Welcome to the Halo Database! A creative community where all fandoms are celebrated and shared! Sit back, relax, and let the creative juices flow!

Latest topics

» Sentinel; Invasion
by Shad0wChas3r September 14th 2017, 6:34 pm

» Discuss Anything
by Manny September 12th 2017, 9:22 pm

» Writer's Roundtable
by Bad John September 12th 2017, 12:26 pm

» Global Defense Alliance Kaiju Dossier
by Impanther September 3rd 2017, 5:35 pm

» Origins: Reclamation
by Shad0wChas3r August 30th 2017, 2:05 am

» Final battle: Eyes of Noivern: Short story
by Impanther August 20th 2017, 6:21 pm

» New project trailer
by Impanther July 12th 2017, 7:32 pm

» Godzilla: Gods and Demons
by Impanther July 12th 2017, 6:14 pm

» TWFF Btyes.
by Bad John June 20th 2017, 11:13 pm

September 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930 

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None


[ View the whole list ]


Most users ever online was 29 on October 1st 2013, 12:09 am


    PoFE (Timeline and OTD)

    Share
    avatar
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

    Posts : 1350
    Join date : 2013-01-17
    Age : 22
    Location : The Great White North (Canada)

    Re: PoFE (Timeline and OTD)

    Post  Manny on February 3rd 2014, 5:09 pm

    Shad0wChas3r wrote:Oh my god that's perfect. Blaine is acting as Bailey's personal guard as per request of Admiral Hood. They discover something on the surface of Reach *i.e the structure from the game Reach*, where they discover the coordinates that lead Cortana to Delta Halo in Halo CE.
    You meant the Babd Catha Forerunner Complex right? (Red is link!)

    Oh, and it's ALPHA Halo Morgan. Delta Halo was the one in Halo 2 I think.

    Almost done a post with Walter briefing the team by the way. The team IS everyone present there right?

    Oh, and I should probably mention one last thing. Although War may have put Manuel in charge, I'm not going to be pushy about it.

    I'm just going to have Manuel be pretty lax about orders. As way to "test" how Freelancers and the UNSC soldiers do on their own and how well they follow War's orders. Manuel's just there to bring people in line in case they stray REALLY far from his orders, like using the data to bargain with enemies (which is highly unlikely from anybody here).

    As for Zach being pretty much the sole ODST... I believe that can be justified as having this mission be a test for whether or not Zach is Spartan IV material. Of course, Zach can decline the future offer afterwards (if Zman wishes to do so).

    So really, it'll roll like any other collab in terms of teamwork and chain of command.

    OH, and I wasn't sure what to use as Bailey's message... but I figured that in the briefing it would be something that would be worth showing. So I just copied and pasted it from what you posted earlier. Feel free to edit it, just be careful. I don't have a copy elsewhere.


    Last edited by Manny on February 3rd 2014, 5:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
    avatar
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

    Posts : 1180
    Join date : 2013-01-16
    Age : 22

    Re: PoFE (Timeline and OTD)

    Post  Shad0wChas3r on February 3rd 2014, 5:32 pm

    I call it Delta Halo because it's the fourth installation in the set, and in the Greek Alphabet, Delta is the fourth term in the Alphabet. Even if it is wrong, just helps me remember installation 04.


    _________________


    \\'Boyo\\'

    Thanks for Reading!

    avatar
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

    Posts : 1350
    Join date : 2013-01-17
    Age : 22
    Location : The Great White North (Canada)

    Re: PoFE (Timeline and OTD)

    Post  Manny on February 5th 2014, 8:28 am

    One other note to address.

    Up until the events of Halo CE... the Master Chief was pretty much your average Spartan II and not the legendary figure we all know him to be.

    So in this timeline... where the events of the Halo games didn't unfold, Master Chief is pretty much still stuck as an average Spartan II.

    That's not to say Spartan IIs aren't special in their own right, but among Spartans he was pretty much average.

    To be specific, what he HAD done before the Fall of Reach was:
    -Took down 3 ODSTs as a kid
    -Destroyed a Covenant vessel (where Sam died)
    -Saved the last survivors of Corbulo Academy
    -Rescued Halsley from the Third Fleet of Glorious Consequence
    -Served in 200 campaigns against the Covenant over the next 27 years
    -Has every award the UNSC can offer except Prisoner of War

    Pretty impressive, I know. Do bear in mind that there were lots of other Spartans probably doing the same things, or similar things. Master Chief is described in the books as being your average Spartan, not being fast like Kelly or excellent at melee combat like Fred.
    avatar
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

    Posts : 1212
    Join date : 2013-01-17
    Location : A box in the United States.

    Re: PoFE (Timeline and OTD)

    Post  Bad John on February 7th 2014, 1:58 pm

    Maybe Chief did something in this timeline that warranted his Legendary status, or at very least his nickname. If our characters are familiar with each-other, it's plausable that Chief still managed to do something fairly badass.

    Maybe he was the first human to kill a Promethean by sheer luck and grit. Maybe he managed to take down, or even hijack a War Sphinx. Chief could be regarded as a talisman of victory, or a lucky charm in battle.

