter silently shook her head, as the voice gave off a feeling of a smirk. "Hold on to your helmet, kid. First time's a real sucker punch."

Demeter had little time to process the words before a giant beam of the golden Light erupted from the monolith and enveloped her entire body. The force of the Light was so strong and potent that it was more than enough to lift her and her armor completely off the ground with no effort. Her body began to feel new, fresh, as if she had never suffered an injury once in her entire life. Her broken left arm painlessly felt new and repaired again.

On that same thought, she noticed her body now began to feel like a cup or chalice, and as the Light washed over her, she could feel the 'level's rising within her. Vibrations as a result of all of the raw energy running through her shook her to her core, as one last final pulse of raw, golden Light erupted from her chest, and she landed back on her feet.

Her first thing to notice was that she stood a little bit taller than before, and an immeasurable strength now felt possible to her, as if anything that had once been too heavy was now just child's play. Looking down at her right fist, the armor that she had worn that had once been tarnished from her fall from Ghaul's ship was now restored and returned to new.

"Eyes up, Guardian." a familiar voice spoke up, in the form of a small robot gently floating at her eye level.

Small magenta ribbons traced along the shell of the small vessel, a rich and royal purple covering the majority of it, with the occasional white and black stripes for decoration. A singular purple eye glanced back at Demeter, as it nodded it's form knowingly.

"Your voice, you're-"

" Your Ghost. I am your Ghost." the small robot's shell twisted for a second, before blinking shut. " Though yes, you once called me Amethyst."

"Newest member of the Titan ranks, I welcome you to our noble cause. The Light is a gift, but it is not one to be squandered, you will use it for great things, of this, I am certain." the voice behind her spoke up. "What better way to welcome a new Guardian to our ranks, than a trial? Let'em have it."

Ahead of Demeter, only a few feet from her position was what appeared to be a well of the same golden Light that had been talking to her. Approaching the well of energy, the small purple Ghost beside her disappeared into thin air, much to her confusion.

"Don't worry, Dem. I'm still here. This is still new to me, but I got your back."

The well inside of Demeter swelled as she approached the golden Light, as she felt overwhelming strength cast itself over her. Clenching her fists, she felt like a chalice overflowing. Void energy began to creep up her legs and across her arms, but it did not cause her any harm, instead, it was empowering her. With the new surge of energy, Demeter's left hand moved practically by itself, thrusting straight up into the air. With a flash of Void Light, a shield of Void energy, like she had seen in her vision, appeared on her arm.

Around her, a mass of at least twenty Dregs, ten Vandals, and even a pair of Fallen Captains approached. With a smirk on her face, she was no longer afraid. Twisting around on her boots, Demeter's shield released from her arm, sailing through the air towards the nearest Dreg. With a screech, the creature evaporated into the void, as the shield continued to bounced around like a pin-ball against bumpers.

While her initial shield was bouncing in between the mass of Dregs, a second appeared on her left wrist again. Swinging as hard as she could, Demeter let the power of her legs and the swing carry her practically through the air, her shield striking the nearest Captain square in the face. It's carapace cracked at the impact of her strike, staggering her foe backwards.

With another twirl, she threw the second shield at the staggered Captain, which evaporated the beast and bounced to a nearby Vandal, continuing in it's path against another pair of Vandals, before striking the last Captain. Before a third could appear on her arm, the shield dissolved, as well as the void energy covering her. A feeling of exhaustion passed through her, as she jumped backwards and narrowly avoided the remaining Captain's shock blades.

Another pool of golden Light was just to her left, and initializing her Lift thrusters, she launched herself towards the pool. When she stood in it, the nauseous feeling that had once overcome her subsided, and the overwhelming feeling of power rose through her again. Summoning the shield was just as easy as the first time, and with one last deft throw of her shield, the final Captain fizzled back into the void.

The ground beneath her quaked, however, as she turned to see a massive Fallen, easily the largest she had ever seen, towering over her. Where just a week before she had been frightened by a Baron, this creature got little fear out of her. Jumping backwards to avoid a swing of it's right arms, Demeter's head snapped up towards the beast. Charging at it, she jumped onto one of it's arms as it swung by, activating her Lift to launch her up to it's face level.

With a mighty swing, she struck the monster in the face. The force of the blow was enough to cause it stumbling back. Landing on her feet, her Lift systems engaged again and launched her forward into a full sprint. The massive Fallen Archon Priest gaffawed as it readied it's shrapnel launcher. Raising her shield, Demeter stomped forward, a wall of void energy emanated from her shield, absorbing the blows.