    And whoever want's to go next, have at it, then I'll go.
    avatar
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

    Posts : 1180
    Join date : 2013-01-16
    Age : 22

    Re: PoFE (Timeline and OTD)

    Post  Shad0wChas3r on February 7th 2014, 2:41 pm

    I'd agree with John's logic. Chief shouldn't be disregarded as a Legendary soldier. While he may not have blown up two Halo Rings, or even stared down a Forerunner face to face and lived to tell the tale, he still could have performed some unheard of feat.

    Personally, I would have to say he'd be the first known Spartan to get a confirmed kill on a Promethean.

    As for whoever is next, I would go, but Crabtree asked War a question, and I'd prefer we jump order in situations like this, so we don't have four conversations at once.

    This way, if Crabtree and War have a conversation, all parties involved should wait until they have finished. All that is needed is for War *Manny* to answer his question, and then the next person in the order *John or I* could continue from there.

    It makes it a lot easier, and much more neat, instead of;

    Ma: War said this and that, any questions?

    Z: Yeah, is this a test for normal ODSTs to potentially be put on Spartan IV level?

    Mo: Something, something, Morgan's Drunk, something something.

    J: I LIEK CHOCOLATE MILLLLLLLLK!

    Ma: Yes, Zachary. Anyone else?

    Mo: Yeah, PUMPERNICKLE! *Characters run to armory*

    J: I STILL LIEK CHOCOLATE MILLLLLLLK!

    -------------------------

    This isn't to say John is unhealthily addicted to Chocolate milk, or has the spelling of an illiterate, dyslexic five year old. It just shows what might happen if, in instances like this where a singular character addresses everyone, when everyone posts in order. Plot points might be skipped over, and there will be a lot for the original poster to deal with.

    Instead, if we jump order so that the OP has the chance to address everyone singularly, whilst still able to address everyone else in due time, it'll make it a lot neater.

    For example;

    Ma: War said this and that, any questions?

    Z: Yeah, Spartan IV test for your regular ODSTs?

    Ma: Yes. Blah blah blah, testing your mettle, blah blah blah, anyone else?

    Mo: Yeah, why's the Xenophobe wannabee Luke Skywalker in charge?

    Ma: How dare you, you insignificant whelp! I AM YOUR FATHER!

    Mo: Called it.

    J: Knock it off Morgan, I know you're upset about Blaine. But remember the UNSC works with the Legion now. So play nice, alright?

    Mo: I guess yer right, I'm not in me right mind.

    Ma: If there aren't any more outbursts, shall we continue.

    V: Nah man, I just got here. What's up peeps?

    Ma: Oh great, another IV.

    Mo: Hey, Vance is just as much a Spartan as any of the Spartans in this room. No offense Crabtree.

    Z: None taken, you bastard. *chuckles*

    ----------------------------------

    Something like that. It might be a little more time consuming, but it will make it a whole bunch neater, and easier to follow along. Or at least, I think it will. But it's up to you guys.

    Needless to say, however, I'm gonna wait to post for a bit. So either John or Manny can go next.


    _________________


    \\'Boyo\\'

    Thanks for Reading!

    avatar
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

    Posts : 1350
    Join date : 2013-01-17
    Age : 22
    Location : The Great White North (Canada)

    Re: PoFE (Timeline and OTD)

    Post  Manny on February 7th 2014, 4:35 pm

    I'll go next. I was wrapped up with school work but now it's FRRRIIIIIIDDDDAAAAAAAAYYY!

    Yes, it's short but I figured it'd give Crabtree a chance to reply while moving things along.
    avatar
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

    Posts : 1350
    Join date : 2013-01-17
    Age : 22
    Location : The Great White North (Canada)

    Re: PoFE (Timeline and OTD)

    Post  Manny on February 13th 2014, 1:53 am

    IDEA 1: Ancient "badass" Humanity tech is found on the planet Heian.

    Maybe introduced to us via the four caretakers? I haven't used them for anything really, and this is an alternate timeline, but it's up to you guys.

    I don't really care (about the caretakers that is). However, that Humanity's "old" tech (in addition to Forerunner tech) and the knowledge that Humanity HAD the capacity to challenge the Forerunners at one point... may make the Covenant client species more willing to openly rebel if they believe we can stand up to the Forerunners once more. It'd also be a HUGE morale boost... I think (and support the former Legion's "humanity was best" idea). 

    IDEA 2: I'd also like to expand on some allied Covenant tech, which I assume would be greatly accelerated by Humanity. I'll run some ideas by you guys if you are ok with it.
    avatar
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

    Posts : 1212
    Join date : 2013-01-17
    Location : A box in the United States.

    Re: PoFE (Timeline and OTD)

    Post  Bad John on February 22nd 2014, 3:29 am

    I like both ideas. Float 'em both by when you get the chance.

    Since the whole idea is fairly murky, here are the basic perimeters of the operation.

    Step 1. The invasion force, consisting of a small armada of Spartans led by Johnson, make planet-fall, using drone cruisers to fight off the Forerunner's orbital defenses.

    Step 2. The invasion force engages in ground combat with Promethean forces. The ground team dedicated to locating Bailey and Blaine are dispatched quietly, moving on small ground vehicles to track Blaine's armor signal.

    Step 3. A Promethean (Codenamed Wham for convenience) is sighted, and engages the Spartans using Promethean Knight forces. The brief, yet fierce firefight is shit of legend. Poems and songs are written. (I have a special plan for that. Been thinking about it for a while.)