As the monster went to reload, Demeter focused all of her remaining pent up Light into the shield, as the Void tendrils on her arms and legs elongated, pouring themselves into the shield. With all of the Light amassed into one singular shield, she jumped once more to it's head level and swung as hard as she now could. With a sickening crack of the Archon Priest's carapace, the monster stumbled backwards, tripping on a rock and falling onto it's back.

Twirling herself in air, Demeter threw the shield one last time, as it struck the Archon Priest in the face. It slowly evaporated into the void, starting from it's head down to it's legs. When Demeter landed, however, she no longer felt the sickness of spending her Light, and stood proudly, fists clenched at her side.

"You just became a Guardian and you already killed an Archon Priest." the voice called from around the forest. "She was right about you. We'll be in touch, for now,
    go get some rest and use that new power of yours for good.
    "

"Will you one day tell me who you are?" Demeter asked, turning to the monolith.

"Only when you reach your full potential will you know who I am. Until then, be gone from this place and gather yourself."

\\'Boyo\\'

Thanks for Reading!

Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r on September 23rd 2017, 1:00 pm

"Will you learn to exhibit some patience?!" a woman's voice broke the now stillness in front of the Traveler's shard. Demeter tensed as she turned to the origin of the voice in the forest's edge.

"Listen, I'm not the one shouting in the middle of hostile territory." the voice of a man followed shortly after the woman's.

Demeter and her now Ghost mentor, Amethyst, turned to glance at one another, before glancing at the approaching pair of people. The flora of the forest's edge crunched and snapped as a lone woman stumbled out into the clearing, thistle and pine needles covered her practically from head to toes, and her once elaborate robes now were torn and host to an assortment of sticks and leaves.

By Demeter's limited interactions with Warlocks, she knew undoubtedly that this woman belonged to the Warlock guild. Following her suit, but with much more grace, a man with a ratty set of skin tight armor and what could have once been a long flowing cape, now reduced to rags, stepped out.

"-and for the record, you were the one running the entire time." the Hunter shook his head, brushing a lone pine cone off of his shoulder. "Oh, I wasn't expecting to see anyone else here."

"What do you-" the Warlock growled with annoyance, following the Hunter's line of sight. At the sight of Demeter in full armor, the Warlock flinched. "Oh!"

The Hunter and the Warlock trudged down the small borough they had been standing on, and placed themselves directly in front of Demeter. Demeter tensed as the Hunter walked circles around her, as if he was examining her, while the Warlock stood with an air of majesty around her. At the end of his lap, the Hunter placed himself beside the Warlock, crossing his arms.

"Sorry for the rudeness of my acquaintance here, he can be a bit... crass."

"I'm not crass, I'm bold." the Hunter shook his head. "-and you have to excuse tea party princess over here, she's a bit presumptuous."

"What are the two of your doing out here without any weapons to at least defend yourself?" Amethyst's frame twisted as she floated towards them.

"I used my Hunter's cunning to avoid any confrontation, and she used her ability to make every Fallen in a tri-county area hear her to distract them while I took them out one by one." the Hunter snickered, before shaking his head and performing a double take. "Wait a minute, you're an actual functioning Ghost."

"-and you're a moderately annoying Hunter, your point?"

"What he means to say is; the Light is with you." the Warlock said with amazement. "So we are in the right place then."

"We were newcomers to the Farm about a few hours ago, walked our way from the Cosmodrome. The de facto leader of the place, Hawthorne if memory serves me, told us of some young upstart in Titan gear headed this way." he shrugged. "We witnessed countless dead Lightless Guardians on our way out of the Cosmodrome alone, countless more just en route to the Farm. We couldn't just stand idly by with the idea that a foolhardy Titan, especially so young and inexperienced, was out here alone."

"Well." Demeter tapped the Sub Machine gun on her hip. "I've had this one since I escaped the City, and it was more than enough to get me this far."

"-and you did it without the Light." the Warlock mused. "That's incredibly strong and brave of you."

"Well, I was used to it." Demeter shrugged. "I've only just recently been introduced to the Light."

"Wait, what?!" the Hunter and Warlock turned to glance at each other, before snapping their attention back to her, the Hunter stepping forward to continue. "You fought your way here, a civilian of the City?"

"Well, I was trained gun discipline and basic rules of engagement by her." Demeter gestured to the Ghost beside her. "Well, when she was a Titan, that is."

"In my past life, I was known as Iron Lady Amethyst Stratus." Amethyst spoke up, turning to Demeter. "Demeter here was my apprentice, hoping to one day bask in the Light and join the Titan order. Today was the culmination of all of her training."

"Stratus..." the Hunter pondered for a second. "Wait, like that hot shot Titan?"

"Which one?" Demeter and Amethyst asked with a snicker. "My brother was Drake Stratus, and my great yada yada yada nephew Lance Stratus were both Titans, as was I."

"You ignoramus." the Warlock slapped the Hunter on the shoulder. "Drake Stratus was the one who slayed Crota and Oryx. Lance Stratus and Lady Amethyst were the ones to help Fireteam Stratus slay Aksis; Archon Prime."

After berating her Hunter companion, the Warlock took a graceful bow, despite the appearance of her ceremonial robes. At the end of her bow, she gingerly removed her helmet to reveal a cascade of vibrant yellow hair. A pair of luminous blue eyes looked Demeter over, as the Warlock smiled.

"I am Alexandrie Churchill. I was once a Warlock that sought training under Lady Tina at the Iron Temple when Lord Saladin opened it once more to the public." she smiled. "Though for simplicity sake, you can just call me Alex."

"You'll understand that I'm a bit wiser not to take my helmet off in hostile territory." the Hunter scoffed begrudgingly. "I'm Samuel Beckwith, call me 'Sam' and my throwing knife may find it's way into your forehead."

"Noted." Demeter flinched at the thought. "As my mentor said, I'm Demeter."

"No last name?" Alex asked, as Demeter frowned.

"I have one, I just... don't share it."

"So is this where you were first introduced to the Light?" Alex asked, producing a small ruby red Ghost from her cloak.

"Yes, I approached that shard of the Traveler." Demeter gestured to the long since silent monolith beside her.

With another smile, Alex replaced the helmet to the top of her head and, with Samuel at her side, approached the monolith. However, no golden crack formed on the side of the monolith. No eerie, cryptic voice beckoning them towards it. After a moment of trying various ways of interacting with the monolith, Samuel turned around.

"What gives, huh?" he growled. "You think this is a joke?!"

"There was a voice talking to me, it lead me here and introduced me to the Light. Trust me, I used to be several inches shorter and way weaker then." Demeter frowned, approaching alongside them.

"You're still here? I thought I instructed you to leave?" the voice echoed from the monolith.

"There are Lightless Guardians here that need to be reintroduced to the Light." Demeter spoke up, much to the confusion of both Alex and Samuel.

"Who are you-?" Alex started, as Amethyst floated up and shook her form.

"There are countless Guardians that are seeking to be reintroduced to the Light. This Shard only possesses so much pure Light. That of which is being reserved." the voice continued. "Those you are accompanied by have not yet understood the severity of their situation, and thus, I do not see it fit to bestow anything upon them."

"So you would rather they die outright instead of giving them a final chance?" Demeter shook her head in disbelief.

"The gift of the Light is not one to be squandered. These two were in the Cosmodrome when the Light was stripped from the Universe. They did little to aid the City in it's time of need, and their title of 'Guardian' is severely in question." the voice spoke bluntly. "Devotion, Bravery, Sacrifice... Death. These are the four single greatest factors in what makes a Guardian. Devotion inspires Bravery, Bravery inspires Sacrifice, and Sacrifice leads to Death."

"Your devotion and bravery is what lead you to this monolith to earn the Light you had never been bestowed before, the willingness to sacrifice yourself at the fear of death, that is why you were chosen." the voice spoke. "Those that had the Light before only used it as a tool. They did not realize what they had, and ultimately, lost it."

"Once more I will instruct you, and this will be the last time that I do. Be gone from this corrupted place and bolster the Light you now possess. In doing so, you will find that your potential will become more and more recognizable. Lead by example, and the other Guardians will find their way back to the Light."

With one more flourish of golden Light, the voice's final words echoed in the distance before the dark forest dwindled back into solemn silence. She turned to Alex and Samuel, who glanced at her expectantly.

"The Light is not ready to return to you yet." she shook her head solemnly. "Whatever voice lead me here said that the gift of the Light is not to be squandered, yet many Guardians only utilized it as a tool and took advantage of it. The voice has said that you will both be introduced to the Light in time, if you can remember, understand, and acknowledge the four main core elements that make a Guardian."

"-and we're just supposed to believe someone we just met that some disembodied voice is telling them we can't be reintroduced to the Light just yet?" Samuel crossed his arms with a snort of disgust.