    The objective is to disengage Wham and escape totally. Facing him head on is suicidal.

    Step 4. Locate Bailey and Blaine, scrounge together what's left of the invasion forces, and find a way off the planet.

    That's the general plan for the Bailey rescue arc.
    avatar
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

    Posts : 1350
    Join date : 2013-01-17
    Age : 22
    Location : The Great White North (Canada)

    Re: PoFE (Timeline and OTD)

    Post  Manny on February 23rd 2014, 1:07 am

    I just realized... Every battle is crucial for humanity. Those kind of battles are what Legionnaires live for. This war is like a Legionnaire's wet dream.

    Granted, the Human-Covenant was similar but in the "prime" canon Legionnaires weren't known of until after the war. Even so, they did behind the scenes work during the war so no real "glory".

    ANYWAYS, some advanced Covie tech could be...

    Deployable Brute Shields on their arms. They'd be made of metal most likely.

    Needler shotgun? Basically you shoot and they explode. Use for Knights who probably could take a human shotgun blast at point blank and shrug it off.

    Needler sniper? One shot explosion maybe? The wiki says Sangheili have a needler pistol, and it only requires three shots to explode but the needles are larger. So maybe a big enough needle will explode in one shot?

    Brute Assault rifle? This COULD be native to them, since the spiked is a carbine. That means there's an assault rifle from which it came from. Just think of a two handed, bigger, heavier, and meaner spiked. I'll post a pic soon.

    avatar
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

    Posts : 1212
    Join date : 2013-01-17
    Location : A box in the United States.

    Re: PoFE (Timeline and OTD)

    Post  Bad John on February 25th 2014, 12:38 am

    Human built plasma weapons. I just introduced one as John's primary weapon. It's basically a steel plasma rifle that can fold up when holstered, and has a slower rate of fire with a heavier kick and better accuracy. Essentially the opposite of a Storm Rifle.

    Brute Shotgun. A heavy brute rifle that fires molten tungsten onto people, searing them badly. Mostly built for crowd control, or to inflict pain.

    Short barreled shotgun. Built to be a sidearm, it's essentially a shortened 12 gauge. A spartan can hold and fire one one handed, but it has a folding grip in front like an SMG.

    Also, I like the tiering of Spartan Shielding. I guess John's is Ranger Tier, and Jorge's would be General Tier. Not sure what the numbers correspond to though. Care to elaborate on that?
    avatar
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

    Posts : 1180
    Join date : 2013-01-16
    Age : 22

    Re: PoFE (Timeline and OTD)

    Post  Shad0wChas3r on February 25th 2014, 1:06 pm

    Building off of Manny's proposal for a Needler based sniper rifle, I also created a Brute Spiker variant; the Impaler.

    It's incredibly inaccurate, due to the fact the Ballistic is a two foot long piece of molten metal. It makes up for this with the Smart-lock target locating system, which allows the spike to home in on the target's body, at a reduced velocity, thus causing less damage. It also allows users of the Needler variant, or even the standard Human Sniper to home in on their targets, if they choose to sync.

    Without the link, the Impaler *the Spiker-rifle* has the punch to generally pierce most shields with one shot, so long as the distance is relatively long/mid range. The closer, the higher the damage output. It has four shots per clip, and reloading takes about a minute, if you're quick.

    As an example of the sheer power, if one was to shoot a grunt in the chest, the spike would not only impale them, but would lift them off of their feet and stick them to the nearest surface, much like the Javelin gun from Dead Space.
    ---------------------------------

    As for the Devastator *the Needler-sniper*, it is a sniper rifle with two firing functionalities. It is either single fire, or semi-automatic, like it's rifle counterpart.

    In single fire mode, a single needle can cause a mini super combined explosion, on the same power level of a Concussion rifle grenade. It's firing rate is kind of slow, as the needles themselves can home in to their target slightly as is the nature of the Needler weapons. If used in conjunction with the Impaler's smart-lock, the weapon will almost always hit the target's midsection/chest.

    In semi-automatic mode, needles can be fired as fast as the user can pull the trigger, but with a slight delay between each firing. It's miniature super-combining shots are significantly lowered, enough to pop an Elite General's shields in three-to four shots. Headshots can lower shields at a faster rate than just body shots, however. If more than five shots are lodged in a target, they will explode with the force of two plasma grenades.

    The rifle has a twenty round clip, and reloading take about a minute to complete, due to the instability of the rounds being placed inside.


    _________________


    \\'Boyo\\'

    Thanks for Reading!

    avatar
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

    Posts : 1350
    Join date : 2013-01-17
    Age : 22
    Location : The Great White North (Canada)

    Tech Idea Responses

    Post  Manny on February 26th 2014, 5:23 am

    Shad0wChas3r wrote:Building off of Manny's proposal for a Needler based sniper rifle, I also created a Brute Spiker variant; the Impaler.

    It's incredibly inaccurate, due to the fact the Ballistic is a two foot long piece of molten metal. It makes up for this with the Smart-lock target locating system, which allows the spike to home in on the target's body, at a reduced velocity, thus causing less damage. It also allows users of the Needler variant, or even the standard Human Sniper to home in on their targets, if they choose to sync.