"Well think about it, Samuel." Alex frowned. "We were in the Cosmodrome just taking in the view when the City was under attack, it wasn't until the signal cleared and our Light was gone that we realized anything had happened."

"If what Demeter says is true, than we need to rediscover what it means to be a Guardian before we can have the Light back."

"Hey, congratulations on finding the Light or whatever." Hawthorne's voice echoed over the comms. "I have a friend whose holed up in a church somewhere near the Trostlands. Name's Devrim Kay, you might need to speak up on the account he doesn't wear his hearing aid, but he's a good man."

"Alright, we're en-route." Demeter nodded, punching in the coordinates for the remote town in the European Dead Zone. "Is there anything we need from him?"

"I'd sooner say that he has things he needs from you, and he'll reward you with things you need." Hawthorne snickered. "Just between you and me though, never bring up accents or dialect with him, unless you have time for five hours of gruesome story time with a senile old Brit."

"Does he happen to have any ships?" Samuel grunted as he and Alex were forced to use Demeter's co-pilot seat, Alex sitting uncomfortably on his lab.

"Most men would be happy to have a lady sitting here."

"Most men aren't being crushed- OW!"

"Actually yes, he has managed to collect a few remote ships that he might be willing to part with." Hawthorne replied. "You'll have to really impress him before he even considers it though."

"He'd be more impressed if we could travel independently." Samuel grumbled. "Get more work done faster."

With a sigh, Demeter thrust the ship into an accelerated state, and within mere seconds, they were hovering over a precarious cliff on the edge of a once beautiful European town. The church in question sat as a centerfold directly in the middle of the initial landing zone. Amethyst did her best to transmat the three of them onto land, before piloting the ship manually back to orbit.

"Always took that for granted with my Ghost, back in the day." Amethyst shook her form, before disappearing into Demeter's helmet.

Demeter's eyes scanned the front of the church, until a small lens flare off of the barrel of a sniper rifle caused her to flinch. She couldn't make out the individual on the other end, but knew that was likely the man they were looking for. There was the sound of echoing gunfire around them, many of the firefights sounding distant. With Alex and Samuel in tow, they trudged their way up to the church.

Inside, the evidence of a horrific post Collapse war was staggering, as the once beautiful place of worship was now just filled with debris, wreckage, and unfamiliar flora that had somehow been tainted by the corrupted Light in the region. Skeletons of both human and Fallen alike littered the ground, with little in the ways of lighting with the exception of a few oil lanterns.

A lone scaffold spanned from just in front of Demeter, to what appeared to be the old belfry. With her new companions swiftly in tow, she ascended the scaffolding. At the top, the visual of a resistance HQ or at least outpost was glaringly more obvious the longer she looked at it. Emptied cans devoid of food or some other sustenance were piled carelessly in a corner, with various communications relays and data terminals put in a corner nearby the open window for ease of access.

The aforementioned window was currently the position of a man with short salt and pepper hair, as well as a survival vest and enough long armed sweaters to keep him warm in the otherwise dreary locale he lived in.

"Ah guests, and here I have no tea to serve. We've come on dire times indeed." the man's deep accented voice lent to his winning smile. "I suppose introductions are in order. Devrim Kay, the eighth, at your service. I once served the City but, well, we all know how that fared."

"Now I serve my good friend Suraya Hawthorne, heh." he snickered to himself. "Please excuse me, if I may be so bold as to ask to whom I am speaking?"

"I am Demeter, and this is Alexandrie and Samuel." Demeter gestured to them. "Ms. Hawthorne had instructed us to come seek you out, in hopes you might outfit my companions and I with some proper weapons you might have scavenged. In exchange, we'd be glad to offer you any and all support we can."

"Straight to the point, I appreciate that." Devrim smirked. "Right-o. First on the docket; we need to contact other refugees from the City and beyond and direct them to the Farm for shelter. That'll mean building a communications relay powerful enough to blanket the surrounding region. Unfortunately, this will have to be a 'from scratch' project."

"Also just as important, my aim is true and has served me well thus far. However, one man with no Light is no match for as many Fallen that have suddenly started swarming the area. One could say they're giving me a 'Devil' of a time."

"Ugh." Amethyst groaned.

"That's where you three come in. I've seen Guardians handle combat, and even if you don't have your Light anymore, I trust you can go a few rounds with the Fallen." Devrim nodded, gesturing with his rifle to get across his final point. "Right, I suppose now we let the guns do the talking, yeah? You might have noticed the mess downstairs, truth be told, I need you all to do some investigating for me. I managed to drive off the Fallen that dared sneak inside here, but they managed to do something, and I'm a bit pre-occupied up here to do anything about it. Do a gentleman this one favor, will you?"