    Without the link, the Impaler *the Spiker-rifle* has the punch to generally pierce most shields with one shot, so long as the distance is relatively long/mid range. The closer, the higher the damage output. It has four shots per clip, and reloading takes about a minute, if you're quick.

    As an example of the sheer power, if one was to shoot a grunt in the chest, the spike would not only impale them, but would lift them off of their feet and stick them to the nearest surface, much like the Javelin gun from Dead Space.
    ---------------------------------

    As for the Devastator *the Needler-sniper*, it is a sniper rifle with two firing functionalities. It is either single fire, or semi-automatic, like it's rifle counterpart.

    In single fire mode, a single needle can cause a mini super combined explosion, on the same power level of a Concussion rifle grenade. It's firing rate is kind of slow, as the needles themselves can home in to their target slightly as is the nature of the Needler weapons. If used in conjunction with the Impaler's smart-lock, the weapon will almost always hit the target's midsection/chest.

    In semi-automatic mode, needles can be fired as fast as the user can pull the trigger, but with a slight delay between each firing. It's miniature super-combining shots are significantly lowered, enough to pop an Elite General's shields in three-to four shots. Headshots can lower shields at a faster rate than just body shots, however. If more than five shots are lodged in a target, they will explode with the force of two plasma grenades.

    The rifle has a twenty round clip, and reloading take about a minute to complete, due to the instability of the rounds being placed inside.
    Before I say anything, let me get one thing straight: I love your concepts for these weapons. However, there a few things I find worth questioning.... 

    Impaler Questions

    Why is the smart lock only on the Impaler? Is this simply a question of it being designed there first, and will be eventually implemented into different future sniper rifles?

    When you say that without the smart lock, the Impaler can pierce shields... do you mean to say that with smart lock it can't? Simply because of a lower velocity somehow produced by the smart lock? I don't see how having a scope affects the mechanism that fires the bullet. Putting a sight on an M16 doesn't affect the bullets themselves.

    Oh, and why is it that a sniper rifle becomes more dangerous the closer you are? It's designed to be deadly from far away, so why is the gun more lethal up close? That, in real life, would be a major design flaw I believe.

    One last thing, regarding your story post. Why can't the smart lock home in on heads? It may be a prototype, but what is physically stopping the software from homing in on heads? It's just another part of the body, so if it can lock onto the human body it should be able to do the whole thing.

    These compromises seem to fit more in with a game than an actual warzone. We're trying to develop the deadliest weapons possible, don't hold back on the weapons!  Twisted Evil 

    Impaler Comments
    The wireless (I assume) syncing of smart lock between different rifles does seem pretty high tech, especially the "retro" compatibility this smart lock is showing. It is perhaps one of my favourite features of this new software, and I adore it.


    Devastator Questions
    Why is it they explode after five needles in semi-automatic mode? As far as I am aware, the number of needles required for a supercombine decreases as the size of the needles increases (i.e. Needler pistol requires 3 large needles, needler require seven small needles). It's not like the size of the needles change when switching firing modes, so a supercombine should occur within the same number of needles, regardless of firing mode. 

    Also, we're not too sure how the needler reloads. The best theory I ever saw was one that involved the gun storing some kind of chemical, which would then react with oxygen to produce the needles we all know. However, it is possible that Humanity learned to crystallize whatever it is that forms needles into needles and perhaps even "harden" them somehow to improve penetrating power? This could also explain why the needles are now reloaded like human ammunition?

    Devastator Comments
    I love the fact that when used in conjunction with the smart lock, a hit is almost guaranteed. While this may take away some of the "skill", when you're fighting a desperate war... I think you want a large number of accurate snipers, even if they have to rely on technology to be accurate. 

    Add that in to the Devastator's sheer destructive power, a squad of snipers with this weapon could probably take down a Promethean Battlewagon with little trouble from afar.

    Bad John wrote:Human built plasma weapons. I just introduced one as John's primary weapon. It's basically a steel plasma rifle that can fold up when holstered, and has a slower rate of fire with a heavier kick and better accuracy. Essentially the opposite of a Storm Rifle.

    Brute Shotgun. A heavy brute rifle that fires molten tungsten onto people, searing them badly. Mostly built for crowd control, or to inflict pain.

    Short barreled shotgun. Built to be a sidearm, it's essentially a shortened 12 gauge. A spartan can hold and fire one one handed, but it has a folding grip in front like an SMG.

    Also, I like the tiering of Spartan Shielding. I guess John's is Ranger Tier, and Jorge's would be General Tier. Not sure what the numbers correspond to though. Care to elaborate on that?
    I had an idea for the Brute shotgun. Liquid doesn't seem to fly that far and seems fairly inaccurate. Unless shot in stream, but that may require a constant holding of the trigger, and somewhat prevent from teammates from moving up, lest they be caught in your stream of molten tungsten. 

    However, maybe we could do a grenade launcher/shotgun thing? Basically, the Brutes load miniaturize version of the spike grenades into the gun, and open fire? It could explode in a conical shape, much like they do in Halo 3, AND it'd function somewhat like a human shotgun. So you pull the trigger, clear the room, and your team mates can move up?

    The levels of shields goes from 7 to 1, 7 being a Councillor and 1 being a Minor/Standard MJOLNIR strength.