"That won't be a problem." Samuel nodded, before crossing his arms. "If we had weapons, that is."

"Right." Devrim nodded. "I'm not Master Rahool, but I know a thing or two about crypto-archeology. That said, I happened to have converted some of the weapons I've scavenged into some engrams that might prove useful for you. As a sign of faith for this budding relationship, I give them to you in hopes that we can do well together."

Turning to the OPs center beside him, Devrim quickly scavenged for five white colored engrams. With a quick scan of each of them, they reemerged as a Hand Cannon, a Scout Rifle, two Pulse Rifles, and an Auto Rifle. Samuel quickly snatched up the Hand Cannon as well as a Pulse Rifle, while Alex took to the Scout Rifle and the Auto Rifle. Devrim, left only with the last remaining Pulse Rifle, quickly brought it to bear.

When their loadouts had been established, with one last silent nod, the three walked back down the shoddy scaffold back to the bottom floor. When there, they found a fresh trail of ether that they hadn't entirely noticed their first time through. Following it, they located a mysterious green banner with a Fallen symbol painted on it, as well as a spike with a pair of Fallen skulls skewered on it.

The trail of fresh spilled ether ended at a lone Dreg at the base of the standard on the wall. Amethyst appeared from behind Demeter, floating up to it and scanning it momentarily.

"Just as I thought. This banner belonged to the House of Judgement. Lance and his fireteam once worked alongside the 'Kell' of Judgement, a strange Fallen named Variks the Adjudicator. Variks was Warden for the Prison of Elders, which he opened to Guardians as a means of testing their meddle against the many vile creatures out there."

"That is fascinating." Devrim spoke up over comms. "Seems like this was some kind of message, but to whom? Either way, I imagine you'll likely find more oddities out here like that, maybe with a bit of story to them?"

"Which reminds me, I've got my eyes on a nearby cache that has your name on it. I'm not entirely sure how or when it got there, but those are likely to contain weapons or even armor that might help better protect you out here. Anything you find you don't want, bring it to me and I might just reward you."

"Aren't we supposed to be dealing with the Fallen problem, not just gathering supplies for you?" Samuel scoffed.

"There is much more to war than just shooting guns and killing each other. Sometimes, it's a battle of wits, or a race to have more resources that put you at an advantage over your enemy. Without the Light, Humanity needs every upper hand we can muster."

\\'Boyo\\'

Thanks for Reading!

Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

Post  Shad0wChas3r Yesterday at 6:19 pm

"Thank you very kindly for the supplies." Devrim smirked, leaning against the window's frame, just out of view from the small skirmish between the Cabal and Fallen taking place just outside. "It's a bit too noisy for my liking outside, but they do this every hour or so. They'll be retreating and licking their wounds in a bit."

Stepping away from his window for a moment, Devrim gestured for them to follow him. With a gesture of his rifle, he pointed at a strange, upside down 'U' shape on the far wall of the church, with a dot in the middle of it. Turning to Samuel, he shouldered his rifle. "You know anything about that?"

"That's the symbol for a place the City's Hunters mark as extremely dangerous... or valuable. We call 'em Lost Sectors, areas where us Hunters managed to scout something useful, but claimed by powerful foes." Samuel crossed his arms. "I personally painted that one with my mentor Shiro-4 a few months back."

"Hmm. It must not have crossed my mind." Devrim mulled over the information. "Why don't you three see what you can find down there?"

"Didn't you hear me?" Samuel unfurled his arms in disbelief. "I said it's dangerous down there."

"-ah yes." Devrim nodded, before gently twirling a pair of green engrams in his hand. "-but I do recall you also said they were valuable, yes? Any and all supplies would be beneficial to our cause, and if you scout it out for me, I'll make it worth your while."

"With some crappy prototype guns?" Samuel scoffed. "Hell no."

"Try a pair of inter-stellar capable ships complete with FTL drives?" Devrim grinned. "While you were gallivanting around for that cache, Suraya informed me that you were in desperate need for ships."

"That's a pretty risky prospect, Devrim." Alex shook her head. "What if we're overpowered down there?"

"There is a saying that one of my favorite authors put oh so delicately; risk rewards risk, complacency yields complacency." Devrim shrugged, slowly going to pocket the engrams. "If you are content with sharing the same ship, I am content with keeping these ships for someone that wants to earn them."