    Levels are like so:

    7 - Councillor
    6 - Field Marshall
    5 - Standard Zealot
    4 - General
    3 - Ultra
    2 - Major
    1 - Minor

    Specialists have been excluded, mostly because the order of shielding wouldn't be quite so linear as it is with regular infantry. Besides, I'm pretty sure a Ranger's shielding is on par with that of another Sangheili rank.
    avatar
    Shad0wChas3r
    Database Director

    Posts : 1180
    Join date : 2013-01-16
    Age : 22

    Re: PoFE (Timeline and OTD)

    Post  Shad0wChas3r on February 26th 2014, 11:59 am

    Manny wrote:
    Shad0wChas3r wrote:Building off of Manny's proposal for a Needler based sniper rifle, I also created a Brute Spiker variant; the Impaler.

    It's incredibly inaccurate, due to the fact the Ballistic is a two foot long piece of molten metal. It makes up for this with the Smart-lock target locating system, which allows the spike to home in on the target's body, at a reduced velocity, thus causing less damage. It also allows users of the Needler variant, or even the standard Human Sniper to home in on their targets, if they choose to sync.

    Without the link, the Impaler *the Spiker-rifle* has the punch to generally pierce most shields with one shot, so long as the distance is relatively long/mid range. The closer, the higher the damage output. It has four shots per clip, and reloading takes about a minute, if you're quick.

    As an example of the sheer power, if one was to shoot a grunt in the chest, the spike would not only impale them, but would lift them off of their feet and stick them to the nearest surface, much like the Javelin gun from Dead Space.
    ---------------------------------

    As for the Devastator *the Needler-sniper*, it is a sniper rifle with two firing functionalities. It is either single fire, or semi-automatic, like it's rifle counterpart.

    In single fire mode, a single needle can cause a mini super combined explosion, on the same power level of a Concussion rifle grenade. It's firing rate is kind of slow, as the needles themselves can home in to their target slightly as is the nature of the Needler weapons. If used in conjunction with the Impaler's smart-lock, the weapon will almost always hit the target's midsection/chest.

    In semi-automatic mode, needles can be fired as fast as the user can pull the trigger, but with a slight delay between each firing. It's miniature super-combining shots are significantly lowered, enough to pop an Elite General's shields in three-to four shots. Headshots can lower shields at a faster rate than just body shots, however. If more than five shots are lodged in a target, they will explode with the force of two plasma grenades.

    The rifle has a twenty round clip, and reloading take about a minute to complete, due to the instability of the rounds being placed inside.
    Before I say anything, let me get one thing straight: I love your concepts for these weapons. However, there a few things I find worth questioning.... 

    Impaler Questions

    Why is the smart lock only on the Impaler? Is this simply a question of it being designed there first, and will be eventually implemented into different future sniper rifles?

    Simple, the weapon itself has shit accuracy. Therefore, ONI eggheads tried to implement a smart-lock technology to help boost it's accuracy. However, based on the nature of the homing technology, most of the spikes would need to take some pretty drastic angular turns to hit their target, therefore reducing the velocity with which it hits the enemy. The plausibility of this being added to the other Snipers is completely redundant, as the user can sync with friendly snipers' HUDs, therefore allowing them access to the system without requiring it for their weapons as well.

    When you say that without the smart lock, the Impaler can pierce shields... do you mean to say that with smart lock it can't? Simply because of a lower velocity somehow produced by the smart lock? I don't see how having a scope affects the mechanism that fires the bullet. Putting a sight on an M16 doesn't affect the bullets themselves.

    As I said above, it has shit accuracy, and the Smart-lock would potentially make the spikes move at extreme angles to reach a target. This causes the projectile to slow down, and, at the cost of velocity, would also affect them amount of penetration. It's not the firing mechanism, or the sight itself that lowers penetration, it's the homing effect after firing. Again, the closer the rifleman is to a target, the more likely the rounds will pierce, because there is less of a chance of an angle change.

    Consider wind direction a factor with REAL weapons, if the wind affects a bullet too much, it won't have quite as much penetration. This is why Snipers alter their drop range on their snipers to give as much velocity as possible to counter the wind.

    Oh, and why is it that a sniper rifle becomes more dangerous the closer you are? It's designed to be deadly from far away, so why is the gun more lethal up close? That, in real life, would be a major design flaw I believe.

    You seem kinda frustrated with my design. I would have figured that a Brute fan such as yourself would've been giddy as hell seeing a design like this. It's like a Sniper, but could be classified as a DMR. It has the recoil of a sniper, but the mid/semi-long range capacity of a DMR.

    People called the DMR in Halo Reach/4 a psuedo sniper rifle, does that make it a sniper rifle? I certainly don't think so.

    One last thing, regarding your story post. Why can't the smart lock home in on heads? It may be a prototype, but what is physically stopping the software from homing in on heads? It's just another part of the body, so if it can lock onto the human body it should be able to do the whole thing.

    Let's be honest, this thing would be over-powered as fuck if it could breach shields while smart-locking, and could easily aim for the head. I wanted to create a weapon with flaws *remember the allied Brutes helped the UNSC design this thing* so that I wasn't stealing all the kills of all the other collaborators here. It is still a useful weapon, it's just so Phil doesn't snipe just about every Forerunner with one shot.

    I'm trying to be more conservative with my characters, and stop trying to play the hero all the time. By making my guns less than perfect, I can prevent my characters from remaining Gary Stu's.

    You might find it completely irrelevant to your question, but it's to benefit you guys in the long run. Besides, it's as you said, it's just a prototype, they can always perfect it later on, if the general consensus says 'yes'.

    These compromises seem to fit more in with a game than an actual warzone. We're trying to develop the deadliest weapons possible, don't hold back on the weapons!  Twisted Evil 

    Which would be pretty epic if we saw them in Halo 5, but I digress. As I said above, I'm willing to make it a god-like weapon, if people generally say yes. I'm just trying to be conservative and stop playing the hero all the damn time. 'Cause when we do collabs, I feel like I'm always the one trying to take the spotlight, it's someone else's turn.

    But I appreciate the feedback you have given, so thank you!

    Impaler Comments
    The wireless (I assume) syncing of smart lock between different rifles does seem pretty high tech, especially the "retro" compatibility this smart lock is showing. It is perhaps one of my favourite features of this new software, and I adore it.

    You are right, Smart-link is a wireless sync between each Spartan's Mjolnir's HUDs, should they choose to sync. Therefore, Linda, whose skills don't require a smart-link, can reject a sync. But someone like Morgan, whose age is catching up to him, might require that extra help.

    But again, thank you for the feedback. All things considering, I was honestly very pleased with the design of this weapon.


    Devastator Questions
    Why is it they explode after five needles in semi-automatic mode? As far as I am aware, the number of needles required for a supercombine decreases as the size of the needles increases (i.e. Needler pistol requires 3 large needles, needler require seven small needles). It's not like the size of the needles change when switching firing modes, so a supercombine should occur within the same number of needles, regardless of firing mode. 

    Again, I'm trying not to make an overpowered weapon so that my characters can steal the spotlight, if it's too much of an issue, I'll change the specs. Can't say it enough though, I'm being conservative with my characters, which should reflect by these guns.

    Also, we're not too sure how the needler reloads. The best theory I ever saw was one that involved the gun storing some kind of chemical, which would then react with oxygen to produce the needles we all know. However, it is possible that Humanity learned to crystallize whatever it is that forms needles into needles and perhaps even "harden" them somehow to improve penetrating power? This could also explain why the needles are now reloaded like human ammunition?

    I too am familiar with that theory, and was actually considering the reloading to be similar to that of a CO2 canister like thing that Humans had learned from the allied Elites, such as Anch. Which now reminds me, he might play a part later on, but not now, as I'm too encumbered by six different characters.

    Devastator Comments
    I love the fact that when used in conjunction with the smart lock, a hit is almost guaranteed. While this may take away some of the "skill", when you're fighting a desperate war... I think you want a large number of accurate snipers, even if they have to rely on technology to be accurate. 

    To be perfectly honest, it's not a matter of Phil or Morgan relying on the technology. They both are definitely competent snipers in their own right, but it certainly gives them a leg up on opposition with the Smart-link.

    Add that in to the Devastator's sheer destructive power, a squad of snipers with this weapon could probably take down a Promethean Battlewagon with little trouble from afar.

    I'd be alright with that, and I'm sure the other ODSTs turned Spartans would too.



    _________________


    \\'Boyo\\'

    Thanks for Reading!

    avatar
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

    Posts : 1350
    Join date : 2013-01-17
    Age : 22
    Location : The Great White North (Canada)

    Re: PoFE (Timeline and OTD)

    Post  Manny on February 28th 2014, 7:14 am

    Shad0wChas3r wrote:
    Manny wrote:Impaler Questions
     
    Why is the smart lock only on the Impaler? Is this simply a question of it being designed there first, and will be eventually implemented into different future sniper rifles?
     
    Simple, the weapon itself has shit accuracy. Therefore, ONI eggheads tried to implement a smart-lock technology to help boost it's accuracy. However, based on the nature of the homing technology, most of the spikes would need to take some pretty drastic angular turns to hit their target, therefore reducing the velocity with which it hits the enemy. The plausibility of this being added to the other Snipers is completely redundant, as the user can sync with friendly snipers' HUDs, therefore allowing them access to the system without requiring it for their weapons as well.

    A weapon with shit accuracy wouldn't exactly be put into service, at least not by human standards. If the Brutes go about using it like so, that's one thing. If it's going to be issued to Human soldiers, it's more than likely ONI would have implemented some "human" standards.
     
    As for adding it to other snipers, redundancy can be a good thing. For starters, adding it onto other sniper systems means that a group of snipers isn't forced to haul the Impaler around (if they don't want to). It also means that if, for whatever reason, the smart lock starts to malfunction on one sniper then the user can simply sync to another sniper regardless of what sniper rifle they are using.
     

    I don't really see any disadvantages to it. Maybe I'm missing some, but for the moment I don't see any.


    Shad0wChas3r wrote:
    Manny wrote:When you say that without the smart lock, the Impaler can pierce shields... do you mean to say that with smart lock it can't? Simply because of a lower velocity somehow produced by the smart lock? I don't see how having a scope affects the mechanism that fires the bullet. Putting a sight on an M16 doesn't affect the bullets themselves.