Demeter made a motion to speak, as Alex and Samuel glanced at each other, before practically racing each other down the scaffold. Amethyst shook her form before turning to face Demeter. "They are aware there are two ships, right?"

"Given the time we've come to know them, you already have your answer." Demeter sighed. "We'll be right back... hopefully."

"Be safe, Guardian." Devrim said, which did raise Demeter's spirits considerably.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The group of three moved swiftly and silently through the old subway tunnels deep below the church. Dust was stagnant at all corners of the winding tunnels and halls, from years of being untouched. Demeter thought it was odd, considering Samuel had claimed he and his mentor had once scouted this area.

"All this dust, are you sure you've been here?"

"Dust can settle over four months, you know? Especially dust that has formed from several centuries." Samuel replied. "Besides, Hunters walk lighter on our feet than you Titans or Warlocks."

"Yeah, but those capes you wear must've stirred up more than this?"

"Alright, alright, you caught me. I was scared, so Shiro did all the work, alright? I just painted the symbol." Samuel growled. "I'm more of a scout than a combatant."

Alex and Demeter looked at each other and silently shook their heads, before continuing into what appeared to be a control station. A few Dregs rested against the old partially rusted metal walls, while a pair of Shank turrets floated harmlessly above a few data terminals. Partially broken siege proof glass stood between them and the larger transit hub beyond. Through the glass was what Demeter could only assume was a Captain, a trio of Vandals, yet more Dregs, and a Shank.

A lone orange hued chest sporting a similar symbol to the one Samuel had painted was in the center of the crowd, and thankfully for them, none of the Fallen had yet seemed to notice them. Strangely, explosive barrels surrounded the room they had just stepped in. Demeter's only thought was the Dregs and Shanks were meant to arm motion sensors to the explosives, but had grown lazy and fallen asleep.

After a silent deliberation, and so not to squander their chance for surprise, the three opened fire on the explosives nearest the Dregs. As to be expected the red barrels erupted into massive, forceful explosions that riddled the three to the core. in bursts of fire, the Dregs and Shanks disappeared to ash, and the once siege proof glass, centuries old, finally shattered.

Demeter charged forward with her Sub in hand. Jumping through the remains of the window, she opened fire with her SMG into the Captain's chest. First it's energy shielding burst, and a few rounds pierced it's chiton. Undetered, however, the Captain grabbed her with it's four arms and tossed her aside. Dregs and Vandals ignited their shock blades, chasing after her while she tumbled away. The lone Shank opened fire on Samuel and Alex, who were then forced into cover.

Their Ghosts deactivated via the lack of Light, not only could they not be resurrected, but they couldn't be healed as quickly either. The Captain, now fully alert to the situation, detached it's shrapnel launcher from it's upper torso and made it's way for the broken window and the Lightless Guardians on the other side.

Demeter grit her teeth as she stood, while the Light was healing her wounds, she wasn't quite used to this kind of punishment. Her frustration pent up inside her as the Light source inside of her overflowed once more. Void tendrils slowly vined their way up her arms and legs, her left arm thrust into the air, and the void shield once again manifested on her arm.

Spinning on her boots, the shield detached from her arm at her command, spinning in perfect formation towards the nearest Vandal. Upon contact, the Vandal fizzled into the void, as the shield bounced in between the crowd. With each Dreg and Vandal it struck, the victim joined it's brethren, sucked mercilessly into the Void.

Alex screamed in the other room, through the broken window, as Demeter's attention snapped in that direction. Using her Lift ability to float back up through the window, she saw the Captain pin Alex down with her boot, Sharpnel Launcher directly in Alex's face. Demeter twirled once more, feeling the overflow of Light close to dwindling.

The shield escaped her arm and struck the Captain in the back of the head. While the strike wasn't fatal, it was more than enough to distract the Captain long enough for Samuel to tackle it to the floor and run his sharpened knife into the Captain's face. The Captain roared as it's movements were rigid and slowed, until it stopped moving altogether.

Samuel grunted as he pulled the knife out of it's face, a small tuft of ether pouring out. Amethyst floated over and scanned the dead Captain's body, while Samuel and Demeter checked on Alex. With each of them offering a hand, Alex took it and stood, clutching her rib cage when she fully stood.

"I managed to snag a keycode off of the Captain when you killed it." Amethyst turned to them. "I'm not used to being this... informative. However, I think it'll open the chest."

"I'll do it." Samuel said, turning to Demeter. "Watch over her, yeah?"

Stepping over the fragmented safety glass and back into the chest room, Samuel and Amethyst moved to the chest's location. Kneeling down, Samuel waited for Amethyst to input the code, and with the satisfying click, opened the heavy metal container's top hatch. His eyes narrowed as his fists clenched.

"There's nothing here." he grit his teeth. "We did this for nothing!"

"I wouldn't say nothing. I didn't specify that anything would be in there, you did." Devrim crackled over the comms. "I already claimed everything that was in there this morning. You did, however, prove to me that you are still Guardians. You're reward may have been the ships, but you went to get that chest because deep down, you understand that people needed those supplies."

"Alex nearly died." Samuel shook his head, slamming the chest lid down.

"It was my belief that Guardians die and are reborn all the time. I and Suraya have no such blessing, but yet here we are. Now, as I promised, you've opened the chest as I requested. Your ship engrams are here and ready. Devrim replied. "I'll have one more request for you, then we'll call it a day."

As Samuel began his return to the others, Amethyst's form turned to the puddle where Amethyst had been tossed. In the small pool of water, what appeared to be a blue colored sapling began to sprout. Confused, she rammed her form into the small of Samuel's back.

"Ow! What the hell?!" Samuel growled, as he saw something shimmer out of the corner of his eyes. He peered at the tree for all of a moment, feeling something shifting in one of his suit's many survival pouches.

Producing his Ghost, which was a deep gray with orange trimming, the small orb of energy moved for the first time in almost a week. His attention turned to Alex, who struggled to remove her own Ghost. Floating just slightly above their hands, the two looked at each other. Demeter was confused, and helped Alex walk over to the broken window and through it.

"I-I never thought I'd feel it again." Alex's Ghost shook her form in disbelief. "Flynt, can you feel it?"

"Ruby, I'll give you a second to let you sink in how stupid you sound." Flynt shook his form. "Of course I'd know what the Light feels like."

Alex and Samuel looked at each other, before Samuel helped her down the stairs to the small blue, glowing tree. Budding from the leaves like dew in the fall were small little sphere of blue Light, a sight unforeign to all but Demeter. The Orbs of Light grew to the size of basketballs, before falling from the small sapling, one for Alex and Samuel each. Demeter's skin began to crawl as she heard the sound of not one, but two Archons approaching from the way they had, as well as the sound of several Fallen troops.

"Guard.... an..... he... me?" Devrim's voice crackled faintly in the communications. "Ca... ar... ou. Arc...nd.. on.. riest... ming..our... way."

"We've got company inbound, we need to find another way out!" Demeter called over, as Flynt and Ruby, Samuel and Alex's Ghosts respectively, turned to each other and floated down towards the orbs that Demeter had produced inadvertently.

With a bright flash of Light that nearly blinded the three Guardians, she could just barely make out Alex and Samuel being lifted into the air, Light coursing from the sapling into both of them. Landing on their feet, the two Guardians stood as their respective Ghosts flourished around them with new vigor.

"I'm not running anymore." Samuel snickered, twirling his Hand Cannon on his finger.

"I agree." Alex rolled her shoulders. "You've done more than enough for us, so let us repay the favor."

Samuel and Alex's hands thrust into the air, as Alex did a bit of a twirl for show. Solar energy covered her cloak from head to boot, a flaming sword forming in her hand. Samuel, on the other hand, crouched low as an Arc infused bowstaff appeared in his hand. The two Guardians rushed past Demeter, the sound of phoenixes crying and electricity coursing between several different creatures echoed from the hall behind her.

Demeter's attention turned to the sapling that had once been there, now wilted and sinking back into the Earth. She smiled as she realized what it had meant, but clutched her head as she felt herself sinking to her knees.

"Listen, I'm just saying that Titan's got the short end of the Void infused stick." a Warlock and a Titan sat at a cafe table, while a lone Huntress, one Demeter had met, sat on a guard rail, glancing out into the land beyond the Tower.

"-and I'm saying you're full of crap." the Titan grunted with a mixture of anger and annoyance. "One suppression grenade and *poof* no more space magic for you. I get her bow, more frequently."

"In his defense," the Hunter sighed, standing between the Warlock and Titan. "When it comes to the penultimate ability, the Ward of Dawn just doesn't cut it."

"You seem to forget that the Ward of Dawn is only ONE discipline of the Void Titan techniques." The Titan crossed his arms. "No Titan in existence, minus my grandfather, have managed to master it. This is the same guy that managed to make Warpath Titans, and his Fist of Havoc last more than one initial strike, remember?"

"Oh yeah, and what is this other 'discipline' called?" the Warlock snorted, at this point Demeter could tell he was going out of his way to annoy the Titan.