    As I said above, it has shit accuracy, and the Smart-lock would potentially make the spikes move at extreme angles to reach a target. This causes the projectile to slow down, and, at the cost of velocity, would also affect them amount of penetration. It's not the firing mechanism, or the sight itself that lowers penetration, it's the homing effect after firing. Again, the closer the rifleman is to a target, the more likely the rounds will pierce, because there is less of a chance of an angle change.
     
    Consider wind direction a factor with REAL weapons, if the wind affects a bullet too much, it won't have quite as much penetration. This is why Snipers alter their drop range on their snipers to give as much velocity as possible to counter the wind.


    Once again, weapons with shit accuracy wouldn't exactly fly by Human standards, and the UNSC had roots in the US military so I assume the standards are pretty high.
     
    Another question has come to my mind however. Smart lock guides the bullet's flight path? If so, then I suppose that part isn't too different, in theory, from my self guiding bullets idea.
     
    If the spike is required to turn, I accept that penetrating power is less. However, should the spike fire in a relatively straight line, or not bend too much, then in theory it should have the same penetrating power regardless of smart lock.
     

    I'd say smart lock Has the potential to decrease the penetrating power.

    Shad0wChas3r wrote:
    Manny wrote:Oh, and why is it that a sniper rifle becomes more dangerous the closer you are? It's designed to be deadly from far away, so why is the gun more lethal up close? That, in real life, would be a major design flaw I believe.

     
    You seem kinda frustrated with my design. I would have figured that a Brute fan such as yourself would've been giddy as hell seeing a design like this. It's like a Sniper, but could be classified as a DMR. It has the recoil of a sniper, but the mid/semi-long range capacity of a DMR.
     
    People called the DMR in Halo Reach/4 a psuedo sniper rifle, does that make it a sniper rifle? I certainly don't think so.

    Being a Brute fan doesn't mean I accept whatever happens to have "Brute" all over it. I sit back and analyze these things. If 343 had a gun that shot out flowers, but looked like a spiker, and said it was part of the Brute's new "peace loving nature" I'd call BS on the spot.
     
    Onto the Impaler itself though, if the weapon was developed solely by Brutes, I'd maybe be more willing to accept some of flaws because.... Brutes aren't really known for precision weapons. However, that fact that ONI was involved means that we have Human input and as such that kinda raises the standard for me.
     
    Anyways, I was under the impression that this was a sniper rifle because you claimed it was a Brute variant of the needler sniper idea. I assumed it was a sniper and as such addressed the weapon in such manner.
     
    As for recoil... being primarily designed for Brutes wouldn't the weight of it help keep it down? Kinda like the Spiker vs the SMG?

    Shad0wChas3r wrote:
    Manny wrote:One last thing, regarding your story post. Why can't the smart lock home in on heads? It may be a prototype, but what is physically stopping the software from homing in on heads? It's just another part of the body, so if it can lock onto the human body it should be able to do the whole thing.

     
    Let's be honest, this thing would be over-powered as fuck if it could breach shields while smart-locking, and could easily aim for the head. I wanted to create a weapon with flaws *remember the allied Brutes helped the UNSC design this thing* so that I wasn't stealing all the kills of all the other collaborators here. It is still a useful weapon, it's just so Phil doesn't snipe just about every Forerunner with one shot.
     
    I'm trying to be more conservative with my characters, and stop trying to play the hero all the time. By making my guns less than perfect, I can prevent my characters from remaining Gary Stu's.
     
    You might find it completely irrelevant to your question, but it's to benefit you guys in the long run. Besides, it's as you said, it's just a prototype, they can always perfect it later on, if the general consensus says 'yes'.


    Flaws in weapons =/= flaws in characters. You could give Rambo a rifle that jams every other shot, and he'd still kick ass because he's like the classic example of a Gary Stu. Dude NEVER dies, as far as I'm aware.


    To be honest, I'd think a better way to show a flaw in character is to have your thinking be reversed. Awesome weapon, shit user. For example, if Miller had THE most advanced pistol Humanity ever had... and STILL fucked up a shot, then you'd have to assume the error was mostly on his part. It'd also be somewhat humorous (but that's mainly because I don't see Miller as a Spartan at all).
     
    Besides, we're up against are OG Forerunners. "Realistically"  or "canonically" (or whatever you want to call it) I think that the Impaler, despite all its power, would at best... leave a severe dent in the Combat Skin of a Promethean soldier. 

    So no, I don't find it overpowered in any way. Not when our enemies are overpowered as fuck! By the way, that's not a complaint about our enemies, because they wouldn't be Forerunners if they weren't!

    Shad0wChas3r wrote:
    Manny wrote:These compromises seem to fit more in with a game than an actual warzone. We're trying to develop the deadliest weapons possible, don't hold back on the weapons!  Twisted Evil


     Which would be pretty epic if we saw them in Halo 5, but I digress. As I said above, I'm willing to make it a god-like weapon, if people generally say yes. I'm just trying to be conservative and stop playing the hero all the damn time. 'Cause when we do collabs, I feel like I'm always the one trying to take the spotlight, it's someone else's turn.
     
    But I appreciate the feedback you have given, so thank you!

    A god like weapon to Humans, is perhaps a decent weapon to Forerunners. At least that's how I see it.
     
    Man, nukes are really our best shot at anything against the Forerunners and even those reach a point where they aren't quite enough.
     