"I haven't given it a name yet. The technique was lost when my grandfather disappeared all those years ago." the Titan scoffed, before producing a smaller, condensed Ward of Dawn in his hand. "Void isn't hard to master, egg head. You don't look into it, you understand it."

"One cannot simply understand the Void." the Warlock, now visibly angered, leaned forward.

"Oh really? Than how is it that a Hunter can form a bow from it, without first understanding what it is? Or how a Titan can call upon it and form it into a dome to protect everyone inside it?" the Titan snickered cockily. "Observe this!"

With a bit of strain from the Titan's part, the condensed Ward of Dawn, no bigger than his palm, slowly flattened itself into a curved, indented disk. Demeter glanced at the disk with confusion, before realizing it was the very shield she had been utilizing.

"A shield..." the Warlock shook his head in disbelief. "So you did-"

"No." the Titan replied, as the disk disappeared from existence. "Unlike the Warpath Titan technique, this discipline is not exclusive to my family alone. The shield came to me in a dream, but I have not mastered it. I firmly believe this is something my grandfather had come up with, but couldn't teach to people before he disappeared."

"It's an offensive discipline of the Void Titan order. As their Vanguard, I intend to study this fully and teach it to them en masse. Whatever's going on at the edge of our system is coming swiftly, and I want us to be ready to attack and defend when necessary."

"Speaking of, I've got scout reports of unknown ships approaching Luna." the Huntress glanced down at a data pad that she had been studying while the two bantered. "I suggest we check it out personally."

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"Dem? Dem?!"

"I'm okay, I'm okay." Demeter slowly stood, with Alex and Samuel standing over her. "I just... had a vision again?"

"What did you see?" Alex asked, helping her to her feet.

"There was a Huntress, a Warlock, and a Titan."

"Sounds like the beginning of a very bad Cayde joke." Samuel shook his head.

"They were arguing about Void techniques among our three classes." Demeter shook off the sluggish feeling from reawakening. "The Titan showed some prospect of the shield I've been using. Saying the technique has been gone since his grandfather disappeared.... but everything looked new."

" I see. That must have been Drake, Jeremy, and Lillian. Remember that story I told you about how Drake was angered by Jeremy? I remember him once confiding in me, before they went to the Moon and encountered the Hive, that there was a long lost Titan discipline." Amethyst mused. " I've been too distracted with my new form I never once thought to mention that I had never once seen an offensive Void Titan before."

"Come to think of it, neither had I." Alex placed a hand on her shoulder. "-but hey, times are changing. I've never seen a Warlock with a blade that shone with the intensity of a early morning sun, or a Hunter with a polearm before."

"Either way you look at it, we all have Light in some form or another." Samuel crossed his arms. "Now I know what we have to do. We have to find the Vanguard and get this fight brought back to the City."

"Fireteam Stratus might be a better bet." Hawthorne's voice crackled over the comms. "Their members just showed up a bit before I left."

"Left? Where are you?" Demeter asked, as Hawthorne snickered.

"Did you already forget Devrim's initial request? I don't blame you, he's easily forgettable." Hawthorne replied. "I'm at the top of the salt mine north of the church, building the relay to lead people to the Farm. I need a crucial piece from Devrim though, so if you'd be so kind as to check on him?"

"Welcome back. I saw the Archon Priest and his Archon associate, as well as a small army working it's way down there." Devrim shook his head with the first frown any of them could have attested to him providing. "I tried to warn you, but the systems were a bit dodgy. I think they might have had a jammer on them to try and get a jump on you."

"Anyways, I did manage to brew some tea for you all this time, but I appear to have drunk it all. Perhaps if you were a mite quicker? Heh." he returned to his usual smile. "Back to business, the beacon Suraya is working on- while you three were out tussling with the Fallen, she encountered a bit of a set-back."

"The long and short of it is the relay doesn't have the range we require. I think it's a bit curious, but you know how Hawthorne is. I've taken the liberty, whilst drinking the tea, to fashion you this signal booster." Devrim held out his hand, providing the flat motherboard like creation, as well as the pair of green engrams.

Flynt and Ruby took to decrypting the engrams into the ships, though they were transmatted to orbit. Amethyst took the signal booster, transmatting it to a safe place until they needed it.

"Beyond that, there is still plenty more that needs doing out here. If you three can manage it. For now, see about getting that signal booster to Suraya, and then consider taking some time for yourselves at the Farm."

\\'Boyo\\'

Thanks for Reading!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is September 25th 2017, 1:55 am