    Anyways, no problem about feedback Morgan. Sorry if I come off as too analytic but I've kinda grown accustomed to doing so. Fictional weapon designs and what not gets me REAL giddy these days. That's why I like to debate these things at length, but I forgot for a moment I wasn't on Nationstates (where these types of debates are quite common).

    As for taking the spotlight... sometimes I feel that way too buddy. By having Manuel go into these massive mental monologue type things, sometimes I feel like I'm making the story focus on him a little too much Sad
    avatar
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

    Posts : 1212
    Join date : 2013-01-17
    Location : A box in the United States.

    Re: PoFE (Timeline and OTD)

    Post  Bad John on March 1st 2014, 3:26 am

    Hm. I guess John's shielding would be Level 2, on par with a Major, but with faster recharge.

    His loadout for this mission is all over the place. Plasma Rifle, Shorty Shotgun, and a Scoped, Silenced Railgun.

    Forgot to mention that. The railgun John was given is built for long range sabotage, rather than assassination. It can put a slug through a vehicle, disabling an enemy's means of escape, or it can devastate a console or a fuel cell.

    It can, of course, be used on infantry as a long ranged solution, but it's a slower method. That's where Linda's normal sniper rifle comes into play. John removes their odds of escape or sabotages their equipment, and Linda preforms the actual elimination of high value targets. Then, when the enemy is weakened. This same rubric can be applied to close range. Maura or Jorge, with her grenade launcher or his heavy machine gun, devastate enemy equipment or heavy units, while Vance or Chief move in for close quarters combat to mop up the survivors.

    It puts John out of his element, but it's a solid strategy. :3
    avatar
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

    Posts : 1350
    Join date : 2013-01-17
    Age : 22
    Location : The Great White North (Canada)

    Re: PoFE (Timeline and OTD)

    Post  Manny on March 1st 2014, 11:12 am

    Bad John wrote:Hm. I guess John's shielding would be Level 2, on par with a Major, but with faster recharge.

    His loadout for this mission is all over the place. Plasma Rifle, Shorty Shotgun, and a Scoped, Silenced Railgun.

    Forgot to mention that. The railgun John was given is built for long range sabotage, rather than assassination. It can put a slug through a vehicle, disabling an enemy's means of escape, or it can devastate a console or a fuel cell.

    It can, of course, be used on infantry as a long ranged solution, but it's a slower method. That's where Linda's normal sniper rifle comes into play. John removes their odds of escape or sabotages their equipment, and Linda preforms the actual elimination of high value targets. Then, when the enemy is weakened. This same rubric can be applied to close range. Maura or Jorge, with her grenade launcher or his heavy machine gun, devastate enemy equipment or heavy units, while Vance or Chief move in for close quarters combat to mop up the survivors.

    It puts John out of his element, but it's a solid strategy. :3
    Like, THIS gun? 

    As for Linda using, what I assume to be a relatively regular sniper, I'd imagine that she'd use her skills to shoot Promethean Knights in the eyes, hitting their weak spot (the skull)? One other question about Linda; I assume she's using the new standard issue bullets right? The ones that self-propel/self-guide, since they offer better penetrating power (even if she might be iffy about the self-guiding thing).

    As for OG Prometheans... I suppose she'd go for their visor but I highly doubt it's made of glass as we know. It's probably something super tough Sad
    avatar
    Bad John
    Freelancer Operative

    Posts : 1212
    Join date : 2013-01-17
    Location : A box in the United States.

    Re: PoFE (Timeline and OTD)

    Post  Bad John on March 1st 2014, 12:54 pm

    Yeah, that's pretty much what I had in mind for John's rifle, except shorter. More of a railgun aesthetic.

    Linda uses self propelled, high caliber rounds, but she forgoes any self guiding bullets. With her aim, anything that tries to correct her kinda annoys her a bit. I'd presume that any prideful marksman, such as Lucy or Linda, would just want ammunition that goes straight, and nothing more.

    Although, bullets that don't have a drop factor due to gravity, or lose power over a vast distance, are certainly welcome to her. Hence her picking the self propelling bullets. Humanity's best sniper needs humanity's strongest bullets. :)
    avatar
    Manny
    Freelancer Operative

    Posts : 1350
    Join date : 2013-01-17
    Age : 22
    Location : The Great White North (Canada)

    Re: PoFE (Timeline and OTD)

    Post  Manny on March 2nd 2014, 1:36 am

    I think I found a weakness in Forerunners...

    Halopedia wrote:Personal armor granted its wearer immunity to most diseases. In emergency situations, the armor could suspend its user until they were rescued, and even provide nourishment for a time. Most Forerunner armor was capable of keeping the wearer alive for years without outside influences. If operational, the armor would also preserve the wearer's body after death. Forerunner armor also served as a powered exoskeleton, assisting or enhancing the wearer's movement. Personal armor was sealed against vacuum or the lack of atmosphere. Most if not all Forerunner armor possessed N-barriers and a system involving lenses to protect the user from harm
    Also, considering the Forerunners have been gone for so long... diseases have had time to evolve. Humanity is up to date with them, the Forerunners are not.

    It's also been said one of the reasons for their downfall against the Flood (a biological foe) was their slowness to adapt to a biological foe. Chemical weapons might work as well, if used in a similar manner as a biological weapon.

    Sponsored content

    Re: PoFE (Timeline and OTD)

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is September 20th 2017, 5:20 